Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron lens correction compatability

I have the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 fitted to a K5.... My lens correction facility on camera wont work ?
Is this a compatability problem with Tamron or is there another reason as this should happen ?
CAs are very high on this lens, which meens its not practical to shoot jpgs while its not working !

01-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Page 219 of your book. THis is only available for Pentax lense and only DA , DAL, D FA and some FA
01-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Page 219 of your book. THis is only available for Pentax lense and only DA , DAL, D FA and some FA
Yes I have seen and read that, but most say a simlar thing but usualy other brand lenses are made fully compatable.
I shall seriously regret buying this lens if this turns out to be the case. Eeeeeeek I hope not lol
Have you or anyone got this lens ?
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I Have other Tamron and Sigma and it's not available (Gray out)

01-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why worry about it when you can do a far better job of correcting the lens distortion via post processing? It'll speed up your shooting in the field and will likely yield better results.

There are Adobe lens profiles out there for both the Sigma and the Tamron 17-50mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Why worry about it when you can do a far better job of correcting the lens distortion via post processing? It'll speed up your shooting in the field and will likely yield better results.

There are Adobe lens profiles out there for both the Sigma and the Tamron 17-50mm.
Yes I know, but its handy and convenient to shoot jpg at times.
01-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, so far, Ive had focussing problems with it and had to set -5 to sort it..... You cant really use the built in flash because of vigneting,
and now high CAs that make it rather incompatable for jpg use !!!!! Im not impressed to say the least.
It was a toss up for ages between this and the Pentax 17-70. Boy do I wish I had bought the pentax.

01-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buying a fine camera like the K5 and a fine lens like the Tamron 17-50 and then shooting a scene with the built-in flash? And in jpg? And then getting hung up over something like lens adjustments?

My head hurts.

That's like shooting yourself through both feet and then griping about a pebble in your shoe.
01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You don't have to shoot in RAW in order to apply lens corrections, even, I don't think.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes Raw of Raw+ , not JPEG, that was on page 219 like I said
01-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Buying a fine camera like the K5 and a fine lens like the Tamron 17-50 and then shooting a scene with the built-in flash? And in jpg? And then getting hung up over something like lens adjustments?

My head hurts.

That's like shooting yourself through both feet and then griping about a pebble in your shoe.
For you... maybe that is correct ! For me.... they are simply tools ! Tools that I somtimes need !
Take two asprin and have a lie down.
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
For you... maybe that is correct ! For me.... they are simply tools ! Tools that I somtimes need !
Take two asprin and have a lie down.
I believe I will, thanks.

Later on today I have to see about buying a gold ingot.....got a bag of walnuts for Christmas and need a tool to crack them with.
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You don't have to shoot in RAW in order to apply lens corrections, even, I don't think.
No, I dont get the option in either RAW or JPG it does seem that its a none compatabilty problem.
It seems my best option is to buy the pentax !
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #14

Hmm ... Unless I'm mistaken, I did focus adjustment on my K-5 with my Tamron 17-50 just fine (-10 for front focusing). The setting was not grayed out like bobmaxja had stated. Mind you that I just recently updated FW from 1.11 to 1.12 so let me check again tonight and let you know.

Peter
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For lens correction the camera use a profile specially make for the lens and the settings you're using.

Since Tamron and Sigma don't pay for the use of the K-mount, it would be silly off Pentax to put money and effort into making a profile for their lenses.

With this it's highly likely that you might miss out on lens correction for future lenses from Pentax if Pentax does not bring out an update for your camera.