Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

K20 refurb?

It is getting to the point where I am becoming impatient with holding out for a new dslr model from Pentax. I have found a refurbished K20 unit on line and am considering it, but am reluctant to purchase any electronic device that has been "refurbished". What has been your experience?

By the way I like the K20 because it has no video capability and what people say about it's ruggedness. How is it to use with manual lenses, as that is what I will be using all of the time.

01-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have heard good and bad things about refurbished bodies. Usually some camera bodies are better suited than others, and the K20D has a solid reputation of s sturdy lens which makes it an ideal candiate.

But the more important aspect is : where do you get it from? what is the return policy? You may want some peace of mind and a '30 days return' policy for example may be useful.

Food for thought and hope that the comment may help....
01-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe try for a K20 in the marketplace here from a member who is simply upgrading to K5 (or God forbid 'changing systems')?

Good used copies can oft be found...
01-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The presence of video mode doesn't degrade the image quality- if you were to get a K-5, you'd generally enjoy better IQ and less noise (and less sluggishness overall).

All the Pentax advanced amateur bodies support manual lenses in the same way, though I personally like the fact that they have 2 e-dials as it makes adjusting shutter speed and aperture a breeze with auto lenses. They've done it much better than any other manufacturer, if you ask me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

I bought a refurbed K20d some months ago. I ran through all the tests I could think of and found that the sensor had some stain: distinct dots, globs & circles showed up against a blue sky. I contacted the seller and they told me to return it. They immediately sent me a replacement which I've used since then. It had low shutter activations and looked and seemed new in every respect. The seller I bought from had several refurbed K20ds and he had a replacement policy. It was a bit of a nuisance dealing with the first unit which was flawed, but the second one was worth waiting for.

I sometimes use legacy lenses but only autofocus zooms (as opposed to primes) because they are most convenient on hikes. My limited experience is that the legacy AF lenses I have used aren't in the same category as Pentax, Sigma & Tamron digital lenses. Manual primes would be suitable for a different sort of photography IMO.

Lawrence
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just bought a used K20d, this is night #1 with it (haven't even had it a day yet) and it seems to be everything I expected though its my first DSLR so I don't know a damn thing. I'm just using it with old SMC-A lenses so I have no idea what to expect with a new AF set. I picked it because it seemed to be the perfect balance of quality and price point (used anyways). I considered the extra $100-$150 on average that it cost over a used K10D to be well worth it, and I didn't see anything in a newer Pentax that was any more perfected or of any use to me. As was stated lots of K20D's are showing up on the market right now because people are updating to newer models.

I'm not sure its really possible to "refurb" a K20D, clean and test maybe but its not like you can really give it much of a tune up and lube job. Better off just buying one used from a board member in the for sale section in my opinion. If its someone with some posts we usually tend to be rather honest with each other and they would likely tell you if something was iffy or bad about it. I payed $450 for mine because I was impatient and this one came with everything it originally did including the box and all in like new condition. They can be gotten for more or less depending on where and when and what it comes with.

First thing I did was the cover the lens and take a pic test, and i'm not seeing any consistent dead spots in the sensor, mine has just over 7300 clicks on it now. Had a brief panic from a white spot on several pics, but it seems to have been some white packaging crap I spotted earlier on the mirror having worked its way to the sensor but its gone now, maybe ill chase in there later with air or something.
01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is nothing inherently wrong with refurbished. It means it has been repaired.