Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just curious: why does the image without the clipping indicator have a monitor color-space tag?

12-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #17

Fine Color Controller is a magic tool when your pic is UE.

This pic is suffer in UE and skin color is reddish. WB has been set to proper temperatur (Sun icon in the left panel):

After Exp bias is added +0.8, the background is now properly exposed. but the foreground object is OE.

To properly fix the foreground object, i simply set this:

A result of Lightness deducted till 40% is:

It's an abracadabra! The skin is no more shining.
After set this:

The final result is more closer to the real:

That's it! Again, it's just me. I hope this will help you and teach you a tiny bit about the capabilities of silkypix.

kyrios

Last edited by kyrios; 12-31-2007 at 10:45 AM.
12-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
jfdavis, they should both have a monitor color space tag, since i took system screenshots (mac os leopard).
12-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

No, they shouldn't. There is no practical need for any image to be tagged with the monitor color space. In fact, there is at least one very good reason why it should not be so tagged: the conversion to monitor space is dumb and blind, carried out by the video card/driver as an automation. Converting and tagging any image with the monitor color space will result in a double conversion-problematic at best.

Anything posted to the web/internet in a 'general use' manner should be spaced and tagged sRGB--the de-facto web standard.

I don't think this issue is particularly significant to your blown highlight problem but rather symptomatic of an overall lack of technical sophistication. Your image is overexposed, the histogram confirms this. There are many resources which adequately explain this.

The scene itself exceeds the dynamic range of the camera sensor and the post processing was performed to achieve the typical over-homogenized sameness of what every-eye 'thinks' it sees. A rather typical and amateurish situation rampant on the web.

Tungsten light is rich in the red wavelengths. As such it has particular problems which you tried to circumvent with heavy-handed post processing; it also has particular strengths which you have turned on end, ignored and misused.

Frankly, you should spend as much time studying the subjects of photography as you do trying to find flaws in the camera--babies and their mothers (head intact) are particularly charming when one works with the available light, including AND PARTICULARLY tungsten light.

Let me apologize for being so blunt; far too many respondents in this thread have blown smoke up your skirt. You seem to be ignoring those that have made useful and correct assessments of the situation. I have no patience for either; but I am trying to help you.

QuoteOriginally posted by mitchkramez Quote
jfdavis, they should both have a monitor color space tag, since i took system screenshots (mac os leopard).

12-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The K10D seems to tend to burn red channel than all other Pentax DSLRs that I have used, including the K100D. As such, the K100D does have better skin tones in my opinions.

Try to shoot a pure red flower with the K10D and it will be even worse.

Shoot RAW is helpless as the information have already lost WHEN you made the shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by mitchkramez Quote
I posted a while ago about some reds (on some bulbs being burned, or the red channels being clipped), this is what initially started by search for answers. First of all, I'm shooting with k10d, doesn't matter which lens (50mm/1.4, 18-55kit, 55-200) as the results are similar across all of them. Basically it seems that my camera is consistently clipping the red channel.

I'm using Apple Aperture 1.5.6. The photos below were taken with my 50mm 1.4, in P mode @ f/2.4, 1/15, 0ev, and ISO 400 and no flash.

I'm including the screen grab of the photo, with the hot areas hilighted, and not highligted, as well as the histogram. Is there something wrong with my camera or is this what happens with indoor lighting for everyone. Even though I shoot in RAW, I wouldn't think I'd have this much post-processing to do. Any insight?

-- edit --
Ovbiously, this is a most extreme case, but I'd say about 90% of my indoor photos exhibit this problem to varying degrees.
--/edit--

12-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The K10D seems to tend to burn red channel than all other Pentax DSLRs that I have used, including the K100D. As such, the K100D does have better skin tones in my opinions.
Hmm. This doesn't match my experience; the K10D seems slightly better with skin tones than my K100D was, but both tended to want to overexpose them.
01-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The K10D seems to tend to burn red channel than all other Pentax DSLRs that I have used, including the K100D. As such, the K100D does have better skin tones in my opinions. Try to shoot a pure red flower with the K10D and it will be even worse. Shoot RAW is helpless as the information have already lost WHEN you made the shots.

Nonsense, RiceHigh. The K10D can handle reds, including skin tones, as well as any camera. Notice no major blown out reds in the travel snapshot below (original Adobe DNG). The key (with any digital camera, not just the K10D) is to control extremes in brightness to avoid exceeding digital's typical dynamic range. Of course, if you had actually used a K10D for any length of time (and you've admitted to not doing so, RiceHigh), you would have known all this before posting such silliness.

stewart

{ IMAGE REMOVED AFTER 10 DAYS }

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-09-2008 at 08:11 AM.
01-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Try to shoot a pure red flower with the K10D and it will be even worse.

Shoot RAW is helpless as the information have already lost WHEN you made the shots.
Nope, red's are never really blown in RAW (unless the exposure is extreme) Only blow out w/ WB and tone curve aplied. Smoke and mirrors...

01-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
jf davis, i think you misunderstood, they're tagged with monitor color space because that's what macos does when you take a screenshot using the built in system utilities. i wouldn't use these images anywhere else, but just wanted to post a screenshot.

Clearly if I were to print these, i would export them in srgb, but again these were just screenshots to post in the forum, I wanted to get my "hot" spots in there so the screenshot was the only option, so i did both that way.