Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

My Vision of a Dream Camera from Pentax

Now Pentax are employing top furniture designers for their camera bodies I thought I'd put out an idea to see who bites...

So for my dream camera.

'Retro' is seriously fashionable right now, not just because of classic looks but because 100 years of camera evolution ended up with a camera that was a beautiful fit in the hands and which was both logically and ergonomically set out - so rather than re-invent the wheel I would dip into Pentax heritage. My first serious camera was the Pentax MX - 35 year on I still have that camera and every time I pick it up and look through it I realize what I miss - even from my K5 which in many ways is it's spiritual successor.

So with the MX body as the base here's how to work it...

1 - I don't buy the 'needs to be huge' philosophy of modern SLRs. Looking at the empty space left by the film canister and opposite film chamber there is room for a decent battery in one and a lot of electronic gubbins in the other. The one snag is the autofocus, but does that really take up that much space?More than all the gearing for the wind-on? If I'm wrong, and it can't be done just apply all the below to a KX or LX (film) body.

2 - Shutter speeds. A traditional dial. We prefer them, the market loves them (see Fuji, Leica) so why not just stick with the MX dial - just add an 'A' for auto and 2000, 4000, and 8000ths to the dial. Remove the 'B' and 'X' positions as the camera will sort flash automatically. Add an 'L' position which gives access to slow speeds and 'B'.

3 - ASA. Keep the same ASA dial inside the shutter dial - simply add an 'A' position for Auto,

4 - Aperture. Around the lens throat where it always should be so that people learn to hold the camera properly. Add an 'A' position.

5 - Where the film label is just fit a really good (OLED?) screen - 2" would do.

4 - On the rear, right at top right have three buttons. Far left 'green' (as on K5), and then two others that will do 'up and down'. These to be used for things like the range of auto ASA, 'L' shutter speeds, white balance etc.

5 - Below these a configurable AE-L.

6 - On the left of the screen (because there's lots of space there!) have any other access buttons you need, though personally I'd keep it as clean as possible with just the review, delete, menu buttons and the K5 type lever for metering options..

7 - A RAW button as on the K-5 and the focus type lever (plenty of room).

8 - Battery grip based on the old winder - they wouldn't even need a new mold and here fit a meaty pop-up flash coming out of the grip. NO flash on the camera body. I know this is 'brave' but with the High ISO performance of the K-5 I've taken two pictures with flash and regretted not using faster ASA instead on both occasions. Built in flashes are generally feeble and too close to the lense. Put it into the battery grip where it can pop up further away and draw on much bigger battery reserves and be bigger and you have something worth having! Want a bigger tilt/swivel flash, just use the old MX motor-drive case and make a beefier version.

Operation will be pretty intuitive - if both lens and aperture are on 'A' you are in program mode (which can be configured as with the K5). Both Speed and Aperture on 'manual and the ASA on 'A' you've got auto ASA and so-on.

Any good or should I design sofas..?

02-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If the K-01 needs to be big, then it should be like this :

My version...haha
02-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

like the version over, i think the rubber around would be awesome, just through that around a k5 successor (with mirror) and im sold.

to OP i am not sure if pentax should make a real retro camera, it would be to much like the fuji x100, but a spotmatic/MX style new cam would be cool though.

i once saw some samsung dev camera that would never be made but just some "see what i can do" thing. it was a box camera, it was cool as hell