Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pull the Duck?
The duck (and a $20 bill) was used in a large set of test shots I took for John and uploaded to him to play around with

See this link.

01-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The duck (and a $20 bill) was used in a large set of test shots I took for John and uploaded to him to play around with

See this link.
AH, good times... good times...
01-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

See this link.
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What about lenses?
How versatile is the mount with regards to older glass2?
Afaik, alpha mount adapters for k-mount require an optical adapter. M42 should work fine though. Lens flange distance is shorter than K mount, but alpha mount is not wide enough to accommodate a K lens - it's just good enough for M42 lenses.

01-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again, Sony/Minolta just doesn't feel right in my hand - things never seemed to be in the right place. I haven't done much up-resizing from the K20d - mostly I have stitched larger prints from several images; which worked pretty well when it worked. Part of the stitching problem is the associated learning curve. I did seriously crop a shot of 4 cranes with the DA* 300 and printed it on a 16x20 canvas. It looked O.K. on canvas, but I wouldn't have wanted to sell it as a print on paper.

Thanks for all your ideas. Looks like I'll sweat out the next K? or D800, or whatever. Frankly, I hope it's the K?.
01-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don,

As others have said, I'm not quite sure why you think you need more pixels than the K-5 has for 20x30 prints.

I make beautiful, crisp and sharp 20x30s -- sharp, by the way, at very close inspection -- on my Epson 7600 from an old, 12-meg 1Ds. And, with a little more postprocessing, I get equally good 20x30s from my K-5. I know the Internet experts say you absolutely have to use a certain level of resolution to get satisfactory large prints. I say, hooey. Just try it.

Bob
01-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Why do people think that the D800 will have a 36MP sensor. It looks like Canikon both have left the pixel race. The D4 has a 16MP sensor, the 1Dx has a 18MP sensor. Looks like that only Sony is trying to sell their cameras based on even more pixels.
01-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Looks like that only Sony is trying to sell their cameras based on even more pixels.
More pixels and features like in-body stablization, a feature that a lot of Pentax users have come to appreciate

01-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is al rumors still but what I read will D800 have 38mp and Canon's 5D Mark III will have 32 mp. So both companies are bringing two different camerasensors to the market. One for Hi-iso performance (sportscamera) and one for studiowork (maybe they will have iso25 as base setting). That would be onhe thing to do for Pentax as well, only having only one body.

I have a large canvas print, made from K-7 that is 44x66 inch and it looks stunning (for canvas). So there is much more to do with printing then just having more and more pixels.

When you have lenses to use for 645D, and there is also a tele within, then I still would recommend to save up for 645D. I think that D800 with long telelens is more expensive.
01-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Forum Member

I am not a photography expert by any means, but I have a strong background in printing, including poster-sized output. You should not need a 36 mp camera to print out a great 20" x 30" (or slightly larger) print. You should be printing at higher than 240 dpi, for one thing, IMHO. I don't know what Epson printer you're using (and it wouldn't help if I did, since I'm not familiar with their whole line), but maybe part of your dissatisfaction has to do with your printer output and not your camera's image. The best in-camera image won't get you what you want if your output device, density, media, etc., isn't "up" to the capabilities of the camera.

Just a thought, fwiw.... And I'm sure that those who have mentioned that really good glass might make a difference are right! Personally, I would think that a k-5 with suitable lenses "should" give you print output that "should" be great!

Last edited by amc654; 01-15-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for yet more input. I think I'm getting clearer about how important it is to me to be able to print large. I needed to be clearer in my post - while I did say "I want to be able to print consistently to at least 20x30 inches", I really meant that as a minimum standard. The last two large prints I made and sold were approximately 32x45". I guess that size and even larger is the goal, a camera that with the right technique, glass, etc. will consistently allow me images at that size.

For most images my Epson 7900 will print quite well at 240 dpi. A professional colleague who makes a living at it (I do not), confirms that 240dpi works fine for almost all of his images. And, except when image size is a concern because of a smaller print file, I print at 360dpi. I use that for all of my files from the 4x5 and for most of the medium format film files. I'm trying to discover, based on the experience of others, how close I can get to that without having to buy a medium format digital system which at the moment I cannot afford. So, where are the least important compromises that will get me there? Will a K-5 or a 24mp Pentatx FF or APS-C get me close enough? Would a 36mp Nikon FF D800 get me closer still? Is a higher quality sensor 16-18 mp FF camera sufficient or even superior?

There must be a reason that people who make a living at printing landscapes large, and who can afford it, have moved from large format film to medium format digital - Charles Cramer, Mark Dubovoy, Bill Atkinson and a host of others come to mind. I also know that Jack Dykinga shoots a Nikon D3 and stitches captures together when he expects to make a larger print - and Jack's work hasn't suffered for it.

Pentax offers a viable alternative to the other brands at the APS-C size, and appears to compete head-on with the 645D (even excels given the huge price discrepancy). Why couldn't a Pentax FF or 24mp APS-C camera (and a couple of tilt and shift lenses) provide the same opportunities that Dykinga creates with his D3? Again, I'm just trying to fully understand what is reasonably possible, and what isn't.

Are there some of you who consistently make large prints from stitched images using your K-5? If so, I'd love to hear of your experience.

Thanks again.
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #27

Don,

Are you quite sure, based on experience, that you need to print at 240 dpi? I have printed a number of large images at both 180 and 360 and find little to tell one from the other. Some day I should sit down and do a test run of prints at increasingly lower theoretical resolution and see where it really falls apart, and why.

While I'm very pleased with 20x30 prints from my K-5, I don't think I would be happy going much larger. Since I have an old Pentax 645 and a nice set of lenses, I keep hoping the price of the 645D will drop out of the stratosphere. Dream on, huh.

If you haven't seen it, you might check out the Luminous Landscape shootout between the 645D, the Phase One P40+, both 40meg sensors, and, for fun, the Canon 1Ds3 (21meg) and a Leica M9 (18meg).The two MF rigs ran neck and neck. What was most interesting to me was that, though the 1Ds3 was left in the dust (no clear theory on why) the M9 was not. So maybe I should be lusting after a Leica instead, huh?

Problem is, with just one lens it's still almost as much as the 645D.

Time to buy myself a lottery ticket now.

Bob
01-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Boyd Quote
while I did say "I want to be able to print consistently to at least 20x30 inches", I really meant that as a minimum standard. The last two large prints I made and sold were approximately 32x45".
QuoteOriginally posted by Don Boyd Quote
And, except when image size is a concern because of a smaller print file, I print at 360dpi.
Ah, I see.... The clarifications make your situation clearer--I think that 360 dpi would be fine, but have no idea "what" digital camera would be best for making prints at around that 32 x 45" size. Hopefully the photo experts will be able to help with your dilemma!
01-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your desires do seem to point to the 645D, even though it is expensive. Of course, the Leica S2 might fit the technical needs even better, so look at it, and the 645D won't seem so expensive!
01-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
What was most interesting to me was that, though the 1Ds3 was left in the dust (no clear theory on why) the M9 was not.
I remember that article. The Canon was used with a 24-105 zoom and the Leica with the Summilux 50/1.4. Canon makes some excellent zooms but is that 24-105 one of their better ones? From photozone scores, it doesn't look like it can reach the IQ of a prime normal lens even when stopped down.