Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, after finding a K-5 body on e-bay for only $400, and then a K10D for $160, my search just got more complicated again! If I can find a K-5 deal like that, I may just have to give her my hand-me-down K-r

02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Well, after finding a K-5 body on e-bay for only $400, and then a K10D for $160, my search just got more complicated again! If I can find a K-5 deal like that, I may just have to give her my hand-me-down K-r
I would be suspicious of anyone selling a K-5 for $400. Even $600 for body only would be concerning to me that something might be wrong with the thing. Read and ask many questions but be very careful of someone offering a K-5 for $400, is what I can suggest.
02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I would be suspicious of anyone selling a K-5 for $400. Even $600 for body only would be concerning to me that something might be wrong with the thing. Read and ask many questions but be very careful of someone offering a K-5 for $400, is what I can suggest.
Sounds hot to me. or damaged beyond worthwhile repair
02-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #19

In the 350-400$ my bet would be a K20D. different from what you have, has WR. No idea in US, but in Europe you can find one for that amount.

02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
Inactive Account

For the price you're looking to spend, I'd suggest K200D. I got one for my wife a few years ago and she loves it. Other options, K20D, K10D (it's what I use), or cautiously a KX (it would be a cheap KX).
A lot depends on her as well.
Does she already know SLR photography? Higher end camera if yes.
What will she be doing with the photos? Electronic viewing or printing no bigger than 8X10? Then include the *istD series.
Do you think she'll want to continue and upgrade to a more current model soon? Spend less just to get started.
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
For the price you're looking to spend, I'd suggest K200D. I got one for my wife a few years ago and she loves it. Other options, K20D, K10D (it's what I use), or cautiously a KX (it would be a cheap KX). A lot depends on her as well. Does she already know SLR photography? Higher end camera if yes. What will she be doing with the photos? Electronic viewing or printing no bigger than 8X10? Then include the *istD series. Do you think she'll want to continue and upgrade to a more current model soon? Spend less just to get started.
Calicojack, why the lower view of a K-x? Based on the prices Henry's is charging for used Pentax bodies, you aren't the only one who thinks this way. I'm looking for a second body, but also (and primarily) a teaching camera for my kids to go along with my K-5 and the huge collection of lenses I will one day amass in my 5 year plan .
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am very weary of that K-5 seller. I'm not in a position to buy immediately anyways, but I think regardless I'll be grabbing a K200D when I do buy the camera. Will give me a bit more wiggle room for buying a good lens as well.

@Calicojack - She doesn't know much SLR photography. She only knows what I have taught her, which isn't much myself. I just got my K-r for Christmas. We'll most likely end up having prints greater than 8X10. We plan on having a photo gallery room in our house at some point dedicated to just pictures of our own. She may way to upgrade to a more current model, but it probably won't be all that soon. We'll likely spend our money on getting a solid kit of lenses together before we upgrade the bodies themselves.
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I won't bother any Pentax DSLRs b4 the K-m cos AF performance was so poor. I would just get this for her to be honest unless she requested DSLR specifically.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interchangeable-Digital-14-42mm-40-150mm/dp/B0...pr_product_top

02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All the reviews I read on the K200D said that the AF was very solid. And I'd rather a Pentax K mount DSLR so we can share lenses without worrying about a lot of adapters.
02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

wlachan has a very strong opinion when it comes to Pentax; nothing wrong with that, he/she might even be right at occasion.

Nor me nor my wife have a problem with slow AF on my K100D; might depend on what you use it for.
02-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

All the reviews I read on the K200D said that the AF was very solid. And I'd rather a Pentax K mount DSLR so we can share lenses without worrying about a lot of adapters.
I have a K200D, the AF is very good, slow compared to K-R, but very accurate. Unlike my K-R the K200 will focus in Tungsten light. IMHO, the K200D is the last Pentax DSLR that will act as a Point and Shoot when set to 'Autopict'. This could be useful during the learning phase, as a good shot builds confidence. The K-R and K-X do funny things with flash in Auto mode. My wife does not want to 'mess around' with the camera controls, she wants to push the button and get a good shot, the K200D does this quite well for her, the K-R doesn't. The camera has limitations (all do), but if you shoot inside it's 'envelope' it works very well indeed.
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks gp! She's very interested in learning all the different settings. What kind of limitations are there for the K200D?
02-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The main limitation of the K200D, for me, is high ISO shots. The K200D is also slower to focus than the K-R, but it seems faster than the K100Ds that I had before. The frames per second of the K200 is less than the K-R. The K-R does high ISO well, so this might work out good for you. In bright daylight where I can shoot at low ISO, I prefer the look that the K200D gives more than the K-R. The shots from the K-R seem to need more PP that those from the K200. Also a big advantage the K200 has over the K-R is weather sealing. I've used mine in the rain forest of Costa Rica during a rain with no problems (I have the WR kit lens). I've taken it to the beach many times, and used it during a snow storm (I have the battery grip for extra power in the cold). I would be afraid to do all that with the K-R.
Marc S. gets great stuff from a K200D. He gets much better high ISO from it that I do. I've read that he shoots in raw and underexposes and pulls the image up in PP. I don't have good software and it didn't work as well for me.
02-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter

What kind of limitations are there for the K200D?
Highlight clipping when shooting JPGs is my only complaint. I get much better output shooting RAW. Ok, to be perfectly honest, I would like another usable stop of ISO - 1600 is marginal under most conditions.

I love the weather sealing, top LCD, and stellar ISO 100-400 output. I think a K200D and a K-r would be a great complimentary pair, but the K-r would likely give more pleasing output to a beginner, shooting jpgs in auto or semi-auto modes.
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

She's very interested in learning all the different settings. What kind of limitations are there for the K200D?
Well, it doesn't have video, unlike the K-r.
and the back LCD is very very different. It's also prone to more noise in low ISO.