Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cleaning my K10D, Dead Pixels on LCD

So, I've been noticing little specs of dust inside my K10D. I already checked the mirror and the sensor, and it's not on either of those. I have a pretty good feeling it's behind the focus screen. What can I use to clean the focus screen and the screen behind it leading to the viewfinder? I don't want to use any sort of fabric that leaves off hairs and strands cause then if I clean the dust, there will be more to clean and it'll never end.

EDIT: Lcd dead pixels issue, last post.

Last edited by tux08902; 12-29-2007 at 05:01 PM.
12-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be VERY careful with the focus screen, they are a type of plastic and scratch extremely easily.. better not to wipe it with anything. Use a blower bulb that you have checked doesn't have any gunk in it (use it on your skin first). You can blow up onto the bottom of the the screen, if that doesn't work their is a little catch at the top front inside the camera that lets you get to the focus screen. Open that carefully and use the blower again on the other side of the screen.
12-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's not on the focus screen. I checked it already. It's actually on the surface behind the focus screen. I don't know how it could have gotten there, but that's where it is. There's actually some lint in there too. I have no clue how it got there.
12-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So do you mean closer to the actual eyepiece (in between that eyepiece and the focus screen itself)?

12-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, that's what I mean. I have no clue how the dust got there, but it's annoying me way too much.
12-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

join the many

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
Yes, that's what I mean. I have no clue how the dust got there, but it's annoying me way too much.
Actually I think this is quite common on the k10d. I also have fibers right where you describe and they are harder to get rid of than sticky dust on the sensor. I haven't fooled around with mine, after hearing of some folks ruining the focusing screen trying to clean behind it. I haven't found that the blower moves anything in this particular area. It is the pits and it was annoying as heck for me too. I've since come to ignore it. At least it doesn't affect my photos. I've cleaned my sensor a couple times with good results, but this area in the viewfinder is the pits!
12-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Actually I think this is quite common on the k10d. I also have fibers right where you describe and they are harder to get rid of than sticky dust on the sensor. I haven't fooled around with mine, after hearing of some folks ruining the focusing screen trying to clean behind it. I haven't found that the blower moves anything in this particular area. It is the pits and it was annoying as heck for me too. I've since come to ignore it. At least it doesn't affect my photos. I've cleaned my sensor a couple times with good results, but this area in the viewfinder is the pits!
I have only one small bit of gunk on mine, and I have no intention to even attempt to remove it. All my other SLRs have bits of gunk up where no one can get at it. They are very annoying, but don't affect the picture.
12-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
So, I've been noticing little specs of dust inside my K10D. I already checked the mirror and the sensor, and it's not on either of those. I have a pretty good feeling it's behind the focus screen. What can I use to clean the focus screen and the screen behind it leading to the viewfinder? I don't want to use any sort of fabric that leaves off hairs and strands cause then if I clean the dust, there will be more to clean and it'll never end.
It sounds like the contaminants are on the condensing lens above the focus screen. The easiest way to clean it is to remove the focus screen and blow it, you may even have to loosen the dust it with a brush (it's pretty robust, the screen is the sensitive bit). You'll probably have to go through a sensor clean routine after too.

12-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll giv eit a shot, but hearing your stories, I guess I'll have to live with it. I noticed something else today. My K10D has two dead pixels on the LCD. Those pixels are always black. That's what prompted me to clean the camera. Then, when I noticed they didn't go away, I tried zooming in and they didn't get any larger. So, has anybody experienced this. Will Pentax replace the body? I know it's not that big of a deal and that all electronics have a certain degree of defects even when they pass. So...I don't know what to do. Other than these two things, I love my camera!
12-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So, I did some cleaning, and I got rid of the big stuff, but there are small dust particles by the corners. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

What can I do about the dead pixels on the LCD? It's not that big of a deal, but does Pentax even replace the body for that.
12-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They don't replace the body, you can get them to 'map' out the dead pixels. I had it done for my old DS, it had enough that they didn't charge me (I am not sure the exact amount to get it done for free)..
12-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought your dead pixels that they mapped were on the sensor. His are on the back LCD.
12-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My dead pixels are on my LCD. There are just two of them.