Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Have Kr wife said OK to K5!!

So some back ground for you all. I picked up the Kr about 1year ago at first i wasn't 100% happy with the Kr, OK still not 100% but have found how to work with it and get some very nice shots. There are a few things i would like that the K5 offers (like Grip,and controls,1080 video) Weather Sealing would be a nice bonus but I don't really find myself out shooting when it would be a must have.

Do you think the upgrade would be worth it?
Is the ISO performance better on the K5 over the Kr? (I find it to be very good on the Kr)
How is the AWB on the K5? (that's one thing I don't like on my Kr find my self changing it to tungsten)

So I think I could only get about 400ish for my Kr kit and I could spend 700ish with that so I think I could pick up a used K5 with Grip for about that or should I just get new lens

01-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5's image quality and sensitivity is better than that of the K-r. Although we don't have a direct comparison in our in-depth reviews, you can see some sample photos here:
Pentax K-5 Review - Image Tests - PentaxForums.com

For $1100 you can easily get a used K-5 with a grip. You might even be able to find a new one (they are $999 ish in Canada).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AWB is not really designed for tungsten - hence the tungsten setting :-) I shoot RAW so it is not much of a concern. The shutter may be quieter, and the FPS is higher with the K-5. I did not get an overpriced grip because it will not hold the remote. I just take a spare battery separately, though I've never drained it in a day yet.
01-15-2012, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

My son has a K-r and although I have not spent to much time with it the bigger advantages I see are:
quieter shutter
direct controls on the body vs via menu
TAV setting
more solid construction
faster FPS
locking mode dial
top lcd display
two control wheels

I did not see a big difference in the AWB performance.

01-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I did not get an overpriced grip because it will not hold the remote.
I thought the grip did hold the pentax F remote? But I shoot my 2yr old all day and find myself taking alot of portrait shots and thought I would get some good used out of the grip that way
quieter shutter would be nice also man I have had more then a few ppl say something about how loud the Kr is.
01-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I recently upgraded from a kx to a k5 and the difference is night and day. Autofocus is faster and more accurate (by a large margin) and the camera is so much more intuitive to me with the extra buttons and dials meaning less menu diving. Tav mode is great, the high-iso performance is much, much better than the kx (and that's saying something) and the whole package just feels and performs so nicely it's unreal. When I got it even my friends who shoot with other systems were trying to steal it from me, they loved how solid yet lightweight it is with its magnesium body and how it is so obviously what it is - a finely machined precision tool. I was playing with my kx last night, and much as I love it as the camera that started me in photography it just felt clumsy and a little crude in comparison. The third-party grips aren't bad either; I got this one for less than a 1/4 of the price of an original and it came with 2 spare batteries. BATTERY GRIP D-BG4 FOR PENTAX K7 K5 K-5 + FREE BATTERY | eBay. Good vendor, I can recommend them.
01-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Classico Quote
I thought the grip did hold the pentax F remote?
The Pentax Battery Grip for the K20 held a battery, remote & spare SD card.

Although I don't have one, I understand the K-5 grip holds an extra battery or you can switch to an adapter that will power the camera with 6 AA cells instead.

However, they dropped the useful capacity to hold the remote & a spare card.
01-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

the original Pentax D-BG4 ( I use it with K7) can house a SD card but only while using grip with 1x D-LI90, while using with 6xAA there is no any spare room for anything extra.
there is no room to store remote in both scenarios
kind regards
jack