Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #1

"Balanced" feeling of a camera

I handled the new Sony A700 in a shop a few weeks ago and it felt somehow wrong and awkward.
The K10d feels much more "balanced", even though the Sony is the lighter camera (although the kit lens of the Sony is heavier than the K10d kit).

So, what is everyone's opinion on what makes a well balanced camera? How heavy should the body be compared to the lens? Is added a battery grip a good idea when using a heavier lens, just because it makes the body heavier? Is there more to a feeling of "good balance" than just weight distribution?

Also, how balanced does the K10d feel with the new DA* lenses (16-50mm and 50-135mm) compared to attaching these to the K100d?

12-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about "balance", but I prefer having a smaller lens attached. It makes the camera feel like an extension of my hand. So the smaller, the better.
12-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use my Sigma 50-500 (aka Bigma) without the grip on the k10d all the time, but it does feel better WITH the grip on. Most times I'm walking a distance when using the Bigma, so I opt for no grip to save on weight. But I do admit that the camera is better balanced with the grip attached when using the bigma. Same goes for the Voigtlander 125 macro I have which is a pretty heavy lens. Overall though, the k10d is pretty comfortable all on its own with most lenses. I think more than the added weight factor of the grip, it creates more room for my hand to spread out and distribute the weight better in my hands.
12-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I use my Sigma 50-500 (aka Bigma) without the grip on the k10d all the time, but it does feel better WITH the grip on. Most times I'm walking a distance when using the Bigma, so I opt for no grip to save on weight. But I do admit that the camera is better balanced with the grip attached when using the bigma. Same goes for the Voigtlander 125 macro I have which is a pretty heavy lens. Overall though, the k10d is pretty comfortable all on its own with most lenses. I think more than the added weight factor of the grip, it creates more room for my hand to spread out and distribute the weight better in my hands.
I like to have the grip on there for the feel, and for the second battery, SD card and the remote F where I won't drop them into the wetlands.

12-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
So, what is everyone's opinion on what makes a well balanced camera? How heavy should the body be compared to the lens? Is added a battery grip a good idea when using a heavier lens, just because it makes the body heavier? Is there more to a feeling of "good balance" than just weight distribution?
For me it's la combination of leverage on the wrist, grip and thumb position which I find contributes most to the feeling of comfort and balance.

I know I'll get shot down but I've looked at this issue in detail in the past and compared to the *ist D the K10D has quite poor ergonomics from my perspective. When I first bought the K10D I wanted to find out why it felt the way it did so I shot some pics of me holding both cameras so I could overlay and compare them.

On the *ist D the thumb is in a comfortable position not quite vertical and opposing the fingers providing a comfortable but firm grip. The diameter of the grip is also smaller so the fingers wrap around comfortably and due to this and the dimensions and weight the twisting on the wrist is tolerable.

The K10D grip design forces the thumb into a virtually vertical position and due to this and the diameter of the grip there is far more pressure on the middle finger. This can be seen as the blood flow to the finger is reduced over a far larger area (turning it white). In effect you have to hold it harder.

For what it's worth I used to be able to carry my *ist D around like I did my LX in the past, a few hours hanging from my hand whilst walking without too much fatigue. With the K10D I find this impossible without leading to cramps or discomfort, as such I generally hang it over my shoulder if it's not being carried in a case.
12-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #6

While choosing my first DSLR I got in my hands many cameras... At least I held them (I was not able to shoot all of them). From what I've tried (A100, D80, D200, 350D, E500, GX-10) the two most heavy ones looked more comfortable (GX-10 and D200). Other felt more like plastic toys...

As for the lenses, from what I have, I prefer feel of Tamron 28-200. It's quite heavy, much heavier then kit lens, but not THAT heavy as Kiron 28-210, which weight is too much for my taste. Less heavy kit lens is not that comfortable for me, I feel like it's too light for a quite heavy camera.
12-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
The K10D grip design forces the thumb into a virtually vertical position and due to this and the diameter of the grip there is far more pressure on the middle finger. This can be seen as the blood flow to the finger is reduced over a far larger area (turning it white). In effect you have to hold it harder.

For what it's worth I used to be able to carry my *ist D around like I did my LX in the past, a few hours hanging from my hand whilst walking without too much fatigue. With the K10D I find this impossible without leading to cramps or discomfort, as such I generally hang it over my shoulder if it's not being carried in a case.
I just tried my k10d without the grip, and found it as uncomfortable as you do. With the grip, the additional finger seems to balance things out better. It is a big brute, though. OTOH, I like my cameras with meat on their bones. I used the k10d and DA* 16-50 for a couple of hours at -10 C outside with light gloves, and the only discomfort I had was frozen fingers. I wonder how much battery life we would lose with finger grip heaters in the camera?