Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
One thing i'm bummed about is the lack of split screen focusing for MF lenses. I need to fix this sooner than later =o]

01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

I've had my k100ds for almost a year and am very happy with it. I never use it on MF, but recently the AF on my kit lens died, and I had to use MF. Once I worked with it for a half hour or so and got the hang of it, I found it easier to use than the MF on any other camera I've had. I think you'll find it pretty easy once you get used to it.... I'm now lusting after a k-7, and my DH is pushing me to get one so he can have my k100ds, as he's tried it out and really likes it....
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #18

Original Poster
One thing I can't figure out is how to keep the histogram from showing up either after taking a picture, or doing a preview. It gets in the way and is a bit annoying.
01-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Forum Member

You can set your playback mode so that the histogram doesn't display. Check your playback menu; I set mine to "standard" and the histogram doesn't show.... Or maybe I'm not quite understanding what you're saying? That could be, as I'm pretty new to this--after a year, I'm just getting a lot "more" out of my photos than I was at the beginning!

01-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #20

Original Poster
It is set to Standard, but still shows up.
01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Forum Member

Then I have no clue! Must be something in the settings, but hopefully one of the experts (and I'm obviously not one!) will come along and be able to help.

I can see how this would be disconcerting to you, though. It would be for me, too.
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ComputerControlled Quote
One thing i'm bummed about is the lack of split screen focusing for MF lenses. I need to fix this sooner than later =o]
Since you're on a budget, go to eBay & pick up a split screen for it for about $20. They work very well. I have one of those in my K100D, in fact. Installation's not difficult as long as you're careful, but it can be a time consuming pain in the butt to get it shimmed just right so everything's in focus. You'll also want to order a set of shims from Pentax. They're about $6-$8 for a set.

The K100D is still a great camera. I'm sure you'll dig it!

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
01-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #23

Original Poster
I figured it out. It was in the Preview Display section.

01-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There are some for whom it might come down to a secondary concern, though - TTL flash support on DS versus SDM focus support on K100D (be sure to get "Super" model for that, though).
this is the tough call.

I had an *istD when the K100 came out, and the change was not enough to make me trade. by the time the K10D came out the benefits were enough to get one, but I still kept my *istD, and am glad I did. Lack of TTL support somehow got missed when I researched the K10D, and I ended up getting a new flash (to replace the AF500FTZ) but I still use my *istD a lot in ttl mode, with older glass, and for me, as long as the OP is getting the 6MP camera as a second body, it really comes down to a question of HSM support plus SR, vs better Manual lens functionality and TTL flash.

I would take the DS, just to have more capability in my kit. I consider upgrades to expand capability, not just get the newest