Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New K10D owner questions

I hope you guys and gals won't find these questions too bothersome. I just got my K10D with Tamron 18-250 lens and, wow, there's a lot to learn relative to controls and settings.

1. What creative uses have you found for the USER mode? I was thinking about saving settings for either low light shooting or sports shooting. Can you have "normal" as your program line in "P" and "Hi Speed" as your program line in "USER"?
2. When the camera is set to auto ISO, is there any way to tell what ISO the camera has chosen? I'd like to know what the camera is thinking so I can change shutter or aperature if necessary.
3. AE Lock with Focus Lock , pros/cons and situations where used
4. AE Point matched to Focus Point, pros/cons and situations used.

I'll probably be shooting my first pics tomorrow. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

12-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use USER mode for indoor, low-light, flash-less shots.

The program lines do not stay stick with USER mode. :-(

Press the OK button to see the choosen ISO (both in top LCD and viewfinder).
12-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set user mode for specific shooting combinations. the thing I like with user mode is that you can set ISO and WB separate from the rest of the camera. In fact, I have asked Pentax to consider making each operating mode have independant ISO and WB settings because each mode has specific uses.

I don't lock focus and metering to the same point. Generally I don't need to because I use spot metering and center focus. I find it the simplest way to shoot in and out of shadows.

With respect to auto ISO, the camera will always keep the ISO high enough to get natural exposure (without flash). I.e. it will attempt to be in the middle range of f stops and above 1/f in shutter speed before ISO begins to drop. this causes a problem in flash photography because it will have the ISO to maximum and then add flash. you should always turn auto ISO off for flash. (perhaps in the user mode) or use manual mode for flash because as the name implies everything is manual, including ISO
12-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #4

Auto ISO... You can say what is chosen if you already made a picture. Press the info button several times till you get detailed info on screen. Peronally I find 100-400 ISO good enough to be not aware of what is chosen, so IF I use auto ISO, I let the camera decide in the 100-400 range and forget about it.

AE lock is used by me mainly in landscapes with high difference in lighting in different parts... I lock AE in the light, and shoot so the sky won't blank out.

AF Lock is what I use alot while shooting poeple. Focus on an eye, half-press button, move the camera to make wanted composition, shoot. Same while shooting macro.

Note that K10 can lock AE automatically when you lock AF (setting somewhere in the menu). Have not used it, but i guess that must be useful for macro shots.

Link of AE and AF points... Can't think of a situation to turn this on... I know that if this setting IS turned on, all my pics taken with flash become overexposed somehow... So, right now i don't use it.

12-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A few more tips:

* New cameras come with firmware 1.0.
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to 1.3 to enjoy the extra user settings, and other added features! I have changed many of the front / back wheel functions in the different modes and use the AF button to reset to the center focus point, among others.

* Shoot RAW and get good postprocessing software, i.e. Adobe Lightroom and you can get even better results.
The K10D has much better dynamic range in RAW compared to JPG.
Using the Pentax SilkyPix software won't help. It uses the same JPG processing rules as the in camera software.

* The AUTO autofocus point selection (Green mode), I found useless. Avoid it. It too often focuses on the wrong subject.

- Bert
01-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you press the "OK" button, the ISO will read on the top LCD panel.
01-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
A few more tips:

* New cameras come with firmware 1.0.
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to 1.3 to enjoy the extra user settings, and other added features! I have changed many of the front / back wheel functions in the different modes and use the AF button to reset to the center focus point, among others.

* Shoot RAW and get good postprocessing software, i.e. Adobe Lightroom and you can get even better results.
The K10D has much better dynamic range in RAW compared to JPG.
Using the Pentax SilkyPix software won't help. It uses the same JPG processing rules as the in camera software.

* The AUTO autofocus point selection (Green mode), I found useless. Avoid it. It too often focuses on the wrong subject.

- Bert
Excellent points for a new user. Upgrading firmware is a big plus.