Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 01:06 AM   #1

DPReview is cheating?

Hi,

I've been wondering since 1 year ago about DPReview.
In "Cameras receiving the most clicks in the last five days.", 400D always ranked in 1st place all the time (1 year). And in 10 list, mostly sit by Canon. I smell a conspiracy here.
400D is launched 1 year more. So there's nothing new about it. Why the hell people still looking at it? i was also shocked why the new camera (A700) is not even listed.
If new camera was released, most people will actually interested about the detail, so they clicked. Not clicking an ancient model like 400D. I still can't believe it.

To me, bad conspiracy between Canon and DPReview. Especially to DPReview, they fake the real data to all visiters. I'm pretty sure all review about Canon product are not true (manipulated).
So what do you think?

kyrios

12-31-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've seen them call out Canon faults in their reviews when needed. Don't go looking for conspiracy theories. The reality is that out there in the real world, the XTI is *hugely* popular.

I pass no judgment on whether it's a *good* camera, but there's no question it's far more popular and, as a result, googled / looked up on DPReview then the A700 or any of the Pentaxes most of us have.

Just my $0.02 Canadian.
12-31-2007, 03:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
But how about D300? It's new model and is Nikon. And must be atrracting lot of people to look/click on it.
I'm bet when D90 comes out, still less popular than 400D?

kyrios
12-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No conspiracy. The vast majority of people going to DPR are not forum members. They go there to read the reviews of cameras they are looking to buy. The Canons in general, and the Rebels in particular are the the most word of mouth recommended cameras , so it just follows that they get the most clicks as people follow up.

12-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That is just the way it is. Doesn't effect me really.

If someone opposite the door decides to plunge his head into toilet seat, I would only admire him doing so ...
12-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
If someone opposite the door decides to plunge his head into toilet seat, I would only admire him doing so ...

LOL.............
12-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #7

"So what do you think?"

I think you're posting on the wrong site.

12-31-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That is just the way it is. Doesn't effect me really.

Agreed, admiration is in order.
12-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The XT and XTi are hugely popular because they appeal to the people wanting to move up from a P&S. Of course, to us seasoned photographers, those cameras look like toys that could actually be used for something else quite easily.

Last edited by tux08902; 12-31-2007 at 11:19 AM.
12-31-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Look at the margins. Although it's number one, it's only 2.5%. That is, 97.5% of views are of other cameras.
12-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Do you see any other dSLR's advertised on television? I truthfully have not, except for the Digital Rebel.
12-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
Do you see any other dSLR's advertised on television? I truthfully have not, except for the Digital Rebel.
This is probably the reason in my opinion that the XTI is as popular as it is.

During just about every football game you see atleast one Cannon XTI commercial. I would be it is one per quarter or atleast one per half. I can't even recall ever seeing a nikon or pentax or another brand advertising. I think I may have seen a sony one on TV but sony has the camera advertised in NYC subways cars along with some other products.
12-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
OK, thx you. In my country, Nikon brand is more popular than canon (in DSLR market).
but Canon brand is sticked tightly to printer brand.
Need DSLR, buy nikon.
Need printer, buy Canon.
Need glass, buy limited (it's joke )

kyrios
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nikon has run what they call the 'picture town' ads a couple times, but definately not as much as Canon runs their ads. All they have to do is associate the Great White lenses with canon (for those who don't know much about cameras), then drop a rebel ad during a sporting event that will inevitably show a bunch of pros with Great Whites, and boom- people associate rebel with canon, and canon with the Great Whites, and the Great Whites with pros, so suddenly it becomes in the consumer's mind 'The pros use canon, sounds like a great brand to me!'

Besides, there are all those anoying Maria Sharipova ads too....
01-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #15
Forum Member

I don't think there is any conspiracy. Canon is by far the most popular camera maker.

Here is a list of the top selling items in Camera & Photo on Amazon, updated hourly.

Of the top 20 items, 15 are Canon.