Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

K10 Mirror mechanism

So I recently had some issues with my K10 seemingly back focussing so I thought it was an issue with recently having updated the firmware. I sent the camera back to Pentax and they say that the mirror mechanism needs to be replaced. Has nyone encountered this problem? If I bought the part, is it something I could fix on my own? The part apparently is about $100 but the labour they say is almost $400. If it's not something I can fix on my own then I may as well look at buying a new one rather than fixing this one.

Thanks

01-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About 3 years ago I had my K10D shutter fail, at the time they also replaced the mirror assembly, with no explanation.

There have from memory, been discussions in the past about the fact that the mirror rest in the K10D is only on one side, and this can lead to long term drift of the focus point. Not sure if it is true or not, just recalling some posts.

the truth is, however that focusing is dependant on the mirror assembly , so a mirror problem could lead to a focus issue
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Smurfy- considering that $500 will get you a like-new graded K-x from KEH + a few extra lenses, repair doesn't seem so attractive. I have a K10D as well and hope the same doesn't happen to mine. Shutter fail seems to me analogous to the transmission dying in 8 year old car: the end. Oh well, upgrade opportunity! Good luck.
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davlee Quote
Smurfy- considering that $500 will get you a like-new graded K-x from KEH + a few extra lenses, repair doesn't seem so attractive. I have a K10D as well and hope the same doesn't happen to mine. Shutter fail seems to me analogous to the transmission dying in 8 year old car: the end. Oh well, upgrade opportunity! Good luck.
except that the shutter failed just about 3 months after the end of the canadian 2 year warranty. I paid to fix because it seemed like a better use than the value of a door stop. bought a K7 anyway but the K10 has shot another 7 k shots since it was fixed, so for $300 it was worth it. The K10 has had another failure, this time lens lockinf pin and af drive coupling to lens release button. no lenses will af and no lenses will lock on the mount. decided this time not to fix. the K10D is now, with the use of a pentax M42 adaptor a very advanced spotmatic

Actually since the failure was only in the mechanics of the mount, I have just ignored the failure. the rest of the camera works fine.