Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
firmware update for K100D/K110D and others

There's a firmware update available for the K100D/K110D and, I think, some of the *ist cameras. You can get to the page for the K100D by clicking here. Please check carefully to make sure your camera is one of those covered; you might want to click the "Return to firmware page" link on the left (or click here) and use the menus there to select the update for your camera model.

Here's what the Read Me says:

VERSION HISTORY
Version 1.02:
  • Improved support for SDHC memory cards.
Version 1.01:
  • Support for SDHC memory cards.
  • Focal length input into the Shake Reduction menu can now be displayed accurately in Pentax Photo Browser 3.
But I have heard that there may be other silent improvements that make it worthwhile for everybody to upgrade. I am not personally recommending it as I am not an expert. I'm simply passing on the news that it's available. I did upgrade my own K100D.

WP

12-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Thanks for the Info WP I had been looking at the Pentax USA site and say this too, but I haven't got my k100 yet and downloaded the firmware upgrade in expectation. It will be very useful for the SR firmware and also since I plan to use 4 gig cards it will be necessary. I have been using 2 gig in my DL ever since the week after our Gettysburg shoot. I like the idea of not running out of storage or having to save space for later shots. I would rather not have to plan on what to shoot. Gettysburg I filled 4 one gig cards and wish I had about 4 more gig.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for finding that, just updated my DL. I wonder what it does? 1.02 already supported big cards...
12-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Thanks for finding that, just updated my DL. I wonder what it does? 1.02 already supported big cards...
This *is* the 1.02 update.

I read somewhere else that it may quietly fix some problems, such as focusing in low-light and such. I do not know if that's the case or not, although I can say that it's not uncommon for companies to fix bugs and other technical weaknesses in their products quietly without admitting that there ever WERE problems....

Will

12-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

1.01 was supposed to give larger card suport this one claims to improve it.. but u never know what else it might do..

i dont really need to use over 2 gig cards but apart from the small risk of making your camera inoperative.. why not..

the deed is done.. he he

trog
12-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Image Number

When they updated the filmware for the DS the first time, we had to transfer the last image we took back to the card to prevent the camera from reseting the image numbers to zero. If your camera does reset after installing the new filmware, just copy the last image you shot to the memory card and take another picture. Your image numbers will continue from where you left off.
12-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i will check the renumbering thing.. thanks for the tip..

trog

12-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

DS firmware 2.02 update

Has anyone had success updating their DS firmware to 2.02?
I can't get this one to work. I've had no problems with the previous updates.
I load it on the SD card.
Press menu button and turn on camera.
It is supposed to load the update.
But all that happens is that it shows the current 2.01 firmware.
I downloaded the firmware for a mac.
Any ideas?

Ralph
12-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

As a matter of fact I finally updated mine last night. It is always a scary thing to do ( I think) Make sure that when you load it on the card make sure it is on the top file and not inside the folder. I at first had a problem finding the file inside the download but was able to find it. MAke sure you have the FWDC131B.BIN file on the card. Mine took about three or four minutes but worked no problem. Good luck. follow word for word the instructions from here Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

good luck.
12-24-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i deleted the dcm folder from my card.. just had the .bin file on there.. if its the right file it has to find it then..

the danger is the camera loseing power while the job is being done.. or the user turning the camera off before its fully finished..

its the basic operating system for the camera.. if it gets corrupted the camera is dead and has to go off to pentax to be fixed..

make sure u delete the .bin file after the job is done as well..

trog
12-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Inactive Account

update successful!

Thanks guys,

I updated successfully after reading your messages.
The problem was that I was putting the file inside the folder on the card.
All is well again.

Happy holiday,

Ralph
12-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I just did the updates as

I just did the updates as well, and it only took about 5 min for everything. I hope that there's some improvement, although I was really happy with my camera even without them.
12-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #13

Just did my update, No Problems

Thanks for the link and instructions. I Just followed instruction and it was a snap. I did not have any problems. My camera even remembered the last file number. Now all i need is some super fast sd cards.

Razr,
12-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I did the update for my K100D as well. I haven't noticed any changes but it must be because the camera is so new to me anyway
Thanks!
12-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #15

Firmware updates always scare me, but I just put in FW1.02 into my K100D.

I wonder if they added a little more margin for the battery warning. I had some older niMH's that previously wouldn't power up my K100D and now they come up with a battery half-dead warning. Ahh, it's probably just the placebo effect. They've had plenty of experience with the earlier DSLR's to know what they needed for AA power.