Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Oh Dear

That parallels the thinking we're being subjected to everywhere these days - "why worry, I can always buy another one" or when your car breaks down - "step into the main dealer, hold out your wallet and say loudly "help yourself". If a little bit of attention will mend it, I say mend it. The information has never been easier to come by.

02-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlvr Quote
Why not get rid of these problem cameras (*ist DL, *ist DL2, K100D) and get something else? I am not sure what capacitor to use or where to solder it. I have seen no clear pictures or instructions of the process to apply this fix. For all I can see it is one costly paperweight.

I'm considering another one of Pentax DSLRs, but do any of them have this or a similar problem? In fact, I just cannot help but wonder, how long can we expect any of these DSLRs, from any manufacturer last? I am tempted to think for one of these electronic wonders to last a decade would be a long time. In contrast my old Pentax ME Super has lasted me for nearly 30 years and four CLAs (Cleaned,Lubed and Adjusted). As a film camera it was not top of the line, but was well made and lasted a long time. It was even worth getting fixed. Perhaps I should just go back to a simple and rugged old film camera.

I need more information before spending my money on another DSLR. I just hope someone on this forum can recommend an answer to these questions.
Do not dump your DL until you have tried Eneloops. There was a thread about this a while back and the issue was hashed out very well. It is about a capacitor on the DL circuit board that goes bad and inrush current. It gets technical. The gist of it is that you need a battery that has low internal resistance, like Eneloops. Buy, beg, borrow a set of Eneloops and give it a try, they aren't that expensive.
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #18

The digital *ist line and possibly the K100D were the only Pentax DSLR's with the capacitor problem (that I'm aware of). They must have gotten a batch of circuit boards with poorly constructed capacitors and the capacitors didn't start failing until long after they left the stores. Pentax isn't the only company to sell an electronic product with faulty capacitors which caused problems later. They are, unfortunately, reliant on the quality control process of the vendors making the components for their camera's.

Quote "Why not get rid of the problem cameras"
Not all camera's in the digital *ist/K100D line are affected and the digital *ist is a fine camera with a good sensor even though it's only 6Mp. For those who are aware of the issue and have found a battery type that the camera "likes", it's a workable soulution. I do believe that a thorough write up of this issue needs to be put together including all known working solutions and then make it a "sticky" so that it's easy for new users to find. I do agree with you questioning the longevity of electronic camera's I own an early model Spotmatic that was last serviced in 1980 and is just now ready for another CLA, I am pretty sure my *istDL2 may not be working in another 40 years, It's the difference between "modern" fragile electronics and "old school" mechanical components.
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Do not dump your DL until you have tried Eneloops. There was a thread about this a while back and the issue was hashed out very well. It is about a capacitor on the DL circuit board that goes bad and inrush current. It gets technical. The gist of it is that you need a battery that has low internal resistance, like Eneloops. Buy, beg, borrow a set of Eneloops and give it a try, they aren't that expensive.
I'll try it thanks! I can finally rid myself of these 15 minute charge Ray-O-Vacs( they get VERY hot after charging and work only half the time).

02-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the post referred earlier at
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/13335-ist-dl-batteries.html

This post talks about soldering a capacitor in the battery compartment to fix the problem on the fourth page or so and gives other suggestions. I have had the same problem with my old oat DL and may pull it out and see if I can fix it.
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I had a similar problem with my ist DL ... tried many different batteries to no avail. Using a set of batteries that had previously not worked, I turned on the camera while holding down the menu button ... as if I were trying to check the firmware version. It did give me the firmware version ... no more dead battery symbol. It then started up and worked fine. Before I experienced the problem, the camera had sat unused without batteries for more than a year.
02-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several folks have recommended the Eneloop batteries as a possible solution to the *ist DL problem. I figured I could use them in my flash if they didn't work in the camera so I ordered a set from Amazon. They arrived today and the camera came on fine with the batteries right out of the package. Now I think I will order a charger that will charge a single cell at a time.

02-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
Several folks have recommended the Eneloop batteries as a possible solution to the *ist DL problem. I figured I could use them in my flash if they didn't work in the camera so I ordered a set from Amazon. They arrived today and the camera came on fine with the batteries right out of the package. Now I think I will order a charger that will charge a single cell at a time.
Glad to hear that your DL is up and running again. I use a Duracell CEF 23 charger. Look on ebay, it is now discontinued. Sony also makes one (also on ebay). There are other better (and more expensive chargers).
02-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I bought some Ray O Vac Pre-Charged Rechargeable batteries today. Could not find any Sanyo Eneloops locally in the stores. But these are low self discharge, and they seem to function beautifully! My *ist DL is working again!
09-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
Mine does the exact same thing when using normal alkalines or NaMh's. Check the memory card door and make sure the memory card is properly inserted. Keep going from on to off to on to off until it powers up. Once it was just being ridiculous and it took me like 30 tries from power off to power on until it finally started up. And it didn't do it again until I had to change batteries again.

Since then, I've been using lithium batteries and I haven't had the problem.
Thanks and I was having the same problem and now thx to you it's fine now
07-24-2017, 04:06 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by 4morse Quote
I had a similar problem with my ist DL ... tried many different batteries to no avail. Using a set of batteries that had previously not worked, I turned on the camera while holding down the menu button ... as if I were trying to check the firmware version. It did give me the firmware version ... no more dead battery symbol. It then started up and worked fine. Before I experienced the problem, the camera had sat unused without batteries for more than a year.
Thank you so much for posting this! I had the exact same problem as you and was about to take the camera for a potentially expensive repair. Instead I tried your method and my camera is now working again. Brilliant!
07-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Readingred Quote
Thank you so much for posting this! I had the exact same problem as you and was about to take the camera for a potentially expensive repair. Instead I tried your method and my camera is now working again. Brilliant!
Additional- got a reply to one of my requests for a quote - would have cost £120 & the shop wanted to take the camera apart. Checking here got the job done for nothing- plus I found a suggestion to get the firmware updated & now the camera can read from SDHC cards. Result!