Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 or K-5

Hi, I know there are a lot of threads like this, but I guess it won't hurt to make one again.
I'm just a working student and have the k-r so far, but I find that I've been pushing the k-r to its edge and I want to get a camera which has a lot more easier access to the features that I need. So I was thinking of getting a K-7 for a budget of 450 - 500. but do you guys think that it's much better to save up more $ for the K-5 instead? (which is double the price?)

First scenario. Keep K-r get K-7 save up some more and then sell k-r to get k-5.
Or Keep K-r get K-5.
Or Keep K-r get K-7 invest in more lens.
The second body will be used as a back-up (For my sister or girlfriend when we go out for mini photowalks)

Thanks.

01-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

What features do you need a lot more access to?
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
u will not be 100% happy go from k-r to k-7..u gain some and u also lose some
but u will be 100% happy go from k-r to k-5..
01-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

if you can get the money, go for the k-5. Its that good

01-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys

And keep the k-r as a second body? I figured the only thing lacking on the k-7 was it's low ISO capabilities which the K-r has. The K-r has a horrible AF and is always FFed when I use it with my manual lens(Therefore I always shoot with the live view, which I personally think sucks.) And I'm hoping that the K-7 will prevail on the AF problems that the k-r has when using <f2.

As for features that I would like to have:
Having direct access to AF/Meter modes I can switch just like that "snaps fingers".
I don't need to put down my camera when I need to change ISO/A/S to compensate for proper exposure, I can mess with it in a flip of a thumb.
Better manual focusing (Pentaprism vs K-r's view finder)
Also WR is a nice feature cause I won't want to just stay home when there's a lil rain outside, ofcourse I would still try to shelter the camera but the WR is a very nice feature.
I can mess with my PZ which is a + (I don't really need it but that would be fun)
01-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
u will not be 100% happy go from k-r to k-7..u gain some and u also lose some
Aside from the K-r's high ISO performance, what else would this tradeoff entail?

I've been toying with the idea of switching from K-r to K-7 as well, mainly for the WR and pentaprism. I don't shoot at high ISO very often, not nearly as much as I thought I might initially.
01-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
what else would this tradeoff entail
According to DxOMark, dynamic range (less for the k7).
01-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
According to DxOMark, dynamic range (less for the k7).
yes..almost 2 stop dr loss
and if I am right..k-r has faster live-view af speed and af-c speed (if k-r use same technology as k-5)

Last edited by liukaitc; 01-13-2012 at 11:53 PM.
01-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Took a look on snapsort, and compared K-r to K-5 as well. I'll just wait til I can afford a K-5. WR is pretty great, and so are the viewfinder and two e-dials, but I don't feel like sacrificing that much when it comes to the IQ, dynamic range, colour depth, etc of the K-7.
01-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I do not have KR but I have KX ( for well over 2 years now), I really love it - my first DSLR after long break from Praktica B200 and other film SLR's.
Last NOV I saw an used K7 for sale on this forum and located in AU, the price was right so I did purchase it on some kind of instinct impulse, that was definitely not a planned doing.
At first it did feel complicated but after a week or so , oh man what a beauty, it became my main photographic tool, K7 is in different class than KX.
Now I purchased Pentax Battery grip and even with large old lenses ( I have number of them) it feels very comfortable and well balance.
Plus AA Lithium, can use them now, they last forever!
Yes, I would love to have K5 but it is not going to happen.
KX with Sigma 17-70 2.8 Macro stays always in my backpack ( with spare 4x AA lithium ) and is frequently used for indoor/evening activities plus at hoc unplanned shots.
For everything else is the "big" enjoyable K7, so I would:

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Or Keep K-r get K-7 invest in more lens.
01-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't know your 'lens line-up' but would it not be more prudent (as a student) to consider glass upgrades instead of body?
01-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@i_trax Thanks, I feel you with the battery issue, my k-r dies so fast. and what lens would you suggest that I invest in?

@DaveHolmes Indeed, it is much logical for me to invest on a good "lens line-up" before upgrading to a better body. But like I said that in a matter of two months I've been pushed the K-r almost to its limits, needing more and more features and thus I feel that it's beneficial for me to have a camera with more features that I can grow into and learn on. Don't get me wrong the K-r is an awesome beginner camera and will satisfy anyone who's just starting or getting back into the (D)SLR world.

My current lens line up right now

DA 18-55 kit lens (I think I lost it, I haven't seen it since I got my 50)
DA 55-300 kit lens
FA 28 -105 PZ (Sharp but heavy)
DA 35 2.4 (Very light and wonderful)
M 50 1.7 (First taste of what sharp looks like)
Waiting for my F 35-70 to come-in the mail (I'm hoping I can utilize this as one of my main walk-around lens having features like a 1:2 macro and they say it's one of the smallest and lightest zoom that pentax made).

My most used lens would be the 50 followed by the 35. very happy with the two, But hopefully I can get my hands on an FA43 and a DA15(In time... I need to study hard to make more money ). The zoom I don't even touch that much, "Only if I have to"

Last edited by kaiserz; 01-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.
01-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
Forum Member

I have both the K-7 & K-5...

All I can definitevly say is that the K-5 is more forgiving in low light conditions, otherwise its a toss up for me. Some of my favorite shots are still from the K-7 (and I only had kit lenses at the time!) for <$500 its a good deal.
01-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Marketplace Reseller

I encountered the same dilemma with my k-x... had it for a year, loved it, but felt that I wanted a bit more. I actually got over a lot of the issues by going through a lot of the deeper features (like playing with the green button setting, etc) and expanding my collection of lenses; specifically, I found a few great older lenses, some M's and m42's. It was a great way of getting some great glass that gives me a lot of flexibility without having to break the bank. My walk-around is the m42 35 2.8, and I throw an M 35-70 2.8 in my bag and I'm set. You can get both for criminally cheap prices.

That said, I'm still putting a few bucks away every month, saving up for that k5. :-)
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
I have both the K-7 & K-5...

All I can definitevly say is that the K-5 is more forgiving in low light conditions, otherwise its a toss up for me. Some of my favorite shots are still from the K-7 (and I only had kit lenses at the time!) for <$500 its a good deal.
I never shoot higher than 800 iso with my K-7 in still mode and purchased the Panasonic GH2 in Dec 2010 to use mainly in video mode that works very well in low light at 3200 iso. If the K-5 was as good as the GH2 in video mode I would have purchased it.