Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is not The Situation. Michael Sorrentino's Bicep is The Situation.

01-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Attack the person when one can't take criticisms?
I'm a bit confused by this statement. Huh?
01-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I.e a troll
This never gets old, does it?
01-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
This never gets old, does it?
Ouch! My spleen!

It seems as though there's going to be a lot of negativity and sucker punching going on in this thread, none of which will be to the benefit of the OP.

If this doesn't end in a fully blown tirade, I'll be really disappointed.

I'm really torn on whether to unsubscribe, or to watch the train wreck unfold...

01-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Why so serious?
01-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I decided to respond to the OP, and not any other troll in the thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I own a K20d kit, a DA* 16-50, DA Limiteds 40 & 70 and a m42 Tokina 300mm RMC f5.6. I don't think Pentax is doomed but I am unsure if its my cup of tea anymore.
That's a respectable kit. I would be loath to go buy the same gear on Nikon, or on the even higher priced Canon.

Pentax isn’t cheap anymore. Sure a K5 is a steal now, but other than that, the prices are to high to be considered a "value brand".
I'm not convinced. From my limited research Canon glass is the most expensive, Nikon glass, second most, Pentax glass is only sometimes more expensive than the competition. Sure, the K-5 with kit is priced higher than a Eos Rebel with glass you can hardly call a lens. I think the value in this brand is that you get more capability for less cash, that doesn't mean the lowest price in the industry.

Pentax isn’t small anymore.
After looking at the Nikon monstrosities, I really feel the K-5, even with the DA* 16-50 attached is a lot smaller. Also the DA 15 Ltd is tiny, mirrorless or no.

The flash system. It is in dire need of an update. But I did not use it extensively enough to comment further.
You'll get no argument from me here, but I mostly ignore the flash system in lieu of faster glass.

Video. No manual controls and overheating while recording. This is a major K5 weakness in my eyes
I have high hopes this problem goes away in the next model. I really would like to take video with the K-5.

but the problems with the K5 in low light are a bit off-putting.
As in low light AF? I think the low light capabilities are mind blowing, but trying to get AF in the dark isn't fantastic to be sure. I usually go with the live view and manually focus when I'm shooting at extremely high iso due to very low light.

SDM. Unfortunately, I too have been struck with SDM issues.
Yeah, I wish they did more on this, like offer an extra two years on SDM failures. My 16-50 has been to the shop twice, but it's been working great since. My 50-135 has also never had an issue.

Lack of modern fast lenses.
I think the DA* 55/1.4 is a decent fill in, in this area. Although having a DA* 85/1.4 would be a nice addition. The FA Ltds usually fill this block I think. Having them weather sealed would sure be nice though.

Lack of tethering .
I watch the thread on the unofficial one, but I really don't care much about this particular feature.
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #37
Banned

...and I am waiting in anticipation to see what the Pentax answer will be. Lets hope its a good one.
What do you think?
I think that waiting is the smart thing to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The OP is forgetting about lots of pros:

- Backwards compatibility.
That is not important if you don't have lenses to need it for. Better to have a large modern lens lineup than to dig for old equipment to fill in holes in the modern one.

- Inbody SR. Generally accepted to be better then in the lens.
SR is not a Pentax exclusive. IBIS is also available on Pen and SLT cameras. And it sounds like it will be on NX in the future too.

- SR with manual glass.
Same as above.

- More bang for the buck. No, Pentax isn't cheap, and that's a good thing. Having a 'cheap' image isn't very good marketing. But buying Shake reduction again and again in every lens you need is more expensive. In that way, Pentax beats the competition.
Same as above.

- The OVF isn't a con, but a pro.
Not a point - the OP never argued against the OVF.

If these would be all the pros, you did a better job than the OP at raising doubt about the wisdom of investing in Pentax equipment.

01-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The colours . I love the colours I get from my Pentax DSLR. Especially the greens. I was in love since my first outing with my K20d and still am. Off course, the lenses play a big part of it.
That's the biggest thing for me too, especially the greens in landscapes. The only other camera I like SOOC for greens is the Olympus. You and I must see green the same way.
01-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Originally posted by dankoBanana Quote Pentax isn’t small anymore. After looking at the Nikon monstrosities, I really feel the K-5, even with the DA* 16-50 attached is a lot smaller. Also the DA 15 Ltd is tiny, mirrorless or no.
+1 for this. Pentax cams are still small... K-x/K-r vs. 1100D, almost the same
and of course there's the Q... which might fit snugly inside a D3s or 1D4 lol
and lenses are still small. Put the DA 55-300 vs the Canon 70-300 and the pentax is still smaller... or well, shorter

Last edited by Alizarine; 01-19-2012 at 10:43 PM.
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I wasn't shooting Pentax I probably wouldn't be shooting a DSLR. The backward lens compatibility thing totally makes it worth it for me, as does the availability of a really good sub $500 DSLR. I couldn't afford a $1000 plus kit. To date even with AF I've never owned a completely new lens. I don't really expect to. I can have a good kit, a great kit even with Pentax and not have to spend and spend and spend. That's a good part of why I shoot Pentax, that and ergonomics. Nothing against any of the other brands, but Pentax makes it easier for me to be able to afford to do what I love. It's not that inexpensive sometimes, but it's still better than the options I'd have otherwise. I've priced a similar Nikon kit to what I have now. Even buying used I'd have spend 5X as much easily trying to go there...
01-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Also the DA 15 Ltd is tiny, mirrorless or no.
It is also slow and not particularly sharp. Looks great compared to other DSLR lenses, I'll give it that - it is perfect for showing off in front of Canikon users.

It is going to be interesting to see what performance the Fuji 14/1.4 will put out and at what size.
01-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It is also slow and not particularly sharp. Looks great compared to other DSLR lenses, I'll give it that - it is perfect for showing off in front of Canikon users.
Actually, the DA15's sharpness is excellent - except at the extreme borders - and the speed is pretty much in line with... well, I can't say similar lenses, because there aren't any, are there?

The speed is fine for it's size & range.
01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh has owned Pentax for a matter of a few months. I really don't see why we can't just all be patient and give them some time to regroup, take stock, and figure out what they're going to do. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. All this endless speculating is just useless I think. I really hope they are not reading all we post here. They'll think we're all utterly impossible to please, lol.
01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Actually, the DA15's sharpness is excellent - except at the extreme borders - and the speed is pretty much in line with... well, I can't say similar lenses, because there aren't any, are there?

The speed is fine for it's size & range.
Agreed. I've shot in dim churches with no problems. You don't need very high shutter speeds at this focal length. I would add; low distortion, low vignetting, vanishingly low CA, amazing flare performance, colour and contrast are unbeatable. Great lens! The main thing for me is the size, it's so easy to carry along.
01-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Ricoh has owned Pentax for a matter of a few months. I really don't see why we can't just all be patient and give them some time to regroup, take stock, and figure out what they're going to do.
Why not? Why can't patience prevail? Because there's a crowd here how don't work well with delayed gratification. They want it now, Now, NOW!! Let's see, if baking a cake takes 1hr at 350f, it should take just 1/2hr at 700f, right? Faster, faster!!