Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
cadmus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 132
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
... Unfortunately, their marketing department seems to have never taken the sorts of initiatives needed for something like this to happen...
2nd that.

01-12-2012, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Try telling Fuji to wake up and move on.

There's certainly a market for compact, well-built, high-quality cameras with manual controls, as they demonstrated. Current DSLRs are big, bulky, have small optical viewfinders and are nowhere as rewarding to operate compared to earlier SLRs. People have just got used to it because digital is much more convenient, but DSLRs are real frankensteins from a product design perspective.
The X-Pro1 is based on RF concept while the LX is modular SLR. Will Pentax be able to produce a FF DSLR in LX dimension? No. How about APS-C? No. Is a modular body needed these days? No. Will Pentax users pay $$$$ for such high $ body? Yes on forums, no in reality. The LX concept worked in late 70's and early 80's, but technologies have marched on and so are everyone else, except some Pentax users who live in the past due to the lack of satisfaction with modern Pentax gears. Shrinking existing DSLRs smaller is nice but they will never be LX like or even close.
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
Could it be possible for Pentax to make entry-level gear weathersealed again like they released the K200D?
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Could it be possible for Pentax to make entry-level gear weathersealed again like they released the K200D?
I don't see why not, but for the seal to work effectively, metal body is preferred imho because it doesn't flex like plastic when stressed by the seals.

01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
cadmus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 132
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Could it be possible for Pentax to make entry-level gear weathersealed again like they released the K200D?
I 2nd that, also
01-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,555
I don't understand what's so attractive about a camera body that doesn't have a hand grip. I frequently shoot my K-x holding it with just one hand, and I can do it confidently because of the grip. I don't see myself doing that with a completely flat camera body, especially when I've got $700 or $800 of glass hanging off the front of the camera.
01-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LONDON
Posts: 136
Original Poster
Do any of you think a retro styled ASP-C mirrorless K mount would be a hit (forgetting the LX modular stuff)? Ie basically just copying the fuji concept, but with K mount instead...
01-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,116
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Do any of you think a retro styled ASP-C mirrorless K mount would be a hit (forgetting the LX modular stuff)? Ie basically just copying the fuji concept, but with K mount instead...
It would be a hit with me, basically a "digital MX" like I've wished for before. To me the main selling point of the LX was the metering system (OTF) and solid construction. The modular was just sales fluff for most of us.

01-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
Do any of you think a retro styled ASP-C mirrorless K mount would be a hit (forgetting the LX modular stuff)? Ie basically just copying the fuji concept, but with K mount instead...
There are 2 approaches that I can imagine:

1) A thinner mirrorless body with K mount - The problem with this approach is that existing K lenses will be useless even though can be mounted. This will cause great confusion w/o benefit.

2) A mirrorless K mount body with the same flange focal distance - all existing K lenses will be compatible but you wonder why do away the mirror at all and future lens designs won't benefit from shorter flange focal distance.

Either case makes no sense and if Pentax will ever make a mirrorless, a new mount will be needed. The X-Pro1 is what the mirrorless should be and I doubt Pentax could do any better.
01-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,555
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
There are 2 approaches that I can imagine:

1) A thinner mirrorless body with K mount - The problem with this approach is that existing K lenses will be useless even though can be mounted. This will cause great confusion w/o benefit.

2) A mirrorless K mount body with the same flange focal distance - all existing K lenses will be compatible but you wonder why do away the mirror at all and future lens designs won't benefit from shorter flange focal distance.
Couldn't they kind of kill both birds with one stone by making the thin, mirrorless camera, and including a high-quality K-mount adapter in the box? The adapter could be coated in an identical finish to the camera body, so it would look like part of the camera when mounted.
01-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Couldn't they kind of kill both birds with one stone by making the thin, mirrorless camera, and including a high-quality K-mount adapter in the box? The adapter could be coated in an identical finish to the camera body, so it would look like part of the camera when mounted.
Certainly can, that would be a new mount for the mirrorless then.
01-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LONDON
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Certainly can, that would be a new mount for the mirrorless then.
With Pentax's experience in the pancake lens department, I could imagine a relatively pocketable morrorless system even with the flange distance restrictions- for me, K mount is a must (I guess I could settle for an adapter as long as it was included and looked pretty neat- the main reason for this is although fuji has been quite popular with semi-pros/ enthusiasts as a portable solution, I could imagine newbies being enticed by the retro styling (as they were with fuji) and (with a pancake) the portability- tying consumers in to invest in the K-mount would obviously increase the market for higher up the chain, if they invest in glass they are likely to, at some point, upgrade to a more expensive pentax DSLR (or whatever the equivalent). The fact is this: the K mount has some of the best glass, and a lot of it available on the used market- the internet is littered with people adapting pentax or whatever onto the micro 4/3 or NEX systems why not provide a proper solution? We already have a large amount of pancakes that would really go with the portability aspect of this system. I would ditch the mirror because (a) It's Ricoh... (b) Weight (another consideration) (c) Would we have space (I would rather ditch the mirror if it allowed SR)? . Even if you wouldn't buy such a body yourself (I certainly would, pancakes only provide a light not pocketable solution when on body at the moment), the amount of people flocking to use a K MOUNT system would be quite substantial, it could shape their upgrade choices... The X-pro 1's lenses are pretty big (have you seen the 35mm?)- if X-pro 1 is a hit, then a pentax equivalent with better and more compact glass would be a winner! Pentax will always be better than Fuji with the most important part of any camera, the glass... I would call it a Me digital
01-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by chaza01 Quote
The fact is this: the K mount has some of the best glass, and a lot of it available on the used market- the internet is littered with people adapting pentax or whatever onto the micro 4/3 or NEX systems why not provide a proper solution? We already have a large amount of pancakes that would really go with the portability aspect of this system. I would ditch the mirror because (a) It's Ricoh... (b) Weight (another consideration) (c) Would we have space (I would rather ditch the mirror if it allowed SR)? . Even if you wouldn't buy such a body yourself (I certainly would, pancakes only provide a light not pocketable solution when on body at the moment), the amount of people flocking to use a K MOUNT system would be quite substantial, it could shape their upgrade choices... The X-pro 1's lenses are pretty big (have you seen the 35mm?)- if X-pro 1 is a hit, then a pentax equivalent with better and more compact glass would be a winner! Pentax will always be better than Fuji with the most important part of any camera, the glass... I would call it a Me digital
Why not a solution that can use all existing Pentax glass, and new even better glass that is not possible to do in K-mount? One of the biggest advantage of using shorter register distance is that wide angle glass can be improved and they can use big apertures without being extremely expensive.

