Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Quick question.

What is the estimated cycles for the K10D? Is it 100,000?

01-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think that specification, as it relates to the K10D, has ever been officially released by Pentax. However, according to info released by various manufacturers in the past, virtually all modern cameras have estimated lifecycles equal to or exceeding 100,000 shutter activations.

stewart
01-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Interesting! Never occurred to me to consider this factor re. cameras. How does this estimation compare to, say, that of film SLRs?
01-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best Pentax SLR pro body (am I going to start and argument now?) was the LX and it was rated at 100,000 before the shutter would need an overhaul. I remember seeing that in the brochure when I bought my first one. That seems to be the assumed norm these days with all upper end units.

01-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Camera manufacturors don't publish information like 'number of cycles' for the shutter because the general public (1) doesn't fully understand what the number actually means and (2) would attempt to hold the company liable if any particular unit should 'fall short'.

Here's a typical JFDavis zinger: I doubt 10 people here actually know what the number means, and seven of them would get the explanation wrong.

Under normal operation your camera should get you to the next evolution, quite possibly it will last much longer.

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
01-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote

Here's a typical JFDavis zinger: .
Darn! I was sure you were going to say "It will work until it doesn't work anymore."
01-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Yes. According to Pentax Japan.

PENTAX Products : Digital Cameras
01-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Here's a typical JFDavis zinger: I doubt 10 people here actually know what the number means, and seven of them would get the explanation wrong.

Yes, this is typical. John likes to be begged.

OK, I'll beg. What DOES the number mean?

Will

01-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In actuality it's nothing more than a simple average. There are some conditions: the equipment is beyond the initial introductory stage and not yet to the end of it's life; this middle period is sufficiently long--more than the beginning and end times combined at least. It's replaced or repaired when it fails, not scrapped or salvaged. Then it's the mean failure time of all such unit failures; exactly as the sum of x numbers divided by x. It's not a statistical predictor of any sort.

To get to a prediction, one would need to know the failure rate function; obtained by knowing or estimating the failure point of all equipment of type 'N': guess the function, make a correlation/prediction. Then the mean can be used to give a statistical probability that a unit might fail at any particular time. Such as 20% chance of failing in one year, or 6% chance of failing in 18 months. Such an estimate made with a small sample of units would have an accuracy directly proportional to the quality of the data-the more units known the better-up to some point.

But these don't tell which units will fail, just the number of units per 100 at any particular time. And because of the small sample quality data thing, it's mostly an exercise in statistical mumbo-jumbo as far as any individual user/owner is concerned.

While the manufacturer, Pentax in this case, might have the information to derive such a function, estimate a prediction and act, it probably wouldn't do so unless the problem item afflicted a significant number of owners. During the warrantee period there is no driving force to make such a study--just replace the unit. With the K10d we are scarcely out of the introductory period, the point where such a prediction would become meaningful. As with most manufactured commodities most of the significant problems have been found and fixed. And long before we reach the end of the cameras useful life another newer camera will probably be developed and offered at market.

Until spare parts supplies are exhausted any unit superseded by something newer is actually in a bonus period--one should, properly consider shutter activations in this period as 'gravy' or 'sauce' or a 'bonus'---the company is not going to retro-tool to make new 'old' units or spare parts.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Yes, this is typical. John likes to be begged.

OK, I'll beg. What DOES the number mean?

Will

Last edited by jfdavis58; 01-01-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Additional info
01-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #10

...Blimey!