Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok I shouldn't have said TTL. What I meant was I want my eyeball to look thru the lens, not to look at a screen at arms length like a cell phone. I think I can pan better and see focus quicker....that's all. Probably feel this was since i went from the old twin lens look down cameras to slr's and never looked back. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

02-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
TFT and EVF viewfinders for digital cameras | DigicamGuides.com
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
Ok I shouldn't have said TTL. What I meant was I want my eyeball to look thru the lens, not to look at a screen at arms length like a cell phone. I think I can pan better and see focus quicker....that's all. Probably feel this was since i went from the old twin lens look down cameras to slr's and never looked back. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
I completely agree with you on that.
02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I completely agree with you on that.
+1. No question about that from me, either.

02-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If they make a good full frame mirrorless, I'll buy one.
02-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If using a mirrorless camera is anything like using my little pocket camera with only an LCD screen I can't say the idea really appeals too much. I kind of loathe LV dependent cameras actually and use it rarely even with my DSLR. My little LV dependent pocket cam seems pretty useless except in really bright light. I can use my DSLR in a club and while the low light is awkward I'll usually still be able to get something halfway decent.

I can never seem to do that with a camera that is LV dependent or by focusing using an LCD screen. Being able to use any camera lens with an adapter would be cool. I'd love to have a DSLR that does that. But I don't want that capacity I don't think if I have to take a mirrorless camera to get it. It just doesn't seem like a good tradeoff to me. I don't know. Maybe I'd feel differently if I got my hands on a mirrorless camera with something basically resembling a traditional view finder but so far the pics I've seen of those cameras just don't much appeal to me.

The only one I've even seen in the store so far is the little Nikon one and even then the display model wasn't live. How the heck you're supposed to demo a camera with a non-working display is beyond me but apparently at my local Target you're just supposed to guess what it's like to use one just by looking at a non-functional display. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could take a look at one? He just shrugged and said they came that way and that he didn't have a functioning demo to show me. $700 they want for the thing and you can't even check it out before you buy it apparently. ;P
02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make it FF, K-mount compatible, great VF, and a matching excellent flash unit !

Then ... I would certainly be interested.

JP

02-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Manual focus!

I only have one reason: I can manually focus better with EVIL cameras than I can do with OVF.
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If using a mirrorless camera is anything like using my little pocket camera with only an LCD screen I can't say the idea really appeals too much
Don't worry, it's nothing like your little pocket camera.
02-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Don't worry, it's nothing like your little pocket camera.
When they don't know what they're missing, they don't miss it.
02-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #42

Recently I grabbed my colleague's Nex and it slipped off my hands many times and if not for the hand strap, I would have broken it. Handling wise I don't think DSLR users like these tiny things. On the other hand AF system is not so efficient than the ones we see in point-and-shoots. These things can not replace a DSLR for sure, but can be very handy in some situations where a DSLR is not necessary or can not be carried. With a smaller sensor, we do have to lose where thinner depth of field is necessary.

However I doubt that mirror less cameras may be an attractive entry for enthusiasts...

I used Nex-3, 16mm f2.8 and 18-55mm.

Last edited by gut1kor; 02-01-2012 at 11:45 PM.
02-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #43

I don't know why any working professional would want a mirror-less camera...

I understand why mirror-less works if you're shooting video. I understand why people who favor smaller point and shoot cameras would be interested.
But I can't understand how any professional users or serious amateurs(who are often better photographers than those who are paid)
would have any interest in these toys. Staring at the back of an lcd? Fighting glare in bright light or any light for that matter? Having to hold the camera away from you decreasing steadying ability and inarguably increasing shake.
I shoot portraits and also weddings. Can we hear from those who know how difficult it can be to capture the right angles and moments in a large wedding with hundreds of guests?
I just can't see how i can get my shot if my angle is determined by where I can see the screen the best. This changes everything about composition. Anything can shoot well in ideal conditions. I like to get my shots sunrise, sunset, heavy contrast, backlit, etc. etc. This is sometimes even hard through the viewfinder when staring into the sun. How can we think our images aren't going to suffer here. It removes visualization from the equation and incorporates the influences of seeing the lcd screen(the finished picture) into every shot.
Am I missing something about this mirror-less technology. I always thought these cameras were good for people who liked point and shoots, but wanted to be able to use more serious lenses. Which is great. But why is Pentax neglecting their working pros.
Goodness. This company makes some of the finest lenses in the industry. Why can't they just make a DSLR with all of the right things at the right time. We need a 35mm-equivalent(I don't like the term FF) sized camera and we need Pentax to focus on their shortcomings. We know their strengths. That's why most of us are here. We know about their fantastic weather-sealing. Great quality far exceeding its price-point.
But we need attention in some other areas. I own a K-5. I sold one recently and kept the other after Pentax finally fixed it and corrected some things(I had to make quite a stink to get the warrantee coverage I was entitled to).
I have many Pentax lenses old and new. I use my partner's Canon 5d mkii and 7d. I still prefer a k5. But it's undeniable that I feel more at home with a 5d in terms of lenses. Focal length is a big deal to me. I know in my mind exactly where I need to be to get the composition and framing I desire, because I know what a 105 lens or a 50 or a 24 will do.
I don't like when companies neglect big sections of their base. Anyone who does serious video editing has seen this with Apple's pathetic release of final cut non-pro X. I hope Pentax has something better up their sleeve than another toy.
Although, if it becomes super popular, that means more money for other projects and hopefully better DSLRs which they already do a fine job at.
Can someone please tell me if I'm missing some detail about taking photos through a screen that makes it easier than looking through a lens?
I just can't see how taking 4500 photos in a day that way can be easy.

Thank you.
02-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
Mirror-less does not imply that there is no 'normal' viewfinder. Look at e.g. the Panasonics and Samsung NX10/21/(future?)20. Even our old P&S (Olympus SP500UZ) had that functionality.

I agree with your sentiment; I can't imagine holding a 200mm steady at arm length (not to mention my SuperTak 300/4 which is already difficult enough on a dSLR without using a tripod).

And my reasoning that I want a mirror-less (with a short registration distance) is that I can start using the Minolta MD glass that I used on my old X700 and the donated Olympus OM glass. But I indeed will get one with a 'normal' viewfinder.
02-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrightStar Quote
But I can't understand...
It comes from within.