Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buffer Write Speed of the K10d

I was curious if anyone was using cheaper type SD cards with their k10d or k100. Just as a safety net, I purchased a generic 4 gig SD card from Ebay for about 28.00. Of course I knew the K10d had a buffer to store photo data as new photos were being taken. Being curious, I came up with these write speeds as compared to my Sandisk Extreme III 2 gig SD Card:

Continuous Shooting tests -

Generic card. 12 JPEG Max before buffer was full. Write speed took about 15 seconds before data had finished writing. Continuous Raw was about 6 photos and about 28 seconds to clear buffer.

Sandisk Extreme III card -

Unlimited JPEG.
RAW - Took up to 30 shots continuous. Buffer never filled either, about 2-3 seconds after taking last shot. Continuous shooting was not interupted during tests either.

- Dave

12-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #2

Interesting.
My 1GB Sandisk Extreme III lets me take 9-10 PEF or about 13-14 DNG RAW captures before shooting speed drops considerably lower. 9 RAW continuous mode is also what Pentax claims K10D is capable of.
12-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
I was curious if anyone was using cheaper type SD cards with their k10d or k100. Just as a safety net, I purchased a generic 4 gig SD card from Ebay for about 28.00. Of course I knew the K10d had a buffer to store photo data as new photos were being taken. Being curious, I came up with these write speeds as compared to my Sandisk Extreme III 2 gig SD Card:

Continuous Shooting tests -

Generic card. 12 JPEG Max before buffer was full. Write speed took about 15 seconds before data had finished writing. Continuous Raw was about 6 photos and about 28 seconds to clear buffer.

Sandisk Extreme III card -

Unlimited JPEG.
RAW - Took up to 30 shots continuous. Buffer never filled either, about 2-3 seconds after taking last shot. Continuous shooting was not interupted during tests either.

- Dave
I use SanDisk Extreme III 4 Gb cards. I would never expect to get anything useful from a $28 4 Gb card. That is way too little money. There are also scam cards galore on eBay - they are labeled as what they are not. Pay the bucks and get the real thing for sure from a reliable vendor, local or over the net.
12-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've had much experience with many SD cards. I believe in actuality many of these chips probably come from the same factories. I've never had an SD card fail. I think if you are firing off a few photos at a time, it's still a pretty good deal. The newer Extreme cards are definitly more performance orientated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use SanDisk Extreme III 4 Gb cards. I would never expect to get anything useful from a $28 4 Gb card. That is way too little money. There are also scam cards galore on eBay - they are labeled as what they are not. Pay the bucks and get the real thing for sure from a reliable vendor, local or over the net.

12-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
I believe in actuality many of these chips probably come from the same factories.
From the same factory or not, they're still separated into lots depending on performance and reliability. If a counterfeit card's chips are from a legitimate factory, then they are from bottom-of-the-barrel lots.

But they are not even the same model of chips according to reports. For instance, Extreme III chips are FBGA, and the counterfeit ones are j-legs. Some aren't even of the advertised capacity.