Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
JG, so you're saying that the AF is definitely quicker with SR turned off? What about fps?
Yep. I would say try it for your self. I have read that the shake reduction is worth 1 to 2 stops...What does this mean exactly...On my fast lenses it is faster with the shake reduction off. No doubt about it. Shake reduction in low light, really slows up the auto focus. I have also heard this to be true of image stabilized lenses for both canon and nikon so It is not a pentax problem..I think it is simple physics..Before it fires it must stabilize.
I also read that when using flash, to turn of the shake reduction...I have down this and the camera responds very quickly and the pics are sharp.

These 4 shots were taken at the zoo last week with no shake reduction. My little K100D super was kicking but. No way would I have got this sequence with shake reduction on. I may have gotten three pics, but not four...These were also shot at ISO 800

Last edited by jgredline; 01-02-2008 at 07:43 PM.
01-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
JG, so you're saying that the AF is definitely quicker with SR turned off? What about fps?

Rickster, can we see that laser test with the laser panning on a tripod and you following it with the camera handheld?
I need to find a small geared down motor to swing the laser. Will post here if I find one.

Last edited by Rickster; 01-02-2008 at 08:59 PM.
01-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking something a little more low tech, like a helper, to swing the laser
01-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rickster, that laser idea on the previous page was a clever one. Answers it very clearly there. As Cartman would say... Kick A**!

01-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I was thinking something a little more low tech, like a helper, to swing the laser
All I have for 'helpers' around here are two cats. They do swing their tails a lot but ...

I asked Jack and he did his "LOL" thing ...

Last edited by Rickster; 01-02-2008 at 08:58 PM.
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I have read that the shake reduction is worth 1 to 2 stops...What does this mean exactly...
It means what it says. Each "stop" is double the amount of light of the previous, so two stops means you can work with a quarter of the light you could normally. Since shake reduction works against shutter speed, this means you can double (one stop) or quadruple (two stops) the exposure time without getting blur from camera shake.

I don't think enabling SR should slow things down, because the camera will happily fire before stabilization is active — if you want it to work, though, you have to wait a few seconds after half-press for the SR icon to light before taking the shot.
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Rickster, that laser idea on the previous page was a clever one. Answers it very clearly there. As Cartman would say... Kick A**!
It's an 'occupational hazard' with me ... I'm a retired engineer. (E.E. type )

01-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
[snip]
These 4 shots were taken at the zoo last week with no shake reduction. My little K100D super was kicking but. No way would I have got this sequence with shake reduction on. I may have gotten three pics, but not four...These were also shot at ISO 800
Wonderful series!!! You did good!
01-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I asked Jack and he did his "LOL" thing ...
Now I need a new k'board - not often anyone gets me laughing out loud.

Anywho, you could hang the lazer from the ceiling and have the cats take a swing at it - that will move it non!
01-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #25

Did you tape the laser to the lens or did you had somebody to help you?

Guido

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
If the laser is attached to the camera and SR is off you should see a dot. When SR is turned on you should see the relative motion of the CCD to the laser. (I think) If the laser is mounted on a tripod and swept horizontally you would see a line or if panning a dot. The presence or lack of "wriggles" in the captured image should give an indication of the SR effect.

OK ... I did a quick and dirty test ... I was panning in both images a plain wall.

Here's the image with SR off ... as expected there is a dot (the laser is a cheapie so the dot is not perfectly round)

Here's the image with SR on - we can see the camera shifted the CCD to compensate for hand shake.

01-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geyst Quote
Did you tape the laser to the lens or did you had somebody to help you?

Guido
The laser pointer was affixed to the flash mount aligned pretty much in the center of the field of view. Makes a decent AF target that way.