Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #1

K-x Li-on AA Rechargables?

I was wondering If AA recharagable li-on packs would work in the k-x battery slots?

01-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you know of any that put out the proper voltage and are the proper size?
01-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
I was wondering If AA recharagable li-on packs would work in the k-x battery slots?
If you are talking about 14500's (li-ions) like these,
AW 14500 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery,--- absolutely not! Li-ions typically have nominal voltage at 3.7 volts and usually charge higher, such as to 4.2 volts. This would result in something like 16volts (4.0v x 4) after charging! Way more than the 4.0 to 6.0 volts normally. Definitely would hurt your camera.

If you are not actually referring to lithium ion batteries, but rather lithiums like these,
Energizer L-91 Lithium AA Battery L91, the answer is yes. These are not the same as rechargeable lithium ions, both in terms of voltage and the fact that they are not rechargeable.

If you are talking about rechargeable AAs, like these, Sanyo Eneloop 4 AA Cells, the answer is also yes. I heartily recommend these, as I use them all the time. One problem with conventional nimh chemistry is that they self discharge. However, the Eneloops retain about 85% of their voltage over longer periods, unlike regular nimhs.

Hope this helps!
01-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are referring to Li-ion rechargeables, probably not a good idea. The voltage of a rechargeable Li-ion cell is significantly higher than the 1.5V expected by the device.

I also looked at the Li rechargeable CR-3V double cell pack for my K200-D, and multiple references suggested it was not a good idea. Some of the camera battery bays actually have an excluder tab to prevent the use of these cell packs in the camera. Also, from my experience, the Li rechargeable cells where 8 times the price of good NiMH cells. So the economics did not make sense.

Rather look at the low self discharge Ni-MH (Sanyo Eneloop being the most recognisable). These do not last as long as Li rechargeables would, but I just carried 2 spares sets as backup.

01-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Moo

No problems here at all using ebay lithium recharchable CR-V3s here for years in *ist D and *ist DL2. They are cheap, less fiddly, last a very long time, have a cheap convenient charger, etc.
01-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
No problems here at all using ebay lithium recharchable CR-V3s here for years in *ist D and *ist DL2. They are cheap, less fiddly, last a very long time, have a cheap convenient charger, etc.
oh no problems at all? hmm, i might think about getting myself a pair then. Do you have a k-x as well?
01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Please do check the inside of the battery bay before you purchase CR-3V. You might need to shave away some plastic before it will fit..

I think the *ist D & K100-D allowed these CR-3V to fit, but they changed the battery bays at some point and on some models.

01-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
Moo

I don't have a newer camera yet. It looks like the compartment of the K-x is designed to accept CR-V3s, but I have no idea if they'd actually work. Hopefully they do.
01-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

- What does the manual say.

- Have a look at this thread on K200-D and CR-3V https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/32368-can-k200d-us...tml#post294154. Note the plastic lugs in the battery compartment which will cause you to hack either the camera bay or the battery pack. I think K-x has similar lugs.
01-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You sure they are Li-Ion?
01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Moo

Ah, if there is an internal "ridge" on both sides of each slot, then yes that'd stop it. I was going by the flat on one side of each slot in that photo... The length may be an issue too.
And yes, mine are li-ion.
01-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well.. I mean, only one way to find out. Probably going to stop by fry's electronics to pick some up then return the ones that don't fit.
01-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-x doesn't support CR-V3's. At least I couldn't get them to fit when I switched from *ist DS. Could be possible with shaving off some plastic though, as previously mentioned.
01-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #14
Moo

Bah, how lame. I wonder if the Energizer deal mentioned in that other thread has something to do with that after all.
01-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #15

Hint Hint!

I'd think that the need to file your camera to make them fit might hint that they aren't recommended.