Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Now I understan5.d why dslr

Have posted in the past my misunderstanding of the dslr. Seriously looked into mirrorless cameras and the like. Went so far as to borrow a friends Cannon Rebel and a Cannon SX200, and another buddy's Sony dslr with an electronic view finder. Also bought some film for the ol' MX. What I did was to use the cameras side by side under various conditions for light and subjects.

What I found was the P&S was a snap shot camera, did not really allow me to compose the pic in the way I was accustomed to doing with my MX mainly due to the fact that I could not hold it still! With my Pentax I use my head as part of the stabilizing mechanism so I can frame the shot exactly as I want it.

The Rebel was nice and seemed to function like an auto slr from long ago, but I have no lenses to use with it. Also, what you see in the view finder is not what you get.

The Sony had a view finder that for some reason did not jive with me. Did not like the light that was in it when compared to the MX. Like the Rebel it seemed to behave like an auto slr of the past and the view finder did not accurately represent what the final product would be.

The MX was a joy to use in the way I use a camera. As always it felt good to hold and composing pics was easy. For sure I will continue to use it until processing and printing become cost prohibitive.

My conclusion: I now understand why many of you folks are adamant about the value of a dslr, how much better they are for serious photography, and why a full frame option should be on the table for Pentax, at least for the serious photographer out there.

My search has begun anew for a dslr, and I believe I will travel to nearest city that has a K5 for me to experience so I can make a sound decison. GR, MI has no stocking Pentax dealer. Yet as stated in the past, I would like a bare bones dslr with controls like the Leica and no video or in camera processing. I am now thinking should I wait till Pentax comes up with something later this year, or simply compromise with a K5? This is not getting any easier!

01-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sadly, you might have an easier time finding a person (a user) with a K-5 than an actual camera store.
01-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
compromise with a K5?
Poor you.
01-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The withdrawal of Pentax from brick and mortar retail stores does really harm the type of comparison you are trying to do. I know that B&H along with Adroama in NY City carry the K5. I know that Samy's in the LA area carry it. Fry's Electronics around the nation use to carry the entry level Kx/Kr. Other than that, I believe you might be SOL.

I guess you could order one mail order from someplace that has a reasonable return policy. However, other than that, Pentax really does not make it easy to compare and contrast their products. Usually, its a sign of a sub-par product, however in this case, they have a very competitive product - especially in the ergonomics, and it winds up hidden away from the buying public.

Now, to be honest - camera stores are a dying breed - you will probably be hard pressed to find one, however they are not even in the large box stores like Costco, etc.

When I was looking for my first dSLR I was fortunate enough to be able handle the units in a store. 3 years ago I upgraded to the K20 and went on blind faith that it would work out well. I just ordered a K5 on Wednesday - again going on blind faith that its ergonomics will be as good as the K20 has been.

01-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought my first Pentax in GR, MI - but that was an H1a in 1965. I see Mark's Photo is still there on S. Division, but no Pentax.
I also couldn't find one to handle in Texas, so bought from Amazon.
01-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just read the reviews, pay attention to the K5 related threads on this forum, weigh all the info, and make as best an educated guess as possible I suppose. The online business model presents a bit of a problem for a newbie to digital like myself, but the problem likely can be overcome. Just find the right vendor with a return policy that does not punish the customer and all will be fine. I hope!

Truly, the only things I am concerned with is the view finder and how it works with my eyes, problem free ownership, and the ease of use with manual lenses. The last will be the one thing I have really go on blind faith and others experience.

Pentax does not have a dealer list? Uh?
01-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Were are you?
01-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
In Grand Rapids, MI. No shop in town carries them, and not sure if any one has them on hand in the state of MI! I suppose handling a Canikon will give the same feel...maybe.

01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #9

Camera Craft, (Rockford IL) has a excellent inventory of Pentax. The sales staff is well educated, not just a salesperson, and the owner shoots PENTAX. I bought my K10D from them and would not hesitate buying from them again.
01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm in Michigan and shoot Pentax. If you find a store that sells Pentax, other then used lenses, let me know.