Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I often wondered what my K1000 would be like if only it had a CCD in place of Film. I wonder if an upgrade could be done to older cameras.

- Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
I've been inspired by another thread to open up discussion about the design of a basic no-frills DSLR based on the functions of the PENTAX MZ-M 35mm model.

As filmamigo says in that thread: No current DSLR offers a photography student or artist the minimalist photographic controls the way the MZ-M does.

He has suggested that Pentax "could make a digital MZ-M by sacrificing the big LCD on the back, and go with just the new as-yet-unseen "in the viewfinder" review capability"

I have my own ideas about it:

"if we're imagining peeling back the features of the K10D to make a basic manual camera, I think I'd like to see the LCD screen stay, but eliminate the various auto settings, bringing it back to a simple choice between aperture/shutter-priority and full manual (no full-auto). Or even take away the aperture/shutter priority, and just keep it fully manual with the auto-bracketing function that the MZ-M already has (Nothing wrong with taking a few quick shots to get that perfect exposure, and then deleting the ones you don't need).

Personally, I could also do without auto-focus (I hardly ever use it on the K10D when doing creative shots) and the inbuilt flash.

Although I think a minimum of 10.2 megapixels should stay."

What do we think? Is this a viable concept? I personally think so, and would purchase the model in a flash to add to my gadget-bag. Nothing like having a cheap and functional back-up camera at hand.

What would you want to see in a basic manual DSLR? [Remember, we're talking about a camera for people who want total control of the image, not a camera that does the thinking for you.]

01-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, the key marketing decision for them is profit margin - something Hoya would put great emphasis on. And that's the main reason why they would move away from P&S.

Such a camera could only be a niche product. And for a low volume seller, it is simply not possible to achieve any profit (let alone decent profit margin) for $300 to $400 price. As DSLR price continues to drop, they may even move away from entry level cameras. Hoya-Pentax has stated that they don't want to be volume seller, they want more specialized higher profit margin product.
01-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi nosnoop,

Thanks for the contribution. Appreciate what you're suggesting.

But just one thing:

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Unfortunately, the key marketing decision for them is profit margin - something Hoya would put great emphasis on. And that's the main reason why they would move away from P&S.
... A manual SLR isn't a P&S. The K10D and K100D have point-and-shoot options. The manual SLRs - by definition - don't.
01-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

Such a camera could only be a niche product. And for a low volume seller, it is simply not possible to achieve any profit (let alone decent profit margin) for $300 to $400 price.
For a true digital K1000 they easily could get 10 times that price. I also do not think this niche is small, it is most ceartainly a lot bigger than the niche Leica M8 lives in. I guess the niche for a camera like a quality K1000D actually is bigger than the current Pentax 5%-share of the DSLR market. The first maker of a "M8 but SLR" would get all of this niche all by them self, 100% of it.

I think this is just another case of big corporates beeing out of touch, just like music and film has been with online distribution for the last 10 years. In entertainment it was not one of usual old dinosaurs that showed the way of online distribution, it was Apple, a software company. I think something just like that will happen with high end cameras too. If current actors of a market is ignorant of market sector, somebody else will eat their lunch, plain and simple. This time that company probably comes from Russia or China since theese are the the countries on the go today. Especially china since they are the economical superpower in the world today, even putting the world bank and IMF out in the cold regarding the third world.