Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

K7 advice

Hi. I just got a second hand K7 to bring on holdiay to Norway. I'm hoping to photograph the northern lights but my first try was not sucessful. I'm hoping that someone can advise me of the correct settings as the generic suggestions from keen northern lights photgraphers I found on line are beyond my current understanding!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/172951-new-these-f...#ixzz1kXtv6lBC

01-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. The K-7 is a great camera. I got mine 2 years ago and I love it. I have no experience with the northern lights, but I found that the K-7 can give greats shots in low lights and dim lights using some fast prime lenses. In my case, these are the FA31mm f1.8 and the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 which work great outdoor. The VL58mm is built like a tank and it is avery rugged lens, well-suited for harsch conditions.

Hope that the comment may help.
01-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. My challenge is more than lense selection. THis being my first dslr I do not know how to operate it. I believe that I need to set ISO and F manually but don't get how. On my first attempt with the 18-55 which came with the kit I boght, I set to bulb and manual ISO400 but the camera would not take the photo. I've since tried with the 18-135 lense, switched to MF, bulb and SEL on the AF which allows to me to take the shot. I guess what I'd like is advice on how to set the camera up?
01-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
Larsenio , forum member, just posted some photos ( and link to Flickr with more) from Norway, have a look at settings ( EXIF)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/172940-night-aurora-bore...ic-norway.html

01-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #5

I use TaV setting most of the time and if I run upto ISO 3200 I still get good results and with noise reduction in LR3 it turns out perfectly. I mostly use EV +0.3 or 0.6 and then throttle back in LR for best results - even for sunsets.

I prefer to control my speed (minimize any shaking) and play with the aperture to my hearts content - TaV then looks after ISO.

Of course using manual is just as good.
Good luck
01-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #6

I-trax,
awesome and stunning shots!

Although the light is low TaV will still give you the most flexibilty - I would still try it once with ISO 3200 (short timing) and work back from there.
01-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Northern Lights

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
I-trax,
Although the light is low TaV will still give you the most flexibilty - I would still try it once with ISO 3200 (short timing) and work back from there.
I've never shot the Northern Lights, but find with sunsets I use auto and 1-2 stops -ev, always at iso100, speed isn't much of a factor, at least as far as exposure goes, you jave to fast or the scene has changed, but 1/1000 sec isn't going to make much difference!

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 04-29-2013 at 12:35 AM.
02-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. It seemed to help a great deal. The images I took looked OK on the LCD of the camera. I downloaded them to my laptop, which appears to have terminal HDD problems so I haven't been able to look at the images properly (if ever now!). Still, a good excuse to go back to Norway....

02-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Stafford, any excuse to go to Norway is a good one. I always shoot some keepers there.
02-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

i live in Norway and have only had the chance to shoot northern lights once. it came out ok. but it wasn't that much to see in the sky that night either. don't remember my settings, but just take some shoots and you'll figure it out.

here is a time laps, didn't turn out to good, but i think i had the camera for about 1 month at the time, and this is my first dslr. k7 by the way with kit lens. hadn't bought more at the time.

Northern lights - YouTube
02-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Northern lights on youtube

Indeo, I think that is really quite nice! I got a used K-7 about a month ago and haven't tried any time lapse yet. You have inspired me. Now, if I can just get a solar flare to happen at the right time...