Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So What if K-Mount is Discontinued?

I've read a LOT of threads recently that focused on the rumors that the K-5 has been discontinued, and Pentax (as per Ricoh) is abandoning the K-mount and going their mirrorless full frame, or whatever. A lot of people have sworn this won't be happening. A lot of expressed indifference, and others have declared that the death of K-mount means the death of their ownership in anything branded Pentax. Some have even gone to the point of saying that they have stopped buy lenses and accessories just to see what the future holds. While a smart move economically I guess, I can't help but feel torn at these sentiments. My actions as of late clearly prove my point:

• I just...JUST bought the DA* 50-135, and I am becoming quite the pain in the rear with my post office (such sweet ladies) as I go in there everyday and check my box. Sometimes multiple times a day (don't judge me).
  • I JUST ordered the battery grip for my K-5. Again...further reason my post office knows who I am)
  • I JUST ordered the Metz AF 50-1 (reason number three )
  • I have been eying the DA* 55/1.4 for the past several weeks. I am very, very close to using the justification that I will make the money back while deployed (which is coming up soon) to just hit the "Confirm Checkout" button. I'll make it back in less than a month, and I won't be spending money down there. (Typing that definitely did not make this easier to abstain...)
  • I have been drooling over the 50-500 OS (New Bigma) to finally explore wildlife photography. The pictures I have seen from it are just...incredible, especially when you consider the price and zoom range.
  • I have considered selling/trading my DA 12-24 in favor of the Sigma 8-16 for the wider wideness of it (thoughts on IQ differences and experiences with going from either 12-24 --> 8-16 or 8-16 --> 12-24 would be much appreciated)
(I am aware that this could lead some to having me written off as some spoiled rich kid riding daddy's inheritance...I assure you it is not - I work upwards of 100 hours a week in the Army in preparation for a combat tour and a year ago I went from a measly $300-500 a month salary to now Lieutenant's pay (what I would consider overpay, much to the complete disagreement of my peers)...let's just say that my lifestyle at home has remained the same with regard to not going out to dinner much and eating cheaply via cooking, etc., and I have used the additional income to fund my photography and sense of adventure, what money is meant for imho )

Anyway, we all want the best, the brightest, the newest, etc. Well most of us, and unfortunately, I find myself in that camp more than I'd like to admit, but hey, I'm human. But I have also read an intriguing amount of users that still have not upgraded, and are proudly touting their K10/20 variants. And most of the pictures that are produced with those are so much superior to mine, even with my new K5.

Through coming to this realization, I have determined that even if the death of K-mount was announced tomorrow morning, I would still happily grab another K-5 as my back-up (still waiting for the prices to drop further for this move), continue my collecting of appropriate K-mount lenses, and be happy with what I would consider one of the best systems to ever have been created for the next 5, maybe 10 years. The best for *me* that's for sure.

I love Pentax, I really do. I spent 6 months harassing DPR (I didn't know of this forum at the time) trying to figure out what camera system to get. I know how annoying those "Which DSLR?" threads can become so monotonous and annoying, but I did my research, and the K-7 at the time was the best camera in the world for my needs (rugged, weather sealed, compact, etc). The K-5 maintains that and improves upon it in every way I can think of, and significantly more than a typical 1-camera upgrade should.

So if they kill k-mount, yes, I would be upset because that would mean no upgrades to the K5, which is intriguing just to think about...and there's still so many lenses that Pentax needs to make in DA*! But even still, there's already so many that my *needs* are fully fulfilled as of now and for a long while after. Wants are different than needs, and I recognize that (though my above bullet list doesn't exemplify that lol)

So my question still stands: if K-mount finds its direction only pointing to the past, who cares?

Not the guy holding his two K-5's.

-Heie

01-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think K mount is dead anyway, nor I think FF mirrorless is viable at this stage (especially for Pentax brand, engineering and manufacturing ability). K mount products might be labelled as Ricoh and I don't really care so long as my existing lenses will fit and function as they should. In the worst case, K mount lenses can be used on EOS bodies via adaptor.
01-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has in the past changed their mount, but it has always been backwards compatible, at least by using an adapter.

I don't think that the Pentax brand currently has a following large enough to allow Ricoh to walk away from the K mount. They in fact indicated that they bought Pentax because of the product line, not in spite of it. If they retire the K mount then they have just reduced their investment. That wont happen.

Give Ricoh at least 6 to 8 months to bring something forward. Hoya built the Pentax brand solely to sell it, which means they probably didn't invest money for R&D of future products.
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

TBH OP, .... TLDR

I would just pick up a K5 and keep my stuff as it will fulfill 100% of my future needs (and likely ability)
I am the limiting factor.

