Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kurt,
You probably have already extracted the file. Try doing a search for FWDC206B.BIN and see if you can find it on your computer.

And if you are still having problems. PM me and I'll give you a phone number you call me and I'll walk you through it.

02-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #47
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got a little sleep, and am less frustrated, and intend to wipe all work from the computer, and start with new down loads.

But… I said something, that in retrospect could be misunderstood.
My comment was,
"The learning curve is not steep, the teaching curve is flat."

I hope that no one here thinks that I was referring to all of you, generous, talented pioneers that have helped me.
I was referring to Pentax, (and most conglomerates,) and the current attitudes they have towards their customers.

PENTAX...
1) Do not rename stuff and then act like you invented it! It is software, not firmware. (About that Initial Power-Up Actuation Valve, IPAV, on your new car (that cost you an extra $1200.) We used to call it a choke. )
2) Make the download easier. I know making it difficult and cryptic, insures you'll not be replaced, but I can recall a time when doing a good job insured you would not be replaced. Fix the computer glitch, don't market it as a feature. (I'm not up to speed with the newer computers, but I started out punching holes in cards. And as a student in the 80's, I wrote Thermodynamics programs for the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Wisconsin.)
3) Get somebody to answer the dang phone! Why are your customer service hours like that of a Banker's? You are not in the banking industry. Most people need help with their cameras when they try to use them. Most people use them after work and on weekends. Duh? (In order for a business to be successful these days, you only need three windows. One that takes your money. One that delivers your product. And one that services your product. And under no circumstances should all three windows be open at the same time. It's the closed one's fault. Not convinced? Try buying a Pentax. It's so easy a pigeon could do it. I could get you 30 cameras in the next 30 minutes. But try to ask a factory rep a question about a product you've already paid for, and the response could take days. And don't count on it being correct.)

Now that I feel better, I'm going to start downloading the necessary files. And if it doesn't work, I'll relate the same sentiments to the computer people.

Thanks to all, I hope next communiqué is one of celebration., as I have too much ground to cover
Kurt

PS. Just got a Wollensak RAPTAR 135mm f/4.5, and a Rodenstock-OMEGAR 75mm f/1.45 to go with the Schneider - Kreuznach COMPONON 80mm f/1.56. I don't know anything about them, but they cost less than the shipping, and I'll try these copy lenses as Macros for coin shoots. But first I need to build a better copy stand. Oh, wait, I still got to get Mom out of jail.
02-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, "firmware" *is* the usual term for this sort of thing - see Firmware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. As the article points out, there is no hard and fast line between them, but one typical way of drawing that line is to call it firmware if it is stored permanently in ROM or static RAM. And that definitely applies here.
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I got it.

02-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
And feeling a little cocky...
Marc, If it were permanent, I would not be replacing it.
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry Marc,
Your point is well taken, Thanks for the input. I was just feeling a testosterone rush.

I have to do a little paper work, but hopt I can get back soon with results instead of complaints.

Thanks again Marc
02-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jatrax! Thanks for helping and thanks Kurt for asking. I was , with your help, just able to update the firmware on my K-7 that I bought (used) last month. It had never been updated. Now, if only I can find the Custom menu to set it for my old lenses. I read the instructions for the umpteenth time, but I must be blind.