Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Christmas Train and Two Questions

A couple pics taken with my new K10D of my brother-in-law's model train that runs around the Christmas village he and my sister-in-law have setup in their living room. I've taken lots more shots but many of them didn't turn out because of backlighting. How do I compensate for backlighting?

Also, something that I've been dying to ask even since I started lurking here. What exactly does LBA stand for???? I figured out it has something to do with lenses but that's about it.

The Christmas Express

Here Comes The Train

12-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

select spot metering or center weighted, if you have heavy backlighting.

LBA means lens buying addiction
12-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
select spot metering or center weighted, if you have heavy backlighting.

LBA means lens buying addiction
When working with models, you probably have fixed lighting, so I would tend to go to manual exposure, and spot meter.

Set the k10d to spot metering (under the mode dial on the top left).
Set the mode dial to M

Find something of roughly average brightness, and point the center of the lens at it, then press the green button next to the shutter release. This will set your manual exposure to what the camera program line gives.

Check the shutter speed and aperture values in the screen.

Take a shot or two, and check them carefully on the rear LCD. If they are under exposed, use either edial to add 1 stop of exposure - it's on the top LCD, and also in the finder.

Try again, and you will slowly get the hang of it. It sounds more complicated than it really is.
12-30-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't forget you're shooting a moving subject and it matters a lot what angle you're shooting at.