The next step equipment wise is probably one I am not worthy to take.

01-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Not sure why Ricoh would discontinue the K mount?

I first owned a Ricoh camera over 30 years ago and, as far as I know, Ricoh always used the K mount for their cameras.

I got into Pentax because Pentax lenses were compatible with Ricoh and vice versa.
01-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My immediate reaction is [expletives deleted] NOT AGAIN! Has paranoia become contagious? Has every statement from Ricoh been a lie? Did Ricoh buy Pentax, whose main asset is its lens continuity, just to shut it down? [/me shakes head, walks away sadly]
01-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
TBH OP, .... TLDR

I would just pick up a K5 and keep my stuff as it will fulfill 100% of my future needs (and likely ability)
I am the limiting factor.

The next step equipment wise is probably one I am not worthy to take.

That's exactly my point.

To the others, I am not saying I think it will die....in fact common sense simply refuses to allow it - Ricoh just bought a company where the MAJORITY of it's systems are K-mount...why would they kill it? I refuse to believe it. The crux of my post was just to say...if for some reason it *happens*, I will be initially upset, but that isn't going to stop me from investing in K-mount through the K-5.

-Heie

01-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I picked up my repaired K-5 today and dropped off my 50-135 to get the zoom mechanism tightened up. The Pentax rep here from CR Kennedy told me that Ricoh will take over the small format and Pentax will remain the DSLR camera part of the business. He said that Pentax/Ricoh have been unusually quiet but wouldn't rule out a FF although he thought it unlikely. His opinion was they'd just keep trying to get the most out of the APS-C format sensor for the foreseeable future.
01-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Did Ricoh buy Pentax, whose main asset is its lens continuity, just to shut it down? [/me shakes head, walks away sadly]
You can continue to use K lenses on a new mount. It shouldn't be hard for them to actually do a good job now by providing an adapter that allows you to use lenses without losing much functionality compared to the current crippled K-mount behavior. They wouldn't want to risk that $125M investment now by not providing that lens continuity, would they?
01-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #10

What is all the fuss?... if you want a new K-mount DSLR then buy a new K-5 or K-r... and if you own a K-mount camera and need a new lens, then why would you postpone buying a K-mount lens just because we don't know what's coming next?

I have purchased almost 40 K-mount lenses over the last 21 years. I'd love too know that the K-mount has a long and secure future but until Pentax-Ricoh make their next move this is pure guess work and fear mongering.

I'm prepared to be patient and wait for a deliberate announcement regarding new products and roadmap when Pentax-Ricoh are satisfied they have got it right. I'd rather wait for the next classic, than a summer movie rushed out in time for a consumer expo in Vegas. Who ever remembers what happens in Vegas anyway!!!
01-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My immediate reaction is [expletives deleted] NOT AGAIN! Has paranoia become contagious? Has every statement from Ricoh been a lie? Did Ricoh buy Pentax, whose main asset is its lens continuity, just to shut it down? [/me shakes head, walks away sadly]
Hmmm....spoken by a guy named......Rico.

Jason
01-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think all this discussion about the future is a waste of time and effort. At this point pentax is not big enough to abandon their existing user base with a new mount. Canon was and screwed over its users base twice by making. Hanged that rendered legacy lenses useless. I am actually happy with their present size. Bug enough to matter small enough to care
01-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Agreed... This discussion is useless. Backwards compatibility is Pentax only BIG selling point. Giving that up would be the instantanious end of the brand.
01-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #14

I do like my K5 and love using it, BUT abandoning the K-Mount would really scare me of, why? Well Why should i invest into something completly new, with all the money which is needed and still HOPE that in the future there will be more stuff like lenses, because the new mount wont come with 10+ lenses.

When we talk about this amount of money, why shouldn't i invest it into something which offers me more then i need right now and not in an unsure future?

Of course if Pentax would ditch the K-Mount AND offers everything i need, i might stay with pentax...

In addition to that the third party manufactures might not adopt the "new"-Mount because some even dont produce for K anymore...
01-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think all this discussion about the future is a waste of time and effort. At this point pentax is not big enough to abandon their existing user base with a new mount. Canon was and screwed over its users base twice by making. Hanged that rendered legacy lenses useless. I am actually happy with their present size. Bug enough to matter small enough to care
On the other hand, Canon's change came up with a much more functional AF mount, and their market share suffered only briefly, then climbed. Some analysts credit their strong dSLR position to the decision to start fresh on the mount. I still like the old FL/FD Canon film cameras, and the lenses are cheap on the used market because they don't fit their new digital cameras! So the change was bad for folks selling used, good for those buying...