Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Broken K-x; Question about repairs

I have a K-x I purchased almost 2 years ago and since, has incurred some damage.
  • The flash no longer pops up
  • The AF/MF switch is stuck
  • The shutter seldom triggers when the button is depressed
  • When the shutter does trigger, it is only with a manual lens.
    [My guess is something was knocked out of whack; when I shake the camera in a certain way, and jiggle the AF/MF switch, the shutter will trigger.]

I am seeking to get the camera repaired but I am uncertain whether to send it to Pentax or an outside repair service.
*Precision Camera [precisioncamera.com] offers a K-x repair for about US $140 but may charge more if additional parts are needed.
*Pentax offers that you send in the camera so that they may send you back a quote.

Turnover time is a major concern of mine. From all I've heard, Pentax can take quite some time getting your camera repaired and back in your hands. Price is also a major factor for me. If it's going to cost me much over $200, I might as well purchase a new camera. Does anyone have experience or suggestion to offer as to what route I should go? Would it seem that these repairs are extensive and would cost more?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

01-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It sounds like you've trashed your K-x... I can only wonder how... (a part of me really wants to know, another part is horified...)

I imagine it'd be cheaper to buy a secondhand unit... (by the sound of it, even an older model may be in better condition than your clapped-out K-x)
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
It sounds like you've trashed your K-x... I can only wonder how... (a part of me really wants to know, another part is horified...)
A cycling accident
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
A cycling accident
Wow - must of been a hard fall, my white Kx tipped over and smashed on the hard concrete from about 6ft high, it also took a hard hit while I was skateboarding back to my room after shooting the Dew Tour this past year in ocean city (yes, I took a massive spill going about 15 miles per hour on a board on the hard pavement ) and it still functions with no issues after 30k shutter actuation's...

01-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Wow - must of been a hard fall, my white Kx tipped over and smashed on the hard concrete from about 6ft high, it also took a hard hit while I was skateboarding back to my room after shooting the Dew Tour this past year in ocean city (yes, I took a massive spill going about 15 miles per hour on a board on the hard pavement ) and it still functions with no issues after 30k shutter actuation's...
I hit a pothole at 20-30.. I flipped and hit the ground pretty hard.
That was over a year ago though.. This problem only came about in the recent 2-3 months.
I can't think of any other time it's encountered damage