Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Purple pictures

Hello!

I have been out in the cold weather recently and taken some pictures, I've noticed that when I first start my K10D outside, my pictures gets a purple tint, and it takes about ten seconds until I can take pictures with normal colors. Until then, I only get these "purple pictures".

Do anyone know what could be the problem?
Is sending away my camera for reparation the best thing to do?

___
Sebbe

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

How many shots do you take within 10 seconds of turning your camera on outside? I've never noticed this on my K10D, but It usually takes me 30 seconds to take a shot. Regardless, its still a strange issue and I would contact Pentax and see what they think about it.
12-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I can start shooting as soon as i turn my K10D on.

Sounds like you have a problem. Are you set on AWB. Maybe its being fooled for some reason.

Can you tell us what you are using for settings.?

Dave
12-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #4

Definetely looks like bad WB. Maybe it was locked on "flash" and you forgot it?

12-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #5

Just a thought - have you tried shooting in RAW and later correcting the WB ?
If it is some sort of WB problem you should still get perfect pictures later, but if the problem is somewhere else (ie. sensor not capturing some colors etc.) then the result would most likely be unusable.
12-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hey!

Thanks alot for all the quick anwsers!

Well, I usually keep my camer aturned off, so it is quite often I take pictures as soon as the camera is on.

I've noticed that for how long I have to wait until I can take normal pictures depends on the temperature, for example; If I start my camera inside at around 20C and take a picture as fast as possible, it gets purple, but the next shot gets normal colors.

I've tried different WBs, both before I take the picture and after in ACR.. nothing of that helps.

It seems that the only colors that the camera register is black, white and purple. I have tried to lower the saturation of the purple color, and increase the saturation of other colors that should be in the picture, like green, yellow etc. but the only thing that happens is that the picture turns either very purple or BW.

Well, the settings I use vary a lot, shutterspeeds and aperture doesn't matter, neither do the lens (have tried with different). I have increased sharpening and saturation a bit. I have tried both AWB and othe WBs.
12-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Are you shooting in temperature colder than the recommended operating range? I think there is no WB setting that produces a purple image from daylight. Something else is the problem. I would reset to factory default settings, charge the battery, and try again...If you have the same problem, I would send the camera to Pentax with some sample images.
12-30-2007, 04:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
When I were out last time the temperature were about 6C, but there were really windy.

Ah, okay, I will try that. Thank you!