Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #1

Why the delay with Live View?

It seems that there are two delays associated with taking pictures in live view with my K-7:

1) The time delay between an event and that event showing up on the screen in Live View.
2) The time delay between activating the shutter release and the camera capturing the image on the sensor.

The question is why the delay in either case? With millisecond LCD response times and trillion operations-per-second processesors shouldn't producing a fairly instant live view be easy to do?

Do other Pentax models have a faster Live View than the K-7? What about other camera manufacturers?

02-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Mirror.

K-01 = problem solved.

Jason
02-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, Jasvox has the humorous answer to number two. Number one could be any number of factors - most likely the processor.
02-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All cameras I have worked with have had the #1 delay, including the recently introduced Fuji X10 and the much acclaimed Fuji X100. It must be a delay from processing the images.

The #2 delay can have various causes depending on camera type. Some DSLRs close the shutter, flip the mirror down to measure the light and perform auto focus and then the mirror must go up again and the shutter open for the shot to be taken, other cameras use contrast detect auto focus which usually is slower than the phase detect auto focus of an SLR. The Pentax Q has a relatively fast contrast detect auto focus and this technology is improving all the time. It shall be interesting to see how the K-01 fares in this area.

02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanker Quote
1) The time delay between an event and that event showing up on the screen in Live View.
I'm not an expert but I believe the time to extract the data from the sensor is a significant factor. It's quite a lot of data, and the sensor interface is serial. Then it has to be processed to turn it into a viewable image.
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The Mirror.

K-01 = problem solved.

Jason
That's pretty good. I would like to see if the lag issue is improved with the K-01. Point & shoots seem to have the same (or worse) lag as the K-7 so I am not so optimistic.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, Jasvox has the humorous answer to number two. Number one could be any number of factors - most likely the processor.
That I would believe due to the size and cooling requirements of an adequate processor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
All cameras I have worked with have had the #1 delay, including the recently introduced Fuji X10 and the much acclaimed Fuji X100. It must be a delay from processing the images.

The #2 delay can have various causes depending on camera type. Some DSLRs close the shutter, flip the mirror down to measure the light and perform auto focus and then the mirror must go up again and the shutter open for the shot to be taken, other cameras use contrast detect auto focus which usually is slower than the phase detect auto focus of an SLR. The Pentax Q has a relatively fast contrast detect auto focus and this technology is improving all the time. It shall be interesting to see how the K-01 fares in this area.
Thanks for the comparison info with the Fuji models. That mirror does get in the way sometimes, but I would hate to lose the OVF. Yes, I too would like to see how the K-01 performs in this and other areas.

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
I'm not an expert but I believe the time to extract the data from the sensor is a significant factor. It's quite a lot of data, and the sensor interface is serial. Then it has to be processed to turn it into a viewable image.
I did not know they used a serial connection. Wonder why not something faster? It would be nice to have the option via 2-position switch to sacrifice certain aspects of Live View picture quality for speed. This might be cheaper than up-sizing the processor.
02-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanker Quote
What about other camera manufacturers?
DSLR cameras seem to generally have crappy implementations of LiveView. I heard it's the case for some Canons too. MILC cameras are much better. MFT is very responsive and AFAICT A77/A65/NEX7 are excellent too.

BTW, it's (1) that I see as a problem - (2) has never been a problem for me. In the case of the K-7, the mirror is not an issue, as it does not move to cause (2). It's just in the K-x/K-r that it moves. I attribute (1) to the sensor not being optimized for fast readout.