Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can one get a Zeiss 15mm Distagon mounted on the Pentax?

Would the high lens price be worth whatever benefit this lens would provide?

02-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No on both. It is a lens for people who have no problem shelling out $7,000 for a M9.
02-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not available in ZK (Pentax) mount as far as I can see. Might be in M42 which you could use. But that is a lot of money for a lens, not sure the average person would see the advantage. I know I sure would not. But then I am still trying to work my way up to average...
02-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Would the high lens price be worth whatever benefit this lens would provide?
I think you've answered your own question. You'd have to have a firm idea of what you want if you were prepared to buy such a lens.

There is nothing magical btw about Zeiss lenses. They have their flaws - as any test site will show - and there are often better lenses out there.

You might find this a useful read if you are looking into Zeiss glass:

DxOMark - Zeiss lenses: Is high-end always the better choice?
'So although these lenses are masterpieces of build quality, their results may not always be as good as expected.'

02-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Be prepared

I use a number of Zeiss lenses over few decades and I love them.

BUT, if you have recent Pentax dSLRs, please be aware of this - Zeiss in Germany politely told me in e-mail and letter that they think these cameras do not work well with their ZK lenses. I can confirm their opinion with my experience & frustation. May be that is one of the reason why they stop making ZK lenses.

However, my ZK lenses are great on old Pentax film cameras. I also occassionally use my 6X6 Zeiss lenses on dSLRs with an adapter without problem.
02-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not available in ZK (Pentax) mount as far as I can see. Might be in M42 which you could use. But that is a lot of money for a lens, not sure the average person would see the advantage. I know I sure would not. But then I am still trying to work my way up to average...
It's not available in any mount except ZM. There are rumors of a new Zeiss 15mm for ZE and ZF.
02-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Why did Zeiss say they are not tops for dslr's?