Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ist DL Producing White/Blank Images?

Hey guys, thought maybe you could offer us some help... A cousin of mine (who knows nothing about cameras) purchased an ist DL body at an estate sale a few weeks ago and this weekend got an 18-55 AL lens at a pawnshop. He tried the camera with the lens, but he only gets white/blank images.

Is it possible that it's a problem with the camera- or maybe the settings that he's using that are causing this?
Any tips I can pass on to him that he should try?

Thanks

01-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1st thing to do when you buy a used camera is to reinitialize it to be sure that any configuration made by the previous owner is gone. To do so, you can refer to the step 0: read the manual ;-)

If this doesn't work, ok the camera has a problem.
01-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #3

You stated your cousin knows nothing about cameras. First, make sure he has the dial on the left/top of the camera turned to "Auto Pict", that will set it to auto exposure. The first thing that came to my mind (other than CCD/sensor falure) was that the camera was set on manual and was grossly overexposing each image, which in some cases can lead to a blank white image especially if he's using the flash..

Zav also has a very good point, Pentax digital and many later film bodies allowed the user to set "custom functions". The first thing I do when I buy a used body is reset them to my preferences. Below is a link to the manual for your friends camera from Pentax's website (it's a PDF document).

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/418_1314745034-491432941_manual.pdf

Good luck, I hope it's something simple and he'll be shooting in no-time.

Edit: Just as an afterthought, if the above doesn't work don't give up on the camera until you've tried it with a second "known good" lens. It's always possible you purchased a bad lens that has the aperture blades stuck wide open.

Last edited by average-guy; 01-23-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: spelling error, add extra info
01-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually I had this happen with my *ist DL intermittently until the camera finally died. It was one of the first signs that something was seriously wrong with it I guess. See if you can borrow another lens, do a factory reset and check, but you might have a camera on it's last legs.

02-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the tips, I passed them on, but unfortunately, nothing seems to have helped... I think he'll be listing it for parts on Ebay, so if anyone's in the market for a broken ist, you'll know where to look.