Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Why not? Why can't patience prevail? Because there's a crowd here how don't work well with delayed gratification. They want it now, Now, NOW!! Let's see, if baking a cake takes 1hr at 350f, it should take just 1/2hr at 700f, right? Faster, faster!!
I baked oatmeal cookies last night. 12 minutes. Yum.

01-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I baked oatmeal cookies last night. 12 minutes. Yum.
At least we're not baking humble pie.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Humble Pie refers to kitchen scraps, the 'umbles leftover in the manor kitchen after the real food for the important people has been produced. IOW it's full of chicken feet and pig hearts and greasy grimy gopher guts and any other trash the kitchen staff can stomach. Sort of like McFood.
01-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never knew that. Thanks for the lesson!

01-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at B&H recently in NY and will be again there again - what an absolute buzz - filled with people from all over looking and buying.

Every camera ( from every manufacturer ) stand busy - oops sorry nobody was looking at Pentax - conspicuously empty.

Sorry guys - as business man of over 20 years - that ain't good for Pentax business whichever way you cut it

01-26-2012, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Every camera ( from every manufacturer ) stand busy - oops sorry nobody was looking at Pentax - conspicuously empty.

Sorry guys - as business man of over 20 years - that ain't good for Pentax business whichever way you cut it
You aren't seeing the big picture; look to the future, not the present. Three months ago the camera division was sold to a buyer with deep pockets, whose stated intent is to grow the brand. New bodies are promised, new lenses, new directions.

Don't count Ricoh Pentax Imaging out before they've even started. Unlike you, I see a glass that's half full and the jug is poised to top it up.
01-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Don't count Ricoh Pentax Imaging out before they've even started. Unlike you, I see a glass that's half full and the jug is poised to top it up.
+1. Ricoh is not Hoya. It's in Ricoh's interest to push Pentax into primacy.
01-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #52
Pentaxian

To everyone that says Pentax DSLRs are not the best value around (here).

Digitalni fotoaparat Pentax K-5, ohi?je - mimovrste=)

Digitalni fotoaparat Nikon D7000, ohi?je - mimovrste=)

Digitalni fotoaparat Canon EOS 7D, ohi?je - mimovrste=)

You don't need to speak Slovene to notice the price difference. Count in the fact that the K-5 w/ 18-55 costs 20 less.
01-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Why not? Why can't patience prevail? Because there's a crowd here how don't work well with delayed gratification. They want it now, Now, NOW!! Let's see, if baking a cake takes 1hr at 350f, it should take just 1/2hr at 700f, right? Faster, faster!!
There is a basic rule of thumb in chemistry - a reaction doubles speed for every 10C hotter. But as a cook the time depends on thermal conductivity of the mix, to cook the middle. Otherwise seared, caramlised or burned outsides while the red juice flows fromt he middle of the roast.
More seriously, engineering work takes time. I cannot imagine developing a new camera body, not a trivial adjustment to change a few components, could be done in less than a year.
It is reasonable to think that Ricoh want to make the Pentax brand fly, but their pipeline is unlikely to deliver anything until September - so in time for the US holiday season ...

01-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
To everyone that says Pentax DSLRs are not the best value around (here).

Digitalni fotoaparat Pentax K-5, ohi?je - mimovrste=)

Digitalni fotoaparat Nikon D7000, ohi?je - mimovrste=)

Digitalni fotoaparat Canon EOS 7D, ohi?je - mimovrste=)

You don't need to speak Slovene to notice the price difference. Count in the fact that the K-5 w/ 18-55 costs 20 less.
Yes, but compare the entry level cameras and you'll see where the threat is coming from:

Digitalni fotoaparat Pentax K-r + 18-55 - mimovrste=)

Digitalni fotoaparat Olympus E-PM1 + EZ-M14-42 II R - mimovrste=)

BTW, because Pentax is the only other DSLR maker next to Canon and Nikon, now it is #3 in sales of DSLRs in Japan! 7.5% of the Japanese DSLR market - unfortunately, they don't have figures to compare DSLR and mirrorless market volumes - that would be interesting to see.
01-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
More seriously, engineering work takes time. I cannot imagine developing a new camera body, not a trivial adjustment to change a few components, could be done in less than a year.
It is reasonable to think that Ricoh want to make the Pentax brand fly, but their pipeline is unlikely to deliver anything until September - so in time for the US holiday season ...
It is reasonable to think that Pentax started working on the K-r replacement from Sept 2010 when the K-r was announced. It is reasonable to think they continued to work on the replacement through the announcement of the Ricoh buyout in July, and up to and beyond the buyout in October, because working on a replacement is just business as usual. The K-r replacement is half a year late now, so I expect it be announced shortly, probably at CP+ (along with the new K-01 MILC).
01-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yes, but compare the entry level cameras and you'll see where the threat is coming from:

Digitalni fotoaparat Pentax K-r + 18-55 - mimovrste=)

Digitalni fotoaparat Olympus E-PM1 + EZ-M14-42 II R - mimovrste=)

BTW, because Pentax is the only other DSLR maker next to Canon and Nikon, now it is #3 in sales of DSLRs in Japan! 7.5% of the Japanese DSLR market - unfortunately, they don't have figures to compare DSLR and mirrorless market volumes - that would be interesting to see.
You have a point there, but Oly has total pwnage waiting around the high ISO corner and Pentax has the DSLR form factor.
Almost forgot: In a test/review conducted by a tech magazine here the Olys gave inferior quality pics (compared to competing models) troughout the range. They have good ergonomics and looks, and, sadly, that's the thing consumers look for. We mustn't ignore the fact that practically anything modern with a sensor larger than a P&S will give above-consumer quality pics. Damn, I think I've just disproven myself...
01-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
You have a point there, but Oly has total pwnage waiting around the high ISO corner and Pentax has the DSLR form factor.
Almost forgot: In a test/review conducted by a tech magazine here the Olys gave inferior quality pics (compared to competing models) troughout the range. They have good ergonomics and looks, and, sadly, that's the thing consumers look for. We mustn't ignore the fact that practically anything modern with a sensor larger than a P&S will give above-consumer quality pics. Damn, I think I've just disproven myself...

Yes, the MFT sensors will do less well in low light, but they're still quite usable. And I liked the Olympus kit lens more than the Pentax one.
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I appreciate your positive outlook re: Ricoh - hopefully it pays off for you guys
01-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #59
Veteran Member

+1 to give Ricoh some time, it should be an awesome year for Pentax news but Patience is req.
What we SHOULD be hoping for is some economic stability worldwide.
Marketing, supply chain, getting the right people in the right positions should be Ricohs agenda- Next year will be the big one so speculation should be on Pentax/Ricohs reaction to whats in the market this year.