Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D or K5

Dear Members,

I am seeking some suggestions about buying a second camera. I am a dedicated amateur. I currently use a K20D and love it. I have won prizes from my photos with this camera and I even sold a print. I had been thinking about buying a new or used K5 and keeping the K20D for backup. However, today I was reading the K20D manual--yes I'm that much of a nerd--for the third time and discovered a dial and settings that I was not using correctly. I began thinking that perhaps I should buy a used K20D as a backup camera. It not only would save me money for the camera body, but I also could use the three extra batteries and the hand grip that I have already bought for my K20D. If I bought a K5, I'd have to buy new batteries as spare and a new hand grip thereby raising the overall cost. Furthermore, I would not have to read and reread another manual. What I know about my K20D, I would know for a second one. If I bought a K5, I would have another manual to read and remember.

My question is, which camera body would you buy if you were in my position? Is the K-5 really that much better for photographs? Are the K5 settings very different from the K20D? Is a K5 worth the price difference?

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions and comments.

Ed

01-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the K20D suits your needs, then I see no reason to upgrade personally.
However, if the K20D leaves you wanting more in some area or another then I'd highly recommend upgrading

Hope this helps.
01-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning,

I too am still using the K20, and I really do like it. It has been a very dependable and reliable camera. Overall it does suit my needs, however there are a lot of instances in which I could certainly use the K5's additional capabilities (low light, ISO 80, Dynamic Range, better AF, disabling DFS). Early on the $1,700 price was a barrier. Now that I have the funds sitting in my desk drawer (and the price has fallen), I find I still have not pulled the trigger. I would like to see the direction that Pentax is going to go, and what new capabilities (or possibly upgrades - they will have in the new whatever). I see the price has broken the $1K mark again in some retail outlets. So in some respects, I have kicked the can down the road to speak. I am patiently waiting for Pentax's next move, before I make any decision. That said, I would like to have the opportunity to make a somewhat informed decision while I can still get a new K5 - only because I have found the supplemental Pentax extended warranty very worthwhile (one came with the K20 that proved to be very useful).

I do think that depending on the type of photography you do, the price difference is reasonable. I do a lot of ambient low light in the evening, so that would hit all the K5's sweet spots for me. However, it changes for each photographer....

01-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I've loved my K20, after owning the K5 for the past 9 months I'm totally converted and while the K20 is now the back up it gets less and less use. It's a big step up to the K5 and yes, it's that much better. Just get one.

01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You bring up a lot of good points about compatibility. And if you are happy with the results you get from the K20 then stick with the K20.

But there is a huge difference in the K-5 as far as the image capabilities are concerned. Personally I would get the K-5 and move on but that is just me.

One other thing to think about is that the K-5 has been around for awhile. Rumors aside there will likely be a replacement for it at some point. You might want to wait a bit to see what the new camera brings to the table.
01-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am also a happy K20d owner and there are some extremely good deals right now on used K20d's .... but, if you shoot a lot of low light or action shots, the K5 is going to increase your capabilities by a lot.
It really does come down to what it is that you like to shoot and whether you could really gain from the K5's extended capabilities. The $700 price difference is well justified if you currently are hamstrung from one of the K20d's limitations.
01-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I`d say; sell the K20d-body (keep extras), buy a K10d for backup-camera on low-ISO shots and buy a K5 as primary camera for the times you need ISO above 400 and don`t want noise reducing in PP.
The K10d`s low-ISO capabilities and colours from the CCD-sensor is better than the CMOS in K20d/K7 on low ISO, but only really shine on ISO100-200.

That`s what I`d do if I`d find a reason to buy new and used gear again some time soon