Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Possible problem with manual lens on KR

Hey,

When I use my manual lens in my kr and put it on 'm' mode then put it to say, f8, and then do the stop-down metering thing, the image through the viewfinder becomes blurry, depite the fact that I have just focused the lens. When I press the shutter release, the mirror jumps up again and it is no longer blurry through the viewfinder. Also, sometimes rather than making a single clank, the shutter makes a double clank, as if I was firing in live view... Is this normal? Feedbcak appreciated.

Charles

01-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, Charles... I get the same behavior with my M50 and K-r! It only happens occasionally, though. You might try re-seating the lens to ensure tight contacts. Otherwise, I'd love to hear the resolution to this.
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Hi, Charles... I get the same behavior with my M50 and K-r! It only happens occasionally, though. You might try re-seating the lens to ensure tight contacts. Otherwise, I'd love to hear the resolution to this.
I get it with my M50 f1.7 and chinon 28mm f2.8 (manual also)
01-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a bug in the camera- hopefully a firmware fix is being worked on!

01-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Bare metal lens mount, or painted/anodized black? I had a similar issue with a particular lens, and solved it by insulating the contacts from the lens. However, to use CIF, or some other features, you would have to allow shorting of the data contact, at least (if you don't use CIF, don't worry about it).
01-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Bare metal lens mount, or painted/anodized black? I had a similar issue with a particular lens, and solved it by insulating the contacts from the lens. However, to use CIF, or some other features, you would have to allow shorting of the data contact, at least (if you don't use CIF, don't worry about it).
Cheers-what CIF?
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

CIF means "Catch in Focus". It's when you set up the camera to fire automatically when something enters the focused area of the scene. I haven't found much use for it yet, but some people like it.

01-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Huh?
This is the way I read this:
  • Manual focus lens
  • Becomes blurry after stopdown
  • resolves after shutter cycle
A few things to consider:
  • AF system is ruled out and that includes catch-in-focus (lens focus is not coupled to body)
  • Mirror is ruled out (does not move during stop-down)
Normally, I would suspect that there is a mechanical issue with the lens that shows itself when the aperture is actuated. Having the problem with two lenses rules that out. Are you sure this does not happen with your AF lenses as well?

Steve
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh?
This is the way I read this:
  • Manual focus lens
  • Becomes blurry after stopdown
  • resolves after shutter cycle
A few things to consider:
  • AF system is ruled out and that includes catch-in-focus (lens focus is not coupled to body)
  • Mirror is ruled out (does not move during stop-down)
Normally, I would suspect that there is a mechanical issue with the lens that shows itself when the aperture is actuated. Having the problem with two lenses rules that out. Are you sure this does not happen with your AF lenses as well?

Steve
it happens with the chinon-when u stop down ur manuals, does the image in the viewfinder shift at all?
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

Hi Chaz.

I have had occasional problems with the manual lens I use. The image in the viewfinder didn't go blurry but dimmer. I am pretty sure this is the aperture blades sticking.
04-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
renegat59

Have the same problem with my 6-weeks-old K-r (with two lenses, Ricoh 50/1.7, Ricoh 28/2.8). I investigated a bit and I think that:
1. The blurry view is because the mirror doesn't fall properly, it stops 2-3mm above the down position
2. Some people says its a power problem, using the normal AA batteries should solve it (havent try yet)
3. It happens in some particular circumstances - NOT fully charged battery and probably have some temperature dependence too... Happend much more often when it was colder (like 10-15C) but this one I'm not sure..
I'm sending my camera to the service and see what they say..
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #12

I've had my KR for about 2 months, and noticed this for the first time last weekend with my M50 1.4. Image in view finder slips out of focus immediately after stopping down. Remedied by tripping the shutter, which caused an unusual double click, like the sound of taking a picture in LV. To me it seemed to be something to do with the position of the mirror. It seemed to stop doing it after I changed the switch on the camera from AF to MF, but this may be coincidence. My battery was getting a bit low, and it was a bit chilly at the time. Renegat - Would be interested to know what the service people say to you.
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
renegat59

Now I had to postpone the service, becuse I'm going for a trip and they told me they wont manage to finish it within 2 weeks Anyway.. I'm going to buy the battery pack and see if using the AA batteries will help. I'll update when I know something.
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by owatkinson Quote
I've had my KR for about 2 months, and noticed this for the first time last weekend with my M50 1.4. Image in view finder slips out of focus immediately after stopping down. Remedied by tripping the shutter, which caused an unusual double click, like the sound of taking a picture in LV. To me it seemed to be something to do with the position of the mirror. It seemed to stop doing it after I changed the switch on the camera from AF to MF, but this may be coincidence. My battery was getting a bit low, and it was a bit chilly at the time. Renegat - Would be interested to know what the service people say to you.
That's exactly the problem I have EXACTLY but with my M50 1.7!
04-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
renegat59

Chaza, have you found any solution?