Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

*ist DL won't power up

My *ist DL will not power up. I have new batteries in the camera and all I get is the emtpy battery indicator flashing. I change the battieries and the same thing. Any one have any idea's on what this could be?

Thanks

01-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We need more information to answer your question. What kind of batteries? If NiMH do you mean new as just bought them or new as just recharged? If you just bought them you will want to charge them first. My NiMH batteries are infamous in my K100D, just this morning I took a set out of the charger and put them in and the battery indicator flashed. Standard NiMH cells are know to slowly discharge when not being used. I need to order some Eneloop and replace all my Impact cells I bought from B&H over the last year.

Do you have a set of fairly new alkaline cells? They have a long shelf life and should last long enough to test your camera.
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi.
Hmmm. We have two DL's in the family and both have given a similar problem. One I can not get to as its in NZ so I am not exactly sure what the problem is with that particular camera, but I do know it has had a tough life in snow fields...so I would reserve judgement on that one.

The other one did a similar thing to what you are saying: I removed all the batteries AND the SD card, pushed every button I could find to push on the camera. Re-loaded fully charged batteries, inserted the card....and away it went, no more problems.

If that did not work my next trick was to try a different set of new batteries as it is possible to get a bad or weak cell.

Hope it works for you.
Good luck.
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
*ist DL won't power up

I'm from Chicago area so I have left the camera in the car in the cold. Can that affect that camera at all long term? or damage it in anyway?

As for batteries I have tried brand new non-chargeable, also tried Chargeable then recharged those batteries and still the same. Chargeable are NiMH. Nothing seem to correct the problem.

01-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chicago, try removing and replacing the SD card - if it's not seated correctly or the door isn't closed all the way, the camera usually won't power up. Good luck.
01-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
... the door isn't closed all the way, the camera usually won't power up. Good luck.
I've become an expert on, "Memory Door Open" having broke the door switch off my K110D circuit board. The symptoms are slightly different than a dead camera. With the door switch indicating open the top display will come on after a second for about a second. During that second you will see the frames remaining, battery indicator, etc. If there is no memory card as well as door open the frames remaining will show as zero.
01-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #7

Mine does the exact same thing when using normal alkalines or NaMh's. Check the memory card door and make sure the memory card is properly inserted. Keep going from on to off to on to off until it powers up. Once it was just being ridiculous and it took me like 30 tries from power off to power on until it finally started up. And it didn't do it again until I had to change batteries again.

Since then, I've been using lithium batteries and I haven't had the problem.

07-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #8

I have been having this problem recently too with my *Ist DL.

I have tried all sorts of battery combinations, but it is definitely a problem with the camera - I know because the same set of batteries in my second *Ist DL shows them to be fully charged.

The only way I have found to resolve this problem is to quickly flick the on/off button as far as it will go quickly (i.e don't stop at ON). This has worked for me so far. Perhaps the on/off switch might be going faulty?

Last edited by Accommodation; 07-29-2011 at 06:25 AM.
07-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a DL that would only power on with Eneloops. No other battery worked. Try Eneloops.
02-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #10

*ist DL won't power up

I'm having the same trouble as the rest of you folks on this thread. My troubles started today when I was trying to take some pictrues for World Pentax Day. I've tried other batteries including alkaline, lithium. All brand new out of the box and fully charged. Just a flashing battery empty icon when the on/off power switch is turned. Sometimes after several tries a set of Ray O Vac 15 minute NiMH (2000 mAh) will succeed, but not always. Often it will stop and display battery depleted and shut off.

Everything was working fine for nearly four years of ownership. I tried to think what I might have done differently that may have caused this problem. The only thing I can remember is trying to use an old Minolta Auto 35 flash with a Wein Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync. Perhaps the Safe Sync isn't so safe.

I'm reassessing whether to replace the DSLR, these cameras seem rather delicate. This is the second digital camera to go bad on me without any abuse at all ( the other being an Canon PowerShot A310). I take good care of my equipment. Perhaps I need to look into going back to film and use a simple manual sturdy SLR (K1000 anyone?). It seems they lasted far longer with less trouble than these consumer electric wonders on the market today.

Some input from other people on this forum would be greatly appreciated. I am very upset and disappointed about this.
02-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #11

Correction on the flash unit, it is a Minolta Auto 32.
02-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Accommodation Quote
I have been having this problem recently too with my *Ist DL.

I have tried all sorts of battery combinations, but it is definitely a problem with the camera - I know because the same set of batteries in my second *Ist DL shows them to be fully charged.

The only way I have found to resolve this problem is to quickly flick the on/off button as far as it will go quickly (i.e don't stop at ON). This has worked for me so far. Perhaps the on/off switch might be going faulty?
i have the same issue and find rapidly moving the on/off switch solves it, probably a new switch would fix it, but not going to happen!

Tuggie76
02-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #13

Maybe

Someone somewhere posted details about fitting a small capacitor into the battery circuit to give an extra kick at startup. Needless to say I can't remember who or where but it's out there and might save a lot of expense.

BFN
David
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #14

The post about the capacitor was from an Engineer in Africa, I read it but I can't find the post. To summarize, there is a capacitor on the circuit board that evens out the temporary(split second) battery voltage drop when the camera is first turned on. If this capacitor goes out (this seems to be an issue) their is nothing to keep the battery voltage from temporarily dropping from the high current draw while the camera is powering on. If the battery's voltage drops below a certain level (even for a second) the camera will assume the battery is depleted and will give you a flashing empty battery symbol. I own one of these problem cameras (istDL2), I found that good quality NiMH rechargeable batteries give me reliable use. Other peoples cameras would only work with Low Self Discharge batteries like Sanyo Eneloops or the Duracell equivalent (AKA Duraloops). It seems that some batteries are more susceptible to the voltage drop than others if you cant find something that will work, search for posts about ist battery problems and you'll eventually find the right post. The engineer goes into detail about how to solder in a replacement capacitor to permanently fix the problem.
02-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #15

Why not get rid of these problem cameras (*ist DL, *ist DL2, K100D) and get something else? I am not sure what capacitor to use or where to solder it. I have seen no clear pictures or instructions of the process to apply this fix. For all I can see it is one costly paperweight.

I'm considering another one of Pentax DSLRs, but do any of them have this or a similar problem? In fact, I just cannot help but wonder, how long can we expect any of these DSLRs, from any manufacturer last? I am tempted to think for one of these electronic wonders to last a decade would be a long time. In contrast my old Pentax ME Super has lasted me for nearly 30 years and four CLAs (Cleaned,Lubed and Adjusted). As a film camera it was not top of the line, but was well made and lasted a long time. It was even worth getting fixed. Perhaps I should just go back to a simple and rugged old film camera.

I need more information before spending my money on another DSLR. I just hope someone on this forum can recommend an answer to these questions.