Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Need Basic Assistance with K-x...

I bought a K-x. Because I bought a bag full of Pentax P3n bodies and lenses at an auction for $90, and thought the lenses might work on the P-x.
My primary goal was to do coin shoots. And given a "formula" for settings, I can do OK.
But I think the camera is too rich a learning device to keep in the house.
Taking it outside, I discovered I need assistance...

1) How do I turn off the self timer?

01-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Original Poster
The 2 second delay is great for coin shoots. It gives me the opportunity to take my shaky hands off the camera, and get them out of the light.
But when I put on a telephoto lens and went out side, I tried to shoot diving ducks.
Every time I pressed the shutter release, there was a 2 second delay. And the duck dived.
This would never work for sporting events, so there must be a way to turn off the self timer.
Help appreciated.

2) Is it my inexperience and ignorance, or does this camera not like cold Wisconsin winters?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kurt
01-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you have a copy of the K-x manual? If not, it is a handy thing to have about.

You can turn the 2s timer off by going to the 4 way controller on the rear of the camera, pressing the top button (above 'OK'), de-selecting 'Self-timer- 2sec', and selecting 'Single Frame Shooting'.
01-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kurt Atlas Quote
2) Is it my inexperience and ignorance, or does this camera not like cold Wisconsin winters?
The batteries don't work well in cold weather, and it's important to keep in mind that the K-x is not weathersealed...
Also, have you upgraded the firmware to the latest version?

01-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
I think the selecting "Single Frame Shooting" did the trick. Not intuitively logical, but with the help of experts, it works.
The firmware is not upgraded. I believe I need to get a new 32 Gig chip and download from the Pentax website. (Need a good source for the chip, but still have to deal with my dial up connection.)
Batteries were charged and warm. I just had trouble looking through the viewfinder.

One step at a time = Learning.
Thanks
Kurt
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think the selecting "Single Frame Shooting" did the trick. Not intuitively logical, but with the help of experts, it works.
The firmware is not upgraded. I believe I need to get a new 32 Gig chip and download from the Pentax website. (Need a good source for the chip, but still have to deal with my dial up connection.)
Batteries were charged and warm. I just had trouble looking through the viewfinder.

One step at a time = Learning.
Thanks
Kurt
No need to get a 32GB card... any SD card you have already will do.
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Kurt,
Do yourself a favor and read the manual. I am seriously not trying to be rude, but the level of frustration you are going to develop is going to be enormous if you don't understand the controls at the very least. There is a learning curve and it can be steep.
1) Read the manual
2) Make sure you have the firmware updated
3) Read a good general photography book, I suggest "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson

In your other thread you mentioned getting a 500mm all manual telephoto. Again your frustration level is going to skyrocket. That is not the lens to be learning how to shoot ducks with. Most folks will sit that lens on a tripod and use a remote release to get clear shots with it. And you are trying to hand hold it? With the 2 second timer on?

Sorry to be so blunt, but I hate seeing someone set themselves up for failure.

What other lenses did you get in your 'bag'? Maybe there is something there that would work better.
01-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Twitch,
I think it was the Pentax Company site that stated the 32 GB card was required for the firmware updates.

Jatrax,
You can't be rude to me. Just honest.

I am in the position of many newbies. Excited at small progress, and wanting to do more. Often without research. Who hasn't?

In this case I did consult the owners manual (page 131) where it told me how to activate the self timer. But it did not explain dow to dis-engage the self timer.

I thought I updated my firm ware with a 16 Gig chip, but now I am not so certain.

As my allowance allows, I will try to acquire "Understanding Exposure."
You are perceptive to note that I do not have a solid foundation in photography.

My original purchase included two Pentax P3n bodies with Pentax 50mm 1:2 lenses (I presume Kit.) I could easily sell one of each. But I think the kit lens has great possibilities.

Also included was Sears 70-210 1:4 that I will never again attach to the K-x because of the difficult removal that (thanks to this website) I attribute to the "Ricoh Pin."
Ditto a Ricoh 50mm 1:2.8.

In the bag was a Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 that I have been using for the silver dollar pictures.

Then I bought an ASAHI bellows system to use with a newly acquired Nikon- EL Nikor 105mm 1:5.6. I will need some advise when it comes time to assemble, but I think I'm off to a good start.

On a lark, I thought the camera needed to go outside, so I got a Five Star 500mm.

