Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
'Man vs Wild' sensor cleaning

Yesterday was my time thinking about 'Man vs Wild' as it is my family favorite TV show in discovery channel. The 'Man vs Wild' survival man host Bear Grylls is my icon. Bear's blog Bear's Blog and wikipedia Man vs. Wild - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am selling some camera gears and a good buddy of mine noticed all dark spots consistent on all my posted pictures and when I examine, I thought it must be the lens that I am selling. And reviewing all recent pictures, I see many dark spots, some more pronounced than others but in similar spots.

I use my Ultrapod II mini-tripod and tilt the camera at an angle down and use my Rocket blower.

Shame on me not using the bulb mode or the right technique to blow out the dust on sensor. My hands are so tired in squeezing the air blower multiple times that I get very frustrated in not ridding the dark spots in photos. At one point into the attempt, I was thinking of 'Man vs Wild' to pee on the sensor as the three dots are no goner with the air blower. Darn that damn dust on my sensor. I actually shake the camera with a small jolt hoping the dust don't stick that long.

Long story short, I thought the air blower will be good enough without the bulb mode. Once in bulb mode, I manage to get the dust out, I think. I am a guy without instruction and I despise instruction and hence the pee pee thought I have on the sensor cleaning. Pee on it and be done in an hour under the sun like the Bear's way of getting water in the desert.

The silly me all the way with sensor cleaning. You can see all of the gear that I am selling in Marketplace in PentaxForums

Last edited by hinman; 12-29-2007 at 08:20 AM.
12-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More thoughts on sensor cleaning

I am talking about the survival situation in picture taking. You are in the desert (spelling) and you have a once in a life time scene that you can't run into again and you have spots all over your previous pictures because of the silly dust sticking on the silly sensor which is NOT water resistant and NOT dust repelling. What are you going to do? My first thought is that I hate the dust and the silly sensor which is not capable at all when it comes to dust. What are you thinking? What am I thinking, I am mad and disappointed with my dSLR, my p&s in the desert can take that beautiful once in a life time picture but not my dSLR because of the dust problems. Here are two choices: bring my point&shoot (p&s) to avoid sand, dust in the desert, find a better dSLR, pee on it to get revenge on that silly sensor all the way the 'Man vs Wild' way.

It is all meant to be a silly discussion, please no punt intended, just silly thoughts with disappointment upon sensor cleaning and dust problems in dSLR. There are reasons to dislike p&s and there are many odd reasons to like p&s.
12-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More silly thoughts

I told my son that I have a very admired friend who does all kinds of rock climbing and camping just like my icon Bear Grylls. Just like the Bear in 'man vs wild' except the pee pee drinking tactic. I think highly of all survivals in the wild especially Bear in the 'man vs wild' tv program, he is my icon and he deserves to be my icon. His optimism is contagious and his true passion nature and his work in showing others what is possible in survival siturations is the Pentax way of dealing with a photo -- none of the other brands have the unusual thinking of the Pentaxian way as far as I can tell. I mean our SR in body, lens compatibility, the pencake, the ultimate ergonomics we know about, the limited lust on limited lens, the lightweight and small size, etc.

Someday when I have extra time, I will talk to my chemist friends and see how bad an idea on cleaning dust specks from pee pee. Yes, I know that moisture kills the sensor, does it, how would I know those thing, K10D is water resistent? Maybe if Pentax makes the sensor water proof and the pee pee can wipe off the dust effectively like a diluted soap liquid. And not like a air blower that gets the dust circling in the chamber with a 30% chance of getting out in one blow, one pee can definitely get all the dust out in single shot plus some if we can aim at the 2 inch opening chamber like my icon Bear aiming in the water bottle. Bear's blog Bear's Blog and wikipedia Man vs. Wild - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Silly thought with disappointment on sensor cleaning
12-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the K100D have a sensor cleaning option which locks the mirror up and opens the shutter??

I've always thought it was not a good idea to clean a camera in Bulb mode, since if you accidentaly let go of the shutter button, the closing mirror/shutter may catch something.
The K10D manual also advises against using the B mode for sensor cleaning.

12-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Does the K100D have a sensor cleaning option which locks the mirror up and opens the shutter??

I've always thought it was not a good idea to clean a camera in Bulb mode, since if you accidentaly let go of the shutter button, the closing mirror/shutter may catch something.
The K10D manual also advises against using the B mode for sensor cleaning.
Indeed, the only way to exit cleaning mode is to turn the camera off for this very reason. Bulb mode might be fine for a quick blow clean but any contact cleaning should be done in cleaning mode in order to reduce the risk of damage to the shutter and mirror assembly.
12-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hin,
The best way to keep dust away from the sensor while in a dusty area is to wet the ground around you.
The water will attract most of the dust.
With that in mind why not save your pee for the ground and wet the area down before you change lenses

I haven't used the pee trick, however when I have to change lenses in dusty regions I look for a lawn that's just been watered, or a pool. Or anything that might have moisture in it.
It doesn't always work, but it does more often than not.