Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shake Reduction Question

The question came up in the "post your photos" forum about the affect of having shake reduction "on" vs. "off" when panning with the K10D. The manual goes into a few scenarios where the SR may not fully function and recommends "off" when using a tripod, but nothing about panning. Can anyone enlighten me? Is SR "on" during panning good, bad, or makes no difference?
If nobody can answer, I will do an experiment and post the results. It would go something like this: 4 pictures
lens at 200 mm
#1 - f6.3, 1/800 sec, SR on
#2 - f6.3, 1/800 sec, SR off
#3 - f14, 1/100 sec, SR on
#4 - f14, 1/100 sec, SR off

01-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shake Reduction can minimize small movements in the camera characterized by small accelerations. A smooth pan will only have 2 accelerations. one when you start the pan and one when you stop the pan. If your shutter is opened after the start of the pan and closed before the end of the pan, all the SR can do is minimize the non-linear parts of the pan.

cheers,
Rick
01-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as rickster points out, as long as the pan is smooth, shake reduction will not cause any problems, and would be useful because even if the pan is smooth in the horizontal, the K10 for example has rotational and vertical shake also.

Perhaps this is something for pentax to consider,. someone else, I think sony has the ablilty to turn off the horizontal mode of shake reduction to allow for panning.

Maybe a future upgrade.
01-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps I am alone, but I could swear that with shake reduction on in my 100dsuper, it really slows up. With it off it speeds up. I do not notice that much of a difference on the K10D

01-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess I'm the one that originally suggested switching-off the SR figuring that, if the camera is moving on purpose, the SR would be defeating its purpose.

Again, it was only a suggestion on my part but, you could test-it-out no matter what.
01-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I guess I'm the one that originally suggested switching-off the SR figuring that, if the camera is moving on purpose, the SR would be defeating its purpose.

Again, it was only a suggestion on my part but, you could test-it-out no matter what.
We could probably cobble up a test or two using a laser pointer to determine the efficacy of SR while panning.
01-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rick,

The laser pointer test sounds interesting. What will we see with SR on vs. SR off; a dot, a straight line, a wavy line? That would be an indicator of what's going on, or not going on.
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Rick,

The laser pointer test sounds interesting. What will we see with SR on vs. SR off; a dot, a straight line, a wavy line? That would be an indicator of what's going on, or not going on.
If the laser is attached to the camera and SR is off you should see a dot. When SR is turned on you should see the relative motion of the CCD to the laser. (I think) If the laser is mounted on a tripod and swept horizontally you would see a line or if panning a dot. The presence or lack of "wriggles" in the captured image should give an indication of the SR effect.

OK ... I did a quick and dirty test ... I was panning in both images a plain wall.

Here's the image with SR off ... as expected there is a dot (the laser is a cheapie so the dot is not perfectly round)

Here's the image with SR on - we can see the camera shifted the CCD to compensate for hand shake.

Last edited by Rickster; 01-02-2008 at 07:32 PM.
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #9

This picture is made panning with SR on.

Guido

01-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The KHundredD manual recommends turning off SR while panning at slow shutter speeds - and fails to indicate what a "slow" shutter speed is...

I noticed some odd effects when testing SR at about 90th and slower with SR on.
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Forum Member

Anyone know why the manual recomends turning SR off while using a tripod? On occasion, I have forgotten to turn it off and don't seem to notice any ill effects? Any ideas or has anyone noticed any problems?
01-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The lack of movement from using a tripod could throw off the SR and cause it to hunt.
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AV82GOLF Quote
Anyone know why the manual recomends turning SR off while using a tripod? On occasion, I have forgotten to turn it off and don't seem to notice any ill effects? Any ideas or has anyone noticed any problems?
there are different, and not compensated properly vibrations at high frequency on a tripod.
01-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know. My first Pentax was the K110D (no shake reduction) and at first my pictures were a little bit shaky to say the least, but after a half year or so, It forced me or taught me how to properly hold my camera and now I get some really good sharp pics with it. In fact now on my 100dsuper and K10D i normally have it off now as I enjoy the faster auto focus more than the shake reduction. Now the only time I use the anti shake is when I am using a lens longer than 250mm...Other wise it is off...

When I have talked with folks who own the 1st ds as well, they too get some great pics as do film photographers who got used to not having the anti shake...
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JG, so you're saying that the AF is definitely quicker with SR turned off? What about fps?

Rickster, can we see that laser test with the laser panning on a tripod and you following it with the camera handheld?