Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I know its got the same sensor as the K5
The ones having the insight into that say it doesn't.

03-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Now contrast vs phase AF.
Contrast is more accurate.
Phase is faster and better at tracking, it's faster and better at tracking because with phase AF the camera can calculate how much the focus needs to move and which way.
Contrast AF first needs to move the focus to see if it goes the right way so with tracking it will hunt/seek.
Hunting is the standard way of seeking the focus point for CDAF. This disadvantage can never be improved. And it is the reason why tracking is worse. It is inherent to the way CDAF operates. PDAF accuracy though can still be improved quite a bit. Proof is the competitors faster/more accurate AF systems, and the AF improvements that are shown every new model.

That CDAF is more accurate then PDAF isn't a big advantage over PDAF at all. Because manual focus with LV and magnification is even more accurate, and only a little slower. What I mean to say is, if I have the time to use CDAF, (because I'm doing a landscape, architecture, etc...) then I also have the time to do the more accurate MF.

So, I don't even know why CDAF even exists.
03-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The ones having the insight into that say it doesn't.
Well they dont have enough insight to know what I had for tea do they ?
03-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #49
Emperor and Senpai

Original Poster
So, does it have the same sensor or doesn't it, or, has DxOmark tested this thing yet?

03-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
So, does it have the same sensor or doesn't it
Pentax says it doesn't
Besides Sony they are probably the only ones to know for sure.
03-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Hunting is the standard way of seeking the focus point for CDAF. This disadvantage can never be improved. And it is the reason why tracking is worse. It is inherent to the way CDAF operates. PDAF accuracy though can still be improved quite a bit. Proof is the competitors faster/more accurate AF systems, and the AF improvements that are shown every new model.
It hunts because it doesn't know if it needs to focus forward or backwards, it has no way on telling besides moving the focus.
So when it needs to track it simply can't since it doesn't know what to do.