Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #1

k100d w/ non Pentax flash: no ttl?

I just received a Bower 35AFPX flash to use with my K100d. The flash claims to be Pentax ttl compatible, but the camera doesn't seem to do much with the flash besides fire the thing.

I realize that this isn't THE flash for this camera, but I didn't want to shell out the same cost as the body for a tilt/swivel Pentax flash [AF540FGZ] so I grabbed this $50 flash. The thing does have all the pins that correspond with the ones on the shoe but I can't figure out how to get them to talk.

The flash compensation has no effect [is this limited to the on camera flash?] and when shooting in auto or P closeups are way overexposed.

Where do I start or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance!

Rafael
K100d
DA 18-55mm
Tamron AF28-300/3.5-6.3

12-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
TTL vs, P-TTL

I would guess that your Bower flash is only TTL dedicated to Pentax cameras. The K100D only supports P-TTL flashes. I don't know what the difference between TTL and P-TTL is as I only have a K100D. From what I have read on other forums is that Pentax stopped the TTL support after one of the ist* D(x) models. There are only a few flashes that support P-TTL - Pentax AF200, AF360 and AF540, Sigma EF500 and new EF530, Promaster 7500EDF (new), and maybe some Metz models to name a few. These are all in the $200+ range with the exception of the Pentax AF200 which goes for under $150. You may be able use your Bower as a simple auto flash, where you would manually set the F stop, ISO, and lens focal length on your flash to match what your K100D is set for.
12-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whether the flash is TTL or not is really sort of a moot point since the K100D is not TTL. I have two old Pentax flashes with an "Auto-TTL" mode on them but I knew when I bought them that I couldn't use that mode.

The K100D (and the K10D) is P-TTL......not TTL. Despite the similarity of the terms, the two are not the same thing and when forcibly brought together will studiously ignore each other.

If the flash has some auto modes, you still may be able to use it with your K100D, but you can forget about TTL.
12-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I went through the same stuff in looking for a good but cheaper flash gun than the 540, and realised I had to settle for auto or manual flash on M mode. But don't rule out your flash's capabilities on the K100D. Once you become savvy with your flash on M mode, you can churn out reliable shots.

Not much of a consolation, but it's either the 360, 540 or the Sigma/Promaster P-TTL flashes, or it's a flash on M mode on the K100D. So I've got myself 2 auto flashes with variable manual settings, worth about $30 each, and they've done the job - just takes a couple of shots to get the exposure just right.

But oh, to have multiple 540's........ jealousy is not very becoming.