Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I think we are reading this wrong, if your gear is rubbish but you still take nice images that would mean you're a great photographer right?
So take it as a compliment ^^

02-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Over on the other forum a poster that goes by 'brandrx' said "Pentax makes beautiful cameras for beautiful people". Ignore the idiots. Let your images speak for you.
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
But you see, many people who are insecure about their qualifications as photographers seem to think they if they carry (what is universally accepted as) semi-pro gear, the may be respected as if they were pro photographers.
"I'm not really a photographer, I just play one in my fantasies." Yeah, something like that. I believe the technical term is poseur. I don't concern myself with people play-acting at being competent. (I'll omit the mine-is-bigger-than-yours jokes.) A professional wants results (and payment), not respect from the hoi-polloi.

I know that prize-winning (and well-remunerated) images have been shot with Holgas. I know of situations where it's best NOT to seem a photographic professional -- be inconspicuous! My hero is pioneering PJ Alfred Eisenstaedt, whose line was, "Don't mind me, I'm just a little guy with a little camera." (With which he took the famous VJ-Day sailor-kisses-nurse shot, among many other classics.) I loved my YashicaMat TLR and I'd hang it on my shoulder... whilst actually shooting with a Canon Dial-35, which looked like a sophisticated meter rather than a camera. Got many good images with that distraction.

I only worry about others' insecurities when they're armed and scared.