If comparing distance from sensor to the front of the lens (total distance of the optical path) a Pentax K-mount system has a clear disadvantage in size. Then it will also have a much bigger size penalty for UWA lenses. The only way for Pentax to do as small 18mm lens as Fuji X-Pro 18/2 would be for Pentax to use much smaller aperture. But how fun would it be with something like a 18/4.5 pancake?

With Fuji X-Pro register distance of 17.7mm compared to Pentax K-mount 45,46mm, which make the X-Pro almost 28mm shorter.

Pentax K-mount with DA 21/3.2 makes the whole optical path 70.46 mm.
Fuji X-pro with 18/2 makes the whole optical path 58.3 mm.
Not very big difference in size, but the Fuji lens is wider and much faster, and Fuji X-Pro system is not about smallest possible size.
If comparing wider lenses it makes an even bigger difference, I would not be surprised if Fujis upcoming 14mm lens will be both faster and much, much smaller than Pentax DA 14/2.8.

I just feel that if Pentax will not do anything new and only continue K-mount they will find it difficult to attract new users in the future, and they have to get all money from existing users. And it's not to hard to understand that this will increase prices or Pentax can't make any profit.
01-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LONDON
Posts: 136
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Why not a solution that can use all existing Pentax glass, and new even better glass that is not possible to do in K-mount? One of the biggest advantage of using shorter register distance is that wide angle glass can be improved and they can use big apertures without being extremely expensive.

If comparing distance from sensor to the front of the lens (total distance of the optical path) a Pentax K-mount system has a clear disadvantage in size. Then it will also have a much bigger size penalty for UWA lenses. The only way for Pentax to do as small 18mm lens as Fuji X-Pro 18/2 would be for Pentax to use much smaller aperture. But how fun would it be with something like a 18/4.5 pancake?

With Fuji X-Pro register distance of 17.7mm compared to Pentax K-mount 45,46mm, which make the X-Pro almost 28mm shorter.

Pentax K-mount with DA 21/3.2 makes the whole optical path 70.46 mm.
Fuji X-pro with 18/2 makes the whole optical path 58.3 mm.
Not very big difference in size, but the Fuji lens is wider and much faster, and Fuji X-Pro system is not about smallest possible size.
If comparing wider lenses it makes an even bigger difference, I would not be surprised if Fujis upcoming 14mm lens will be both faster and much, much smaller than Pentax DA 14/2.8.

I just feel that if Pentax will not do anything new and only continue K-mount they will find it difficult to attract new users in the future, and they have to get all money from existing users. And it's not to hard to understand that this will increase prices or Pentax can't make any profit.
Good point- the problem is that one of Pentax's main selling points is backwards lens compatibility - I think that if they were going to go down that path, they would need to bring out a converter that allowed AF with K-mount lenses, and bundle it in with the camera too! But I see where you're coming from, and also think a new mount would probably be the way forward, but they would have to bundle in that converter (Pentax chose not to bundle the AA battery converter with the Kr, which annoyed me greatly)
01-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
With bundling a adapter Pentax would have hard time to compete with other brands for new users that has no need of backward compatibility. And most old users of K-mount will probably prefer a K-mount camera as they work better for them.

There's just no one-for-all solution that can be optimized for all different users.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, camera, controls, dream, dslr, dslrs, fuji, k-mount, lx, mirrorless, pentax, pentax lx, photography, ricoh
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Pentax make a K3 (or whatever...) DaveHolmes Pentax DSLR Discussion 79 10-05-2011 05:43 PM
Make room for one more Pentax. Redtabby Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-20-2011 05:01 AM
What DA* ZOOM's would you like PENTAX to make? Adrian Owerko Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 49 01-08-2011 05:05 AM
Digital can make you a much better photographer-am I right? lesmore49 Photographic Technique 41 06-09-2009 07:52 AM
How to make Slide films digital hrishi Photographic Technique 14 07-01-2008 03:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top