Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is Pentax "obsessed" with small?

Just wondering what people think about Pentax's destination to be the smallest in most of the DSLR category.
Is it just because they think that is what people want? has it just been a tradition?
I picked up a K5 not long ago and thought it was a bit small for my hands (which are not that big) and preferred the bigger size of my k10 body

thought?
right direction?

any opinions welcomed

cheers

01-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #2

if ergonomics are right what normal reason would one have to want bigger

having the same performance in a smaller package equals better engineering to me
01-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax and Olympus, for many years, have tried to make the smallest dSLRs possible. Still, they are not alone. Alot of the selling points behind the new mirrorless cameras is that they are "small enough to take with you." Small particularly seems to be a fascination of the Japanese and most of these companies are based in Japan.

Truthfully, Pentax cameras aren't that much smaller in size than comparable cameras from the other companies. The K5 is just a little smaller than the D7000. The D7000 weighs in at 775 grams, the K5 at 740 grams (both with battery). The K5 is a little more stoutly built, but it still isn't that different. Add a grip (as many people do) and it is no longer a small camera.
01-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree, I found that when I got my D*ist I had to get the grip so I could hold it comfortably, same with my K-7 needed to grip for me to use comfortably, (big hands) but, will admit, its good having a small camera body(sans grip) when travelling, so less to fit in a small carry bag.

01-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Just wondering what people think about Pentax's destination to be the smallest in most of the DSLR category.
Is it just because they think that is what people want? has it just been a tradition?
I picked up a K5 not long ago and thought it was a bit small for my hands (which are not that big) and preferred the bigger size of my k10 body

thought?
right direction?

any opinions welcomed

cheers
I'm with you Slip regarding your preference for the size of the K10 over the K5. I thought the K10 was a bit small before I added the battery grip. I have a K5 and I'll be adding a battery grip as I find it a bit small as well.

I don't know that Pentax is obsessed with small cameras but it has been a trademark for them starting with the M series lenses and cameras of the early 1980s. My first film camera was an MX and it was very small - too small for my taste. I added the MX winder and it was a perfect fit.

Small was not always a Pentax trait. The K series, the first K mount cameras and lenses, were significantly bigger than the M series which replaced them. Personally I prefer the K series lenses to the M series in part because they are physically lager.

Hmmm as I look back on this post I see I have purchased 2 accessory battery grips and one winder. Maybe they make them smaller to sell accessories.

Tom G
r
01-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I liked the size of my GX-20 (K20D) so much so that when I first saw the K-5 I thought I wouldn't like it. Now though I wouldn't want to go back and find the size and handling of the K-5 fantastic.

***edit***

Although I would like a D-BG4
01-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax is obsessed with "small"...I think all the other manufacturers are obsessed with "large". I don't know if this plays any part in Pentax's thinking, but my wife wants no part of my K10D. She says it's too large and heavy. Even men in my camera club who pick it up comment on the weight. So maybe, by going somewhat smaller, Pentax is trying to build cameras that take female photographers into account.

01-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's just to increase their competitive advantage. They can't beat canikon's lens choices, flash capabilities, autofocus, full frame, etc. So they find other areas where they can and one of them happens to be smaller camera sizes. It's just a marketing strategy, a point of differentiation. It also just happens that Pentax's main markets happen to be in places where people normally have small hands which also works in their favour.
01-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

K5 is still larger then most Film SLR...
01-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have normal sized hands, and I have no problems with my K-x being small. In fact, one of the things that attracted me to Pentax was the size advantage of their cameras, and I hope they continue to make their cameras a little smaller than the competition.

If Pentax tries to make the cameras exactly the same as the competition, then they'll likely lose the battle since it's hard to compete with Canon and Nikon on level ground. By going a little smaller, they differentiate themselves by offering something a little different, attracting customers who want a smaller camera.
01-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Canikony already make the big cameras, let Pentax do the small ones

If its small, it can be bulked up with a grip.
If its already big, you'd have to use a saw to make it small
01-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As long as you dont lose functionality then the smaller the better !
Your far more likely to be carrying your gear if its smaller and less hassel.
I used Mamyia RZ67 in the studio
Bronica ETR 645 for weddings
35mm SLR for out an about !
Now my APSC is so amazing and so compact, one camera does it all !
Everyday is Xmas day !
01-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote

thought?
right direction?

any opinions welcomed

cheers
Because Japanese people tend to have smaller hands and like smaller things than Americans do.

They sell more cameras to the home market than they do in the US. That's why people don't understand the Q. It wasn't designed for the US market.
01-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my first DSLR - the KX, the choosing factors: the small size, performance ,build quality, ergonomics , AA , value for money , compatibility with old K & M42 lenses
my second DSLR - K7 , again the small size, performance , value for money ,build quality, ergonomics , AA ( with D-BG4) , compatibility with old K & M42 lenses
my 3rd , Hmmm... kind of mirror-less DSLR - the Q , again the small size, performance , build quality, ergonomics , value for money ( ~AU$450 with 01+02) ,compatibility with old K , M42 ,P110 and C lenses , I wish it could use AA . The included battery ( D-LI68) rather useless, but you can get them for AU$3.99 delivered - already ordered some.
01-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I'm with you Slip regarding your preference for the size of the K10 over the K5. I thought the K10 was a bit small before I added the battery grip. I have a K5 and I'll be adding a battery grip as I find it a bit small as well.

I don't know that Pentax is obsessed with small cameras but it has been a trademark for them starting with the M series lenses and cameras of the early 1980s. My first film camera was an MX and it was very small - too small for my taste. I added the MX winder and it was a perfect fit.

Small was not always a Pentax trait. The K series, the first K mount cameras and lenses, were significantly bigger than the M series which replaced them. Personally I prefer the K series lenses to the M series in part because they are physically lager.
Tom G
r
When they introduced the M series lenses, Pentax claimed that there was no difference in quality between these and the preceding K series. Random testing results on the web would indicate that some of the K series lenses were slightly better in optical quality.
Chhayanat