Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tried out Fuji X100

Today I had an opportunity to try out a Fuji X100. Love the way it looks and feels in my hands. Sadly to say, the rest of the camera did not impress me. Now to qualify things, I am a noob to digital cameras and am experiencing difficulty in finding a camera that works well with my hands, ie, control placement, size, and use.
Picture quality is fine, just the rest of it does not work well with for me. As for using it in manual mode, forget it. Too difficult to use the focusing ring. The viewfinder (range finder in this case I believe) is also difficult to use when focusing manually. Should be used as a point and shoot. A hell of a lot of money for such a camera!

01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Are you new to photography or digital photography?

I have heard that the X100 is not a camera for beginners. I think Ken Rockwell said something to the effect of its a camera that experienced photographers use for fun.
01-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well, the X100 is a point and shoot, it's not a rangefinder although it's styled like one, and it happens to be a P&S that is very expensive but produces stunning images. Also, I think you are confusing "manual mode" with "manual focus" which is meant to be horrible with the X100. I agree with the point above about it being a fun camera for an experienced photographer.
01-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

The X100 is like dating a model who's good in the sack. She's temperamental, sometimes tough to figure out, but there's not much else like her. I love mine, but I'm experienced and I know my way around it. There is a high learning curve, but once you figure it out, like any good film, it's smooth sailing.

Most of the big problems with the camera are myths by the way. The AF is slow only if you don't know how to use it or think every camera is a D3S, the battery life is fine, and it so ABSOLUTELY NOT soft wide open (except in macro mode).

01-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
The X100 is like dating a model who's good in the sack. She's temperamental, sometimes tough to figure out, but there's not much else like her. I love mine, but I'm experienced and I know my way around it. There is a high learning curve, but once you figure it out, like any good film, it's smooth sailing.

Most of the big problems with the camera are myths by the way. The AF is slow only if you don't know how to use it or think every camera is a D3S, the battery life is fine, and it so ABSOLUTELY NOT soft wide open (except in macro mode).
+1 on this review. Exactly.
01-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
The X100 is like dating a model who's good in the sack. She's temperamental, sometimes tough to figure out, but there's not much else like her.
If you've actually had a model in the sack, this thread just became a lot more interesting
01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been looking at the X100 for a while now.....I don't think I have seen so much love/hate for a camera. "Quirky" is a word that seems to come up in every review, I have read about jumbled menus, shutter lag, write times, odd manual focus. But even with these negatives it still ranks among the favorites of many photographers.

The body is gorgeous, it may be photographed as much as it is used to take photos. I am having a hard time staying away from the X100 Flickr groups which have amazing images. The focal length seems ideal, and the fact that it fixed is probably a good thing The price is the only thing that is holding me back from getting one. A purchase seems imminent, I'm sure once I pull the trigger I won't regret it.
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The X100 is a production prototype. For manual focusing, just put it in manual mode, aim where you want to focus and push the AEL/AFL button. Simple. Why bother turning the focus ring if you can do that.

I shoot a lot in aperture priority mode with auto ISO set to top out at 3200 and auto DR on. I pick the aperture, point and shoot. Pretty simple. It is a bit of a pain when you want to take it off auto ISO and go into manual. They put ISO setting and auto ISO on two different menu tabs. I also assign the FN button to ISO and that helps a lot.

The picture quality is more than good; it is excellent for an APS-C sensor. There is a Post Your Fujifilm X100/x10" picture thread and you are welcome to submit.

01-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
An old hand at photography, been dusty for about 20 years! No digital unit as of yet, as I am having difficulty figuring the things out. I suppose the salesman was simply trying to figure me out and handed it to me to play with. After all the fanfare about the camera, I am simply surprised that my thumb kept pressing the wheel button. Guess it was too crowded on the back of the camera for my clumsiness. Hamfisted I am.