Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with project, lacking direction

Just putting this out there, I need help in getting involved with a project, some direction, a kick in the backside. Since switching to Pentax last fall, having to mess with correcting back/front focusing, changing screens, I've lost that loving feeling. I love street photography, but winter kind of sucks for it as the days are short, and my working day is longer. I used to love urban landscape when I shot Nikon, and can't get that urge to get out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a bunch of shots on Flickr if you care to browse and whatever.

Thanks

Franky2step

01-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Just putting this out there, I need help in getting involved with a project, some direction, a kick in the backside. Since switching to Pentax last fall, having to mess with correcting back/front focusing, changing screens, I've lost that loving feeling. I love street photography, but winter kind of sucks for it as the days are short, and my working day is longer. I used to love urban landscape when I shot Nikon, and can't get that urge to get out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a bunch of shots on Flickr if you care to browse and whatever.

Thanks

Franky2step
Every big artist time by time has that feeling.
That`s right time for them to overdose drugs, alcohol or just to jump down from skyscraper. Hope it helps.

V.

P.S. Otherwise... Just take your camera and go out. Windy, snowy time is best for lonely benches, depressive people walking at snowstorm and like.
01-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why not join in the Single in January event? That'll keep you busy and it'll let you try something new each day!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks

Franky2step
Saw a street-based project that appealed to me - anything that features a number. Street signs, buses, buildings, groups of people, branding, clothing.....

You could make it more stretching by going for consecutive numbers, etc, but don't cheat by just walking up a street shooting door numbers :ugh:

Last edited by JohnX; 01-18-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling
01-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas, perhaps I"ll take my lunch hour and try out these ideas. Thanks again

Franky2step
01-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks

Franky2step
I think this happens to everyone.
And it's usually associated with being busy with other stuff. Then again... if we never get depressed, then what hole would have have to crawl out of?

Anyways, when I find myself in a slump, I like to go google images by theme(with google) and look at the search results.

Then I save all the images and ideas that I like in a folder called(_IDEAS). Then... I go through the piles and pick the ones that I think I could reproduce.

Another big pick me upper is to pull-up old photo's(from RAW) from what back when. And if you're anything like me, you collect all your images, then you can post processing them using some of the latest and greatest software that out there today.

Anyways, I think the reality of it is that everyone has their ups and downs in this business. However, as you can see, there's no need to stay down either. Besides... we can't be shooting all the time either. That's just unrealistic. And so don't get all caught-up with concern thinking you have a quota to fill. Go with it I say. Take the time away from your viewfinder to explore other things. Diversify, explore and enjoy. - life is grand!

JohnB
01-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Why not join a contest or challenge to get your creative juices flowing?
Maybe one here in the weekly or monthly challenges section, or this one on Flickr for example Flickr: Discussing New Contest - The Theme in 85mm Street Contest "Self-Portrait"
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try macro...

Thanks

Franky2step
Stay inside over the winter. Try macro. At least it is different than street shots.

01-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This thread got me thinking, so, I bought a book from the Museum of London (where I live) that has a collection of street photos taken in London between 1860 and 2010.

Many of the locations are identified, or are identifiable.

So, my project is to visit as many of those locations as I can find and take a shot from the same angle and see how 2012 compares against the book.
01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone, some great ideas put forward!