Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which one?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a solid, used DSLR (Pentax brand of course!) that I could be on the lookout for. My girlfriend is wanting to get a camera of her own and I'm going to try to find one for her as a present. I'd like to spend no more than $300-400 on the body. If I could find a good deal with a lens or 2 included for a little over that, then that's ok. But try to keep it under that if at all possible. I don't know anything about any of the other DSLR bodies available from Pentax, other than my K-r that I have, but I definitely won't be able to find one of those for $300. We kind of want a 2nd (different) body anyways so we have 2 different ones to play around on.

Any suggestions?

02-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Get yourself a K-5 and give her your K-r

Otherwise it seems that only K-5 is still in production.

Another option is to wait a couple of weeks to se what news Pentax is going to come with.
02-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at the price you are looking you can probably find a good used kx with a kit lens which is the predecessor to your kr and operates very similarly
02-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I can't blame you for wanting your girlfriend to have a body that is different from yours so you can play around with it. That sort of thing often times leads to marriage, if you are lucky.

You might want to think about including the K20 in your search. Places (online) like Best Buy might still even have refurbished, very much like new, K20 somewhere in your budget. It is a little bigger and heavier than your K-r and a really nice camera.
I'm not sure if the K-x is enough unlike your K-r for what you hope for but I they might be close to your budget on the used market.

02-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There's been a couple K-x's in the marketplace recently going for about $300, some with kit lenses included. This was the model that precedes your K-r, and has similar specs. Or if you want the bigger weathersealed body, look for a K20D, or for less money, a K10D. Both good low-ISO cameras, with the K20D having a bit better higher ISO capability and a few more features.
02-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked at a K20D on ebay, but all the prices were ~$600+, which had my very confused. Is this just uninformed ebay sellers trying to take advantage? I don't see how a K20D, which is much older than my K-r, could be selling for the same price, or more.

What is y'all's opinion on the K200D? I found a few on ebay for $150 or so, which would give me room to buy her a decent lens as well. It's also weathersealed.

Stanislav- I wish! If only I had that kind of money right now... Although if I did, I may be dropping it on a few new lens goodies rather than a new body.
02-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, I completely overlooked the K200D - very nice, weathersealed, with roughly the same specs as the K10D, IQ-wise (same sensor). IMO, there are better deals here on the PF Marketplace than on ebay.
02-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

agreed^^^^

a K10 with Grip should be $300 or so now as well. And depending on what is announced at CP+ other cameras will come down.
K10 is a great very solid camera with better iso 100 than anything since if you ask me but it's not a high iso monster. your Kr would ave to be that

02-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright thanks! I'll keep an eye out for any good K200D or K10s that may pop up. Will probably buy just the body and get a lens to go with it. I may upgrade my kit lens and give her mine! Time to start debating between a Tammy or sigma.
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What are yall's thoughts on the ist series? I don't know anything about them, and don't know if those would be a viable option for as well. I'm leaning towards the K200D right now because it has wonderful reviews and is a very good price, which would leave me some room to buy her a good lens to go with it.
02-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Well I can't blame you for wanting your girlfriend to have a body that is different from yours so you can play around with it. That sort of thing often times leads to marriage.
Yup. Happened to me.
02-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
What are yall's thoughts on the ist series? I don't know anything about them, and don't know if those would be a viable option for as well. I'm leaning towards the K200D right now because it has wonderful reviews and is a very good price, which would leave me some room to buy her a good lens to go with it.
The *ist series are fine, but are getting a bit long in the tooth. I love my *istD dearly and would get another if something happened to it. That said, if you're going the 6mp route I'd suggest a K100D or DS. A bit newer, a bit faster, with a slightly refined jpeg engine, and SR. Excellent image quality and they can be found pretty cheaply these days.
02-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great thanks Paul. I'll probably find her a nice K200D so I'll have a little bit of wiggle room for a lens as well. I'll probably buy an upgrade to my 18-55 kit and then give her that.
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ds is a really nice well built little camera, and as a manual camera has advantages (like ttl flash use). I still have mine but reality is both the K10 and the K7 are just so much better for almost any use (except TTL flash).
02-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a K200D. The IQ is very good, IHMO, better than the K100D at low ISO. It does not do high ISO, unless you want to do fancy stuff in PP.