As I have to work for a living, I have not been able to spend as much time with the camera as I would like, and many of the lens adaprors are still in transit, most of my projects are incomplete.

But in the greater scheme of things, I'm a fool on a mission.
With a fabulous support crew, and limitless possibilities.

I guess my life dreams are fulfilled. I'm a senior citizen still acting like a puppy.

Only because of all of you.
Thanks,
Kurt

01-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The firmware is not upgraded.
Please do. The firmware upgrade fixes the K-x's first power issues. You can check if you're using the current firmware (v1.02 for the K-x) by holding the MENU button while turning the camera on.
01-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Twitch,
I think it was the Pentax Company site that stated the 32 GB card was required for the firmware updates.
I will guarantee you that you have absolutely positively misread the information. Sorry, but there is no possible way on gods green earth that you need a 32GB card to do a firmware update on a K-x.
01-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, I have my good old 270MB card to do all updates for K7,KX and Q.
no problems, works well

kind regards
jack
01-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I will guarantee you that you have absolutely positively misread the information. Sorry, but there is no possible way on gods green earth that you need a 32GB card to do a firmware update on a K-x.
It's 32MB, I used one for my K-5.
01-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter

You can't be rude to me. Just honest. I am in the position of many newbies. Excited at small progress, and wanting to do more. Often without research. Who hasn't?
Kurt,
I certainly have! I went from point & shoot cameras to a k-x about 2 years ago and was stunned to find the quality of the pictures I was taking was much poorer than what I had taken with my $200 point & shoot. I almost sold the k-x and went back to the P &S but I was determined to figure it out and after much research and learning I have managed to get my skills to the point where I am no longer embarrassed by what I shoot (most of the time). The learning curve on dslrs is very steep, you have to understand photography, and how your camera works and sometimes it seems nothing works the way you thought.

This is a very friendly forum, so just ask. The book I recommended has been out for a long time, I think it is in the 3rd or 4th edition at this time and the older editions are widely available at libraries and used book stores. I picked up a copy for friend at a yard sale for $3 last year. I did not understand it all the first read but as I went through the learning process what I had read started to make sense. I have read it through three times now and things are starting to click.
01-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
In your other thread you mentioned getting a 500mm all manual telephoto. Again your frustration level is going to skyrocket. That is not the lens to be learning how to shoot ducks with. Most folks will sit that lens on a tripod and use a remote release to get clear shots with it. And you are trying to hand hold it?
It's totally possible to get good, sharp shots handheld at 500mm, but it takes a steady hand and setting the shutter speed high enough (over 1/500th sec.) to avoid blur. The good news is that the K-x has good high-ISO performance, so you can crank the ISO up to 1600 in daylight & shoot handheld at around 1/1000th, no problem. I do it all the time.
01-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #15

Original Poster
Oh boy...

I really need to win the lottery, quit my stupid job and get a life pursuing my dreams.
Would that I could pause right here and fill in my Bio.
But I heed to gain a little high ground first.
Remember, "It's hard to focus on draining the swamp, when you're up to your 'sweet cheeks' in alligators." But my mission is to drain the swamp. So we press on.

Everyone here is so helpful, and diverse in their talents. I know we'll "Get 'er done."

Maybe I can sew up some loose ends.

I got the impression a 32 Gig chip was needed to download the firmware from this web site.

Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

Twitch, you may be 1000% correct that I don't need the 32 Gig to update. And maybe Pentax is just putting out that information just to sell more chips? I don't know. So I come here and ask.
And I like asking questions here. Because this forum offers reason, discovery, learning and fellowship, in preference to a scorecard of who's right and who's wrong.

And yes, I am working with version 1.00 and should have 1.02.
Maybe I can use the 16 Gig in the camera for an update, but I have no experience in these matters, and look forward to learning how to go about it.
And as a side bar, I couldn't find a 32 Gig in my small town, either at Wal*Mart, or Staples, and should I find that it is necessary, may have to shop on-line.

I've got the manual. But life is so short, I'm tempted to shoot before read.

And about the tripod for 500mm lens, I get it. I don't hand hold for coin shoots, and I would't hand hold for most planned long shots either.
Gibby, your point is well taken, but I still plan to build a tripod on my back porch that rivals an artillary piece. When I can share a snap of my back yard, you'll agree that you would too.

And now I look forward to taking and sharing a few pictures that will help everyone understand my situation.

Thanks, Kurt