Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Getting acquainted with my new K10D

I just got this little beauty today, and I've been playing with it for a few hours now. I've looked through the menu, checked the settings, etc.

Well... I still can't shoot with it. I'm not sure what I've overlooked. I've looked through the operating manual, which goes into great detail, but doesn't tell you what's wrong if you have "F - -" flashing on the LCD display on the top of the camera body.

I have the memory card inserted. Batteries are charged and working. I can see through the viewfinder when I take off the lens cap.

So, what am I doing wrong?

01-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I just got this little beauty today, and I've been playing with it for a few hours now. I've looked through the menu, checked the settings, etc.

Well... I still can't shoot with it. I'm not sure what I've overlooked. I've looked through the operating manual, which goes into great detail, but doesn't tell you what's wrong if you have "F - -" flashing on the LCD display on the top of the camera body.

I have the memory card inserted. Batteries are charged and working. I can see through the viewfinder when I take off the lens cap.

So, what am I doing wrong?
What lens is on it.What shooting mode. Can you ive us some more info.

Dabe
01-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The message is related to the aperture (f-stop) on the lens. The flashing (f-stop alone) means there is no aperture information available to the camera. To resolve this issue, try this. First, remove and carefully reinstall the lens to make certain it is fully attached and seated in the mount properly. If that doesn't work, refer to "The shutter does not release" in the troubleshooting section of the owners manual and pay particular attention to the "The lens aperture ring setting is other than the A position" cause and remedy.

If neither of these work, post here again with specifics about the lens (brand, model, manual or auto focus, etc). Also include any menu settings you've made in the camera relating to lenses and/or any changes you've made on the lens other than focusing and zooming.

stewart
01-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It works! It works!

Thank you all - I'm SO excited to go out and shoot! I can't do it right now, because I have to work in the morning, but tomorrow... Oh yeah!

01-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure what the problem is but I assume the camera and lens are not communicating Fstop information.

Try remounting the Lens.

Particularly if you have an older lens, try making sure the contacts are clean.

If you have an old manual lens, make sure that the aperature setting on the lens is set to A.

Best of luck!

Frank.
01-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It works! It works!

Thank you all - I'm SO excited to go out and shoot! I can't do it right now, because I have to work in the morning, but tomorrow... Oh yeah!

Very happy to hear that. Hope you enjoy the new camera. By the way, welcome to the forum and welcome to Pentax photography.

stewart
01-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Stewart. I've been shooting the odd shot around the house, but nothing outside yet. This weekend, I'll be taking it out for a stroll. Is there a way to override the press-shutter-button-halfway-then-all-the-way mechanism? If I see a good shot, I want to take it NOW; I don't want to wait.

01-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So you don't mind if the camera doesn't focus first?
01-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been focusing by myself for years without help, and I've survived the ordeal.

Also, I've been trying to use my flash unit, rather than the pop-up (which keeps bleaching out my shots), and regardless of the setting, the flash unit doesn't fire. The batteries are working and it's mounted firmly on the hot shoe. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #10

Yes, they had to replace the board on my K10D. as it wouldn't fire sigma 500 or pentax flashes, they both worked on their k10d body. It now works with external flashes.

I would suggest that you take it back to the shop and try your flash on a different body, to see if you had the same problem.
01-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

How old is your flash? If the sync voltage is too high, you might fry your new camera. Try this link Strobe Volts to see if your flash is compatible.
01-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, I've been trying to use my flash unit, rather than the pop-up (which keeps bleaching out my shots), and regardless of the setting, the flash unit doesn't fire. The batteries are working and it's mounted firmly on the hot shoe. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Photogoof, don't know if your K10D operates like my *ist DS, but when I use an external flash the shutter speed has to be 180 or below - if it's any higher, the flash doesn't fire. I "assume" this is because the highest flash sync speed is 180. Good luck.
01-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #13

Thanks, Stewart. I've been shooting the odd shot around the house, but nothing outside yet. This weekend, I'll be taking it out for a stroll. Is there a way to override the press-shutter-button-halfway-then-all-the-way mechanism? If I see a good shot, I want to take it NOW; I don't want to wait.
Yes, in the menu chose the [C]ustom menu, scoll down to "AF by Press Halfway" and press the right arrow button. Chose "off".

The camera will no longer autofocus when pressing the shutter button.
If [AF Button Function] is correctly set then you can press the AF button on the back of the camera to autofocus at any time you feel like.

Regards,
Beej80
01-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a Vivitar 2800. I followed the link for compatibility, and it said, "No?"

Hmmmm.
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a Vivitar 2800. I followed the link for compatibility, and it said, "No?"

Hmmmm.
The 2800 most likely has too high a trigger voltage - you can quickly check it if you have a VOM meter. Simply turn on the flash, let it charge fully, and check the voltage between the center pin and the metal piece under the edge of the mount. It it's higher than roughly 15-20 volts (this figure varies by who you ask and what you read) it should NOT be used with a Pentax DSLR. For comparison, my old Vivitar 285HV measures 6.7 volts (safe to use) and 2 older Vivitar 285's measure 6.8v and 7.1 volts respectively (both safe to use).

Another thing to check - is it "just" a 2800? Or is it a 2800D? If a "D" model, it has a dedicated module - could be for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc - should say somewhere on the unit the mounting foot is on. If it's dedicated to something other than Pentax, it won't work, regardless of the voltage reading.