Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Pentax makes good quality, mid level gear that can produce decent photos. The Pentax glass generally comes in about 55-60% as sharp as Nikons or Canons best pro level glass on the optical bench tests.
There was a lot of common sense in your post (which won't appeal to pixel peepers) above - however the statement quoted could not be more wrong - 55-60 % !?! I think you need to go and check out those test results again ! Pentax's best glass (FA Ltd, DA* and DA Ltd) is more often than not on the same level or thereabouts with Nikon's/Canon's and in some cases even blows away the best comparable Nikon and Canon's L glass, as tests have proven. It is a fallacy to say that the best Nikon / Canon glass is better, almost just because it is so expensive and the assumption therefore is you are getting more for your money.

However that said let's also make it clear that just because a lens is sharper, has less Chroma/PF, faster AF etc. etc. doesn't always mean it produces a better photo since considerations such as rendering and bokeh, two (almost impossible to measure) qualities, not only influence the quality and IQ of a picture more but are totally subjective !

02-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by DownhillGR
as far as i'm concerned i've tried a few friend's gear like, nikon d40, d90, d5000, canon 450d, 500d. some of these cameras are considered to be in k-x's league, and some considered out of it's league. All of my friends mocked me about my choice of a pentax k-x. When the time came for tests all of them shoved their gear in their bags. Finally, besides the speed and quality of the camera, the common question was "whow! your's has also this feature?".
in that list only the D90 and the 550D can beat and/or come at par with the long-discontinued K-x... but well, it still depends on the photographer. A "good eye" with a K-x can beat a "bad eye" with a 1DIV/D3x, at least that's what I believe
The d5000 is a pretty old camera (though I suppose the Kx is too now - even though you can still buy it new in some places), the newer (and similarly priced to the Kx) d5100 a very highly rated camera with great specs at it's price point and most certainly equals or betters the Kx - but at a very slightly higher price.
02-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrightStar Quote
I tried to upload a photo taken with the k5 to give an example of k5 quality, but only came out with the image name. Can someone tell me how to do this?
One way is to upload to your profile album, then link to it on your post.

This discussion is like religion (which can lead to wars).

I am happy with Pentax you are happy with Canon and he with Nikon. Then we are all happy.

Last edited by Pontax; 02-03-2012 at 03:35 AM.
02-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The d5000 is a pretty old camera (though I suppose the Kx is too now - even though you can still buy it new in some places), the newer (and similarly priced to the Kx) d5100 a very highly rated camera with great specs at it's price point and most certainly equals or betters the Kx - but at a very slightly higher price.
i should remind you that k-x's main opposition was d5000. Actually they came out almost at the same time. d5100 came out later so maybe we should rate it against maybe kr?

02-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster  Quote
Pentax makes good quality, mid level gear that can produce decent photos. The Pentax glass generally comes in about 55-60% as sharp as Nikons or Canons best pro level glass on the optical bench tests.
I dunno... This guy seems to do ok with his mediocre Pentax gear.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 02-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.
02-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I dunno... This guy seems to do ok with his mediocre Pentax gear.
Gibby : you have mis-quoted me, please edit it. That is what Slackercruster said and I quoted him in my reply (read post #61 above again).
02-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Gibby : you have mis-quoted me, please edit it.
Sorry 'bout that. All I did was highlight the text and click "Quote This Text". The forum actually attributed your name to the quote & I didn't notice that it was wrong.

02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Sorry 'bout that. All I did was highlight the text and click "Quote This Text". The forum actually attributed your name to the quote & I didn't notice that it was wrong.
No problem
02-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #69
Veteran Member

...one other thing before you jump!

Check out these shots. Some outstanding photos here. Guess no one told them they could not do it with a Pentax?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/88994-show-us-your...k-x-shots.html
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too be honest I'm more concerned at the beauty of the photo than which dslr it was taken with:-)
02-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #71
Pentaxian

just to throw in my opinion, I've been thinking long and hard about the k5 or 7d. i've been perusing various sites and eventually opened up the k-5 pictures thread on here, and a similar canon thread. i've come to the conclusion that either

a) the average 7d user lives in far northern scotland and ONLY shoots in drab and overcast lighting
b) the average 7d user has no idea how to get life and color from the camera settings and underexposes everything
c) the 7d simply takes inferior photo's to the k5.

seriously, i just don't see the color, "life", impact and sheer detail in the 7's shots that i do in similar k5 pics. THe k5 thread contains better images across the board, with impact and a cheery brightness. even on apparently beautiful sunny days, the 7D often looks underwhelming and under-stated. there is a drabness and slightly mushy feel to so many of the pics that just put me off. no "wow" factor, i guess. which is a problem, because i really want to like the camera for it's AF system. but i'm coming to the conclusion that that (and perhaps linked with this is the better options for long fast glass) would be the ONLY reason to choose it.

now this is just looking at the 7d. other canon's may be "better", and jumping to nikon might make sense. but i think that whilst the pentax system is definitely limited in some area's, it definitely takes pictures of quality at least the equal of anyone else. just my observations.

Last edited by saladin; 02-05-2012 at 06:27 